Yormark Out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
and who's holding the gun to that lawyer's head saying he must practice this type of law? blaming the client is pathetic. if you do that work, you've chosen to. go work for the state defending the homeless or something similarly noble. there's a need. you may even have your student debt forgiven.

people (need to) convince that they're doing important things. the more $ we make and more questionable the practice, the more we delude ourselves.

The issue isn't what lawyers do; the issue is the nasty prejudicial slanderous original comment, bolstered by a moderator.

And the bolded applies to any group/profession.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
The issue isn't what lawyers do; the issue is the nasty prejudicial slanderous original comment, bolstered by a moderator.

And the bolded applies to any group/profession.

you wouldn't happen to be a lawyer, would you? :)

the issue (apparently) is both what lawyers do and the comments.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Hey guys, let's try to focus here. This is not about whether lawyers are good people or not. This about the end of Yormark's tenure and the beginning of Babich's. So please discuss that. This is straying too far from the topic at hand.

Thanks.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
perhaps because the unethical and amoral elements of the profession are more deeply embedded in our culture? is the ratio of bad lawyers to good ones so much worse than the ratio of, say, bad wall street bankers to good ones?

anyway, we shouldn't get too far off topic, as fun as it might be :)

All I'll say to this is, what do you think the reputation of Wall Street bankers is these days? I don't think the public holds them in any higher esteem than lawyers, frankly.

Erick*

Hey guys, let's try to focus here. This is not about whether lawyers are good people or not. This about the end of Yormark's tenure and the beginning of Babich's. So please discuss that. This is straying too far from the topic at hand.

Thanks.

Yormark is a ********* and great things have already happened since he left. Good riddance.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
and who's holding the gun to that lawyer's head saying he must practice this type of law? blaming the client is pathetic. if you do that work, you've chosen to. go work for the state defending the homeless or something similarly noble. there's a need. you may even have your student debt forgiven.

people (need to) convince that they're doing important things. the more $ we make and more questionable the practice, the more we delude ourselves.

This is another ridiculous statement. There is nothing wrong with being a divorce lawyer, or a PI lawyer, or any other type of lawyer. There is nothing "pathetic" about blaming the client. In fact, I wasnt even blaming the client. The bottom line is that in society there are always going to be conflicts between people. The old fashioned way of resolving conflicts was might makes right. The civilized way of resolving conflicts is in a court of law. So the law is actually a very noble profession as it keeps people from getting their heads bashed in. It allows the little people to take on the rich and powerful. But, any time you have someone being sued in a court of law, theyre not gonna be a happy camper. And so, as is human nature, they seek to point the blame at someone. Who better than the lawyer who is standing up to them in court and trying to take away their money, or their wife, or their kids, or their right to go within 100 feet of whoever, etc.

Now I'll admit that there are some scummy lawyers out there who take on cases that are meritless. I am not one of them. If the facts arent on my side i drop the case and move on. But sometimes I get a client who Im not really sure of whether he is right or not. In that case I have an ethical duty to represent him as best as I can and leave it to the jury to decide what happened. Im sure the defendant over there thinks Im a ******* for taking the case, but screw him. Im totally ok with the fact that every now and again I may help someone who doesnt deserve anything get some money because 1) I dont know what happened cause I wasnt there, so i leave it to the jury to decide what happened, and 2) if 9 out of 10 people I helped were full of BS Id still help all 10 just to make sure that the one person who really needed and deserved my help got the help they needed.

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
The other thing is you have absolutely no idea as to who it is who deserves the blame. Youre not a lawyer. Youve never been involved in an attorney client relationship. You dont know who it is who decided to do whatever it is that you think is dirty or slimey or unethical or whatever. I get clients asking me to do unethical stuff all the time. Ive had to tell many clients, sorry, I cant do that, that is fraud. Yet you somehow think it is the lawyer who is the greedy one? Trust me it is the clients. And you can sit there on your ivory tower and act like youre so saintly, but I know that if you got hurt by someone and knew that you were gonna get money that youd be egging your lawyer on trying to rack up that paycheck. Cause I see it all the time. And my job, which I take very seriously, is to keep the client in check and to make them be truthful and honest. So I know for a fact that if anyone is to blame for unethical behavior, it is almost always the client, not the attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad