Post-Game Talk: Yikes

Who's assigned to Springfield when Luongo returns?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think commitment from owners re: spending has been a non issue. I don’t see where we sat out on a good opportunity because a player was too much money. I’d rather have Tallon be limited in free agency anyway. They brought in Hoffman and could have easily conceded his roster spot to a cheaper young guy on an ELC. We’ve had zero issues extended the core too.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I also said one more piece, not pieces. And okay, "comfortably enough" was an exaggeration but it was doable. We have McGinn taking up 3.3 mill. Get rid of that (cap dump trade with an asset), you have nearly 5 mill cap space. 5 mill is enough to get a solid second pairing defeceman. Or dump one of Petro/Pysyk on some desperate team and combined with that 1.5 mill, you once again clean enough cap space for a second pairing Dman.

Anyway the point was that the ownership is not willing to spend and I'm not sure I see that when I look at our offseason or this roster. Are they unwilling to spend money?

How can you say that the ownership isn't willing to spend when the way you can come up with enough cap room/money for a new piece is by shipping off salary?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Agreed but where do you put him? I would keep the Trocheck line like this for now which leaves lines 1 and 3. If we move Hoffman up, who gets bumped down?

Well looks like they bumped Sceviour which I guess is the best option at this point. Sceviour in the end isn't a top 6 guy.

Either sit Hoffman or give him more minutes, he useless if he's not playing on a scoring line.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
How can you say that the ownership isn't willing to spend when the way you can come up with enough cap room/money for a new piece is by shipping off salary?
Shipping off cap spendings. Salary doesn't equal cap space; it's why poor shitty teams take on these contracts with high cap hits and lesser salaries to reach cap floor, get assets and save money at the same time.

Anyway I didn't say the owners were unwilling to spend, EnforceTheLaus did. To which I replied that they have been spending (we brought Hoffman and Hutchinson in) and that the cap is pretty high (12th highest in the league). Salary-wise, we are 19th in the league in terms of the money we're about to pay this year. That's not great but it doesn't necessarily scream cheap ownership either. Are they willing to go ower those 76.4 million to 80+ millions, who knows?

IMO we could have added one more piece this offseason without too much pain. Next offseason, there might even be room for two pieces. I want to see if we'll do something with it and I hope we do something about the goaltending situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The team is 1-2-3, let's all pump the brakes a little bit here. They're not out of it yet.
Normally I would say that’s entirely reasonable.

But:
1) Every year is the same.
2) I decided to be chill after Rove and the expansion draft because maybe “this year will finally truly be different”.
3) I don’t see any movement from Tallon to fix either of the two glaring problems at G and D. I see other teams doing something in similar situations, not us. It’s like we’re Ford watching new cars from Toyota and Hyandai every year, wondering how they do it (when it isn’t rocket science).

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
3) I don’t see any movement from Tallon to fix either of the two glaring problems at G and D. I see other teams doing something in similar situations, not us. It’s like we’re Ford watching new cars from Toyota and Hyandai every year, wondering how they do it (when it isn’t rocket science).
Tallon should have got Graubauer, but I don't see any Dman on the market that Tallon could have got. Hanifin and Hamilton are both better than anything we have and there's no way for us to get one when they've been traded for each other. Karlsson was a no go since we have Hoffman.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
We're fine 5 on 5 defensively. If we can keep the games 5 on 5, we're easily a playoff team. The issue is special teams. That's where we are losing games. How does "defense first" apply to the PK and PP???

Speed demons? You're saying because we're slow (we're not) we need to play defense first? You can't win games 1-0 anymore. It's too hard. This isn't the dead puck era.

This team showed post January we can win with this roster, coaching, and system. We had one of the best records in the league. To say we're playing the wrong style, have the wrong players, or the wrong coach, has been proven wrong. We barely missed the playoffs but also showed for a good stretch of time how good this team can be.

So it's clear "showy moves" is not a valid criticism.

You still haven't made a valid criticism of the rebuild or explained how it wasn't followed through.
And like I said, (why can't you get this), it's always going to be something. "Oh well, we had injuries", "oh well, we just need to fix the PP", "oh well, we need to just fix PK", "oh well, we just need another defenseman", "oh well, we just need another top 6 forward", "oh well, we just need secondary scoring", etc. etc.
What's interesting to me, is how with all the crap said on this board, you can spend countless hours fixated on my posts about something unrelated to you at all. I don't get it. So what if said defense first, so what? Why is that such an outrage? We have different opinions, deal with it. So what? Going back and forth over these little dumb points, that's nobody's going to change their opinion over. What I said is not that big a deal.
If you think this is going to get this team to the top, GREAT! Fantastic!!! I don't care. I got my opinion you got yours. You're not stopping me from having my opinion. If you can't handle that, too bad.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
And like I said, (why can't you get this), it's always going to be something. "Oh well, we had injuries", "oh well, we just need to fix the PP", "oh well, we need to just fix PK", "oh well, we just need another defenseman", "oh well, we just need another top 6 forward", "oh well, we just need secondary scoring", etc. etc.
What's interesting to me, is how with all the crap said on this board, you can spend countless hours fixated on my posts about something unrelated to you at all. I don't get it. So what if said defense first, so what? Why is that such an outrage? We have different opinions, deal with it. So what? Going back and forth over these little dumb points, that's nobody's going to change their opinion over. What I said is not that big a deal.
If you think this is going to get this team to the top, GREAT! Fantastic!!! I don't care. I got my opinion you got yours. You're not stopping me from having my opinion. If you can't handle that, too bad.
Then don't reply to me?

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
The problem that exists now is going to be mental since the team has blown leads in pretty much every game so far and second periods have been a nightmare. I don't know how they'll overcome it, but once the same thing continues to happen over and over again, it will spiral out of control and it becomes a scenario like "here we go again". I don't know what the fix is, but they need to something about it and fast especially before December/January comes. You can talk about the loser point and how they're still getting something out of these games, but any way you spin it, they have 5 losses in 6 games and that's not good.

If you look at the next 5 games - NYR,NYI, NJD, then WPG twice, I think they need to be shooting for at least 6 pts out of 10...anything less is a failure. If they can win 2 out of the next 3 and split the WPG games, that would be a decent outcome considering the way things have been going.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
The problem that exists now is going to be mental since the team has blown leads in pretty much every game so far and second periods have been a nightmare. I don't know how they'll overcome it, but once the same thing continues to happen over and over again, it will spiral out of control and it becomes a scenario like "here we go again". I don't know what the fix is, but they need to something about it and fast especially before December/January comes. You can talk about the loser point and how they're still getting something out of these games, but any way you spin it, they have 5 losses in 6 games and that's not good.

If you look at the next 5 games - NYR,NYI, NJD, then WPG twice, I think they need to be shooting for at least 6 pts out of 10...anything less is a failure. If they can win 2 out of the next 3 and split the WPG games, that would be a decent outcome considering the way things have been going.
Good goaltending is the answer. If Reimer and Hutch don't wake up, we'll have to wait for Luongo to be a decent team. Everyone knew it, every prediction was "the Panthers will make the playoffs if Luongo is healthy".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad