You are offered your first NHL GM job; which team?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I'd say Vancouver or Buffalo. Just because there huge hockey cities that has never won a cup. Whoever is the coach/GM of those teams and they win a cup, forget it. You'll go down in history

Reactions: vcanuck

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeaaah, okay, I don't have time to keep hitting the wall here. Have a nice day!
:help: me here. You said I said I said I was more right in using the definition of outstanding. But infact it was the Websters Merriam dictionary definition that indeed said my definition was correctly used. Let's move on. I don't think anyone is interested in seeing a debate if Websters-Merriam is not correct here or not.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
:help: me here. You said I said I said I was more right in using the definition of outstanding. But infact it was the Websters Merriam dictionary definition that indeed said my definition was correctly used. Let's move on. I don't think anyone is interested in seeing a debate if Websters-Merriam is not correct here or not.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Are GMs even constantly around the team? Seems to me like many are not.

Once the season starts, as a GM there's not much you can do until around trade deadline time, seems to me like you could go hop off to Hawaii for a week here and there and no one would notice.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Tampa Bay.

No state taxes would make my job easier. Already deep roster and prospect pool. Scouts that seem to already know what they’re doing and all that Florida sunshine and beaches would be a bonus.

EDIT: didn’t read the OP’s post. I guess I’d pick Vancouver based on his list. Very deep prospect pool and one of my favorite North American cities to visit.

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
arizona, their gms seem to have long leashes, and low expectations.

i would probably be able to milk that job the longest, before they realized they hired someone with zero professional sports management experience.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
All depends on the person...personally there's nothing anyone could offer me that would get me to live in Arizona...ditto Florida.

Vancouver, on the other hand, I'd take the negatives associated with it just because it's easily the most desirable place to live for me, at least until Seattle becomes an option.

I can understand Florida but Arizona is dry heat isn't it? Dry heat is so much better than humidity.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Arizona. I like a challenge, the weather is the best and there wouldn't be much pressure to succeed

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Vancouver. I couldn't due any worse than the idiots in charge there now. I would look like a wizard going in there and cleaning up that mess.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Which team would you rather manage, all things considered (ownership stability, current players and contracts, fan base expectations, prospect and pick pipeline, etc) and why?

Detroit
Buffalo
Vancouver
Arizona
Montreal
Ottawa
NYI

Edit: assume you inherit the team today, i.e. no certainty on Tavares resign or Dahlin draft. Assume your job is to build a sustainable winner.

Vancouver so I can live there. There is no good choice in that group.

Reactions: vcanuck

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
First choice is the Flames because I don't think they need many changes to be a good playoff team, and also personal bias.

With that aside:
Leafs: Excellent young core, just a couple of holes that shouldn't be extremely difficult to fill, and owners with unlimited funding.
Preds: Cup contender with a great fanbase.
Sharks: Good balance of vets and young players, ready for a little bit of roster turnover. And great weather.

I'd be tempted to say Oilers as well, because anyone who can go up there and clean up the roster (which actually shouldn't be all that hard, except for Lucic) would look like a god after the years of mismanagement that team has suffered through.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I can understand Florida but Arizona is dry heat isn't it? Dry heat is so much better than humidity.

No aspect of Arizona appeals to any part of me and I just wouldn't enjoy myself there.

Now Portland...that would be a dream job.

Anyway I'd be in the minority for putting such an emphasis on the where rather than the situation, to say nothing of the exact wheres to begin with. If you want to have long-term success in this league that's probably not the wisest first priority to have.

member 298589

Thanks to those who actually read my OP and chose from the list. Figured we could use some positive discussion around some of the struggling franchises for a change. Clearly they all have at least something positive to consider.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Rangers. Biased but we have picks this year. Good goalie prospects. Quantity of good prospects currently and we have an owner who spends but doesn't interfere like he does with the knicks.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
No aspect of Arizona appeals to any part of me and I just wouldn't enjoy myself there.

Now Portland...that would be a dream job.

Anyway I'd be in the minority for putting such an emphasis on the where rather than the situation, to say nothing of the exact wheres to begin with. If you want to have long-term success in this league that's probably not the wisest first priority to have.

No I get you completely. I'd rather make 50, 000 and live in a beautiful location than 200, 000 living in a city with nothing.

I've never been to Arizona personally, but I've only heard great things about it so I'm curious why you're not at all interested in it.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Come on. I wanted to choose Seattle. Start something new. Build from scratch. Must be a fun process. Gm George Mcphee sure enjoyed the whole process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad