You are offered your first NHL GM job; which team?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Isles. SO we don't have Snow

I would have loved to have been in Snow's shoes prior to the trade deadline. Could have hauled in a huge return for JT. Already has 1st and 2nd rd picks and from the Hamonic trade. Bellows coming in to play with Barzal I assume next year to be another early Calder candidate IMO. He's going to get a lot of grade A chances playing with an elite Playmaker that Barzal is. Lost chance there with the non Tavares trade.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'm surprised the Islanders are getting as many mentions as they are.

If they sign Tavares to a ~10 million cap hit deal (they get creative with the cap and Tavares is a nice enough guy), they're paying little less than 40 million for Tavares, Ladd, Bailey, Czikas, Clutterbuck, Boychuck and Leddy for the next 4 or 5 years, with Lee, Nelson, Beauvillier, De Hann and Eberle (and Hickey I guess) all needing new contracts this offseason or a year hence.

For comparison sake, Pittsburgh has similar cap constraints to the group of Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Dumoulin and Hornqvist. Look at how each team spends their cap space, then look at the standings. *shudders*

An Islanders GM is stuck between signing guys in the group above and retaining the status quo while losing virtually all cap flexibility to improve the team- keep in mind "status quo" is last in the Metro- or blowing it up and having to pay for people to take on some of their more ridiculous contracts. Either way, a new GM is extending Snow's vision, or wasting years, picks/prospects and the fan's patience tearing it down.

Really, if it weren't for nebulous ownership Arizona is the far-and-away clear winner here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm surprised the Islanders are getting as many mentions as they are.

If they sign Tavares to a ~10 million cap hit deal (they get creative with the cap and Tavares is a nice enough guy), they're paying little less than 40 million for Tavares, Ladd, Bailey, Czikas, Clutterbuck, Boychuck and Leddy for the next 4 or 5 years, with Lee, Nelson, Beauvillier, De Hann and Eberle (and Hickey I guess) all needing new contracts this offseason or a year hence.

For comparison sake, Pittsburgh has similar cap constraints to the group of Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Dumoulin and Hornqvist. Look at how each team spends their cap space, then look at the standings. *shudders*

An Islanders GM is stuck between signing guys in the group above and retaining the status quo while losing virtually all cap flexibility to improve the team- keep in mind "status quo" is last in the Metro- or blowing it up and having to pay for people to take on some of their more ridiculous contracts. Either way, a new GM is extending Snow's vision, or wasting years, picks/prospects and the fan's patience tearing it down.

Really, if it weren't for nebulous ownership Arizona is the far-and-away clear winner here.

I think the reason is they present a challenge, but have assets that an armed chair GM can make moves on, so they are a fun team to rebuild. 2 firsts and 2 2nds already banked. A young outstanding #1C in Barzal to build around. I can see this being an exciting place to GM. A decent goalie would secure the GM job if I were managing. The Isles goaltending this year has probably been the worst in the NHL this season. But an exciting team to GM if you ask me.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Plus probably best or second place to live on the list.

All depends on the person...personally there's nothing anyone could offer me that would get me to live in Arizona...ditto Florida.

Vancouver, on the other hand, I'd take the negatives associated with it just because it's easily the most desirable place to live for me, at least until Seattle becomes an option.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I think the reason is they present a challenge, but have assets that an armed chair GM can make moves on, so they are a fun team to rebuild. 2 firsts and 2 2nds already banked. A young outstanding #1C in Barzal to build around. I can see this being an exciting place to GM. A decent goalie would secure the GM job if I were managing. The Isles goaltending this year has probably been the worst in the NHL this season. But an exciting team to GM if you ask me.

With Tavares re-signed, Barzal is #2C. And for now I would say he's very promising, not outstanding.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With Tavares re-signed, Barzal is #2C. And for now I would say he's very promising, not outstanding.

Some would correctly say Barzal has been both promising and outstanding this year. As for #1C I think its obvious to Isles fans who that is going to be, and some would say has been playing like a #1C more than JT has this year.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Some would correctly say Barzal is both promising and outstanding this year. As for #1C I think its obvious to Isles fans who that is going to be, and some would say has been playing like a #1C more than JT has this year.

He's gonna earn that outstanding if he manages to keep around the current level of play for the next 2 years.

And I would say he has much to learn to be #1C. He's sometimes selfish with a puck, he makes weird choices, he needs to shoot a bit more, in some areas simplify his game, because his tricks (that sure, are amazing to watch) often lead to turnovers. It'll all come with some more experience I'm sure and he's having a great rookie season, but Tavares is still our #1C, as much it hurts you.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's gonna earn that outstanding if he manages to keep around the current level of play for the next 2 years.

And I would say he has much to learn to be #1C. He's sometimes selfish with a puck, he makes weird choices, he needs to shoot a bit more, in some areas simplify his game, because his tricks (that sure, are amazing to watch) often lead to turnovers. It'll all come with some more experience I'm sure and he's having a great rookie season, but Tavares is still our #1C, as much it hurts you.

Why not 3 years then or 4? No, he has been outstanding this year. He's in elite territory as player. Over a PPG over 73 games as a 20 year old rookie. Most Isles fans that I have been posting with this season would disagree with your comment Barzal has not been outstanding this season. If he hasn't I don't know what a player has to be outstanding in your criteria. BTW he has led and co leads JT in points and for well over the past months of the season. You seem high on him.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Why not 3 years then or 4? No, he has been outstanding this year. He's in elite territory as player. Over a PPG over 73 games as a 20 year old rookie. Most Isles fans that I have been posting with this season would disagree with your comment Barzal has not been outstanding this season. If he hasn't I don't know what a player has to be outstanding in your criteria. BTW he has led and co leads JT in points and for well over the past months of the season. You seem high on him.

What Barzal has to do to be outstanding in my criteria? Keep his level of play for more than one season. I'll gladly give him all the honors then. I'm not saying he's bad or simply good, because it looks like the Isles had a crazy amount of luck and landed a great player, but to be called outstanding he's to do more than have one great season. And if Tavares re-signs I can see them in #1A/#1B situation. But yeah, he's a 20 year old rookie. Let's give him time to develop as a player. Just because I'm not so fast at calling him outstanding player after one season, doesn't mean I don't appreciate him.

Hell, there's like maybe 5-7 players in the whole NHL right now that I would call outstanding.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What Barzal has to do to be outstanding in my criteria? Keep his level of play for more than one season. I'll gladly give him all the honors then. I'm not saying he's bad or simply good, because it looks like the Isles had a crazy amount of luck and landed a great player, but to be called outstanding he's to do more than have one great season. And if Tavares re-signs I can see them in #1A/#1B situation. But yeah, he's a 20 year old rookie. Let's give him time to develop as a player. Just because I'm not so fast at calling him outstanding player after one season, doesn't mean I don't appreciate him.

Hell, there's like maybe 5-7 players in the whole NHL right now that I would call outstanding.

According to Websters-Merriam

Outstanding - standing out, standing out from a group.

I think Barzal fits this criteria with his play visually and production as a player and as a rookie. But okay, if you want to not call him outstanding. This is your choice. Not going to disagree with your high standards. I know most Isles fans I have become friends with here the past few years posting about Barzal would disagree with you. I hope you return the favour and respect ours to rightfully call him outstanding and his year outstanding.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
According to Websters-Merriam

Outstanding - standing out, standing out from a group.

I think Barzal fits this criteria with his play visually and production as a player and as a rookie. But okay, if you want to not call him outstanding. This is your choice. Not going to disagree with your high standards. I know most Isles fans I have become friends with here the past few years posting about Barzal would disagree with you. I hope you return the favour and respect ours to rightfully call him outstanding and his year outstanding.

It's okay if you want to call him outstanding and his year outstanding, but I hope you return the favour and respect mine to rightfully call him promising and great. At least for now.

And I don't know how I will live through the fact that some Isles fans will disagree with me. I think I'm gonna go cry in the corner now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's okay if you want to call him outstanding and his year outstanding, but I hope you return the favour and respect mine to rightfully call him promising and great. At least for now.

And I don't know how I will live through the fact that some Isles fans will disagree with me. I think I'm gonna go cry in the corner now.

I did, I said it in my last post. And I will repeat it, you can call him more promising and you can use a higher standard of outstanding to your definition if you want. But according to Websters, outstanding to me and others was right in describing Barzal. Not sure what else needs to be said.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If it's *any* team, I honestly would pick Edmonton if it's going to be hockey related and not "well I'd like to live on the beach in Miami" or something.

I still think having a player of McDavid's caliber at age 21 to start with is an unreal leg up, if you are a smart GM (IMO Chiarelli is not) that's an incredibly enticing weapon to build a team with.

If it was basketball, I'd take a team with a 21-year-old LeBron James no questions asked.

Draisaitl as the no.2 is not too shabby either, he projects out to be like a Kopitar player, if that's your 2nd best player in NHL terms that's pretty damn good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad