Proposal: Yes or No: Hit the reset button on this team

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
So many people focusing on 43 shots like it actually means that we got dominated in the game. Did you even watch? The game I saw had the leafs outplaying the stars for like 2/3rd of the game, by that time we were up 3-0, and were only being out shot by 5.

Would I like this team to be more competent at defending/playing with leads? Heck yes. Am I going to whine and ***** about a win because we got out shot in in the 3rd period while defending a 3-0 lead to one of the more dangerous top 6 offenses in the league? No, and neither should you, they were already winning the game by a good margin after controlling play for two periods. This team has holes, we all know it, but you don't need to blow the team up when we have the pieces we do. Support your team and enjoy the fact that the leafs are on pace for 100+ points. If they collapse, they collapse; nothing is changing on that front in season.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
So many people focusing on 43 shots like it actually means that we got dominated in the game. Did you even watch? The game I saw had the leafs outplaying the stars for like 2/3rd of the game, by that time we were up 3-0, and were only being out shot by 5.

Would I like this team to be more competent at defending/playing with leads? Heck yes. Am I going to whine and ***** about a win because we got out shot in in the 3rd period while defending a 3-0 lead to one of the more dangerous top 6 offenses in the league? No, and neither should you, they were already winning the game by a good margin after controlling play for two periods. This team has holes, we all know it, but you don't need to blow the team up when we have the pieces we do. Support your team and enjoy the fact that the leafs are on pace for 100+ points. If they collapse, they collapse; nothing is changing on that front in season.

I think we have to agree to disagree here, because to me I feel the more shots you allow the more scoring chances and more chances often mean goals against... IIMO 43 shots is far too many to give up, once and awhile its acceptable and happens but when it becomes an almost nightly thing then there's a big issue.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
IMO the Leafs don't need to do a full "reset", they just need to stop repeating moronic mistakes

1. Stop relying on old school coaches like Carlyle and Wilson
2. Stop giving away draft picks
3. Refrain from the free agency market
4. Learn the term "asset managemnt" tanslation if you dont think you can sign a player then deal him for assets
5. Patience with our prospects

If they can follow these 5 steps going forward things will be a lot better in leafland.

It's not that black and white. Take Cody Franson as an example. If the Leafs are bound for the playoffs by the trade deadline, then trading Cody Franson for draft picks/prospects would be a mistake because you're impacting your ability to perform in the playoffs.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
You know what that hints at to me? In the last 20 games when the boys seperate from the men and crank it up we may skid again. When Burke said he can spend to the cap I was hoping so bad that we could make a deal in there. I was hoping for their pick tbh and I said I banked on their collapse. They'll fold just watch.

Of course this team can skid again, but its not games like last night that are going to cause the skid. Being up 3-0 and shutting down the offense is nothing to worry about.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
It's not that black and white. Take Cody Franson as an example. If the Leafs are bound for the playoffs by the trade deadline, then trading Cody Franson for draft picks/prospects would be a mistake because you're impacting your ability to perform in the playoffs.

Or you could look at this way- Lets say we make the playoffs and get bounced in the first r round and Cody Franson takes a higher contract offer from another team and then we lose him for nothing... see what I mean by poor asset managment? It's very risky.

If there's a team making us a reasonable offer for Franson at the deadline, then we should take it, get some assets back and that clears up a good chunk of capspace. If the Leafs are that good of a team then really losing a guy like Franson won't knock them out of playoff contention, now if it was a guy like Bernier then you have a valid case IMO.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Are you planning on winning the Cup in 14/15 with Franson or more concerned with building help for who you are keeping plus Nylander in the future. Don't keep someone who is not the long term plan, get help for those you are building with.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

That's the conundrum the leafs face because on the one hand you want him for a playoff run and on the other if you can't resign him in the off season he walks for nothing.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
That's the conundrum the leafs face because on the one hand you want him for a playoff run and on the other if you can't resign him in the off season he walks for nothing.

There's three options the Leafs really have here

1. Deal him at the deadline
2. Keep for a playoff run and deal him at the draft
3. Keep him for a playoff run and then negotiate a contract with him... this is a lose-lose tsituation because either a) he signs here for an asburd contract OR b) some other team signs him and we lose him for nothing

Those are the 3 options we have... and knowing how its the Leafs mandate to make the playoffs coupled with how conservative Nonis is, I think we can safely rule the first option off the table which leaves the other 2. I really think this is going to come down to option 3 IMO.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

It's actually a no brainier. You sign the D that hits hard and scores goals. He has value and even if you do sign for 5m he is someone you can trade. This isn't Clarkson. It's a consistent D that has size hits and puts up points. Defensively at times in the past not so good but oh well.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
It's actually a no brainier. You sign the D that hits hard and scores goals. He has value and even if you do sign for 5m he is someone you can trade. This isn't Clarkson. It's a consistent D that has size hits and puts up points. Defensively at times in the past not so good but oh well.

Franson is the furthest thing from consistent! He had a shaky 11/12 season, a rebound 12/13 and a solid playoff outing, followed it up with a a decent start last season and faded badly as the season went on, this year he's been one of our best blueliners.

Sorry but nothing indicates to me he is consistent, and he hasn't shown hes worthy of a massive contract at this point IMO... his value is high though which is why it would be the best to trade him while we can get the most return for him.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Shots equal more opportunities to score hence the saying "Get the puck to the net" not rocket science. You may have seen the Leafs dominate 2/3rds of the game but when you give up 43 shots chances are they probably didn't. Reason they won is because Bernier was rock solid again and some great opportunistic scoring.

hockeyfanz*

Shots equal more opportunities to score hence the saying "Get the puck to the net" not rocket science. You may have seen the Leafs dominate 2/3rds of the game but when you give up 43 shots chances are they probably didn't. Reason they won is because Bernier was rock solid again and some great opportunistic scoring.

Pisses me off that Leafs fans are stingy in giving the goaltending props when they obviously deserve it. If the Leafs had average goaltending, there is no way they would be a playoff contender. They'd easily be in the bottom 5.

Conversely when they do get an average or sub par performance the team inevitably loses and the goal tending is immediately blamed.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

3. Keep him for a playoff run and then negotiate a contract with him... this is a lose-lose tsituation because either a) he signs here for an asburd contract OR b) some other team signs him and we lose him for nothing

Those are the 3 options we have... and knowing how its the Leafs mandate to make the playoffs coupled with how conservative Nonis is, I think we can safely rule the first option off the table which leaves the other 2. I really think this is going to come down to option 3 IMO.

Or the leafs get lucky and he gives them the hometown discount. He did say that he likes playing in Toronto, but you gotta take that with a grain of salt as they all say that. Look at Kesler for example.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

I'd like to see him stay. Ya he bumbles the puck sometimes, gets beat to the outside and runs around in his own zone, but really you could say that about everyone of them on that blueline. I do like that he can hit the net consistently from the blueline and is a good hitter.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

You forgot the option we have been taking a lot lately.

4. Keep the player for a play off run. Whoops, missed the play offs. They walk for nothing.

horner

May 22, 2007
With the Rapters doing so get
Beating two great teams in the west

Is going to put a tone of pressure on Shanahan to make some big moves in the summer

The Leafs are not the talk of the town. I mean not in a good way.

Its almost as good as having a second hockey team

And Shanahan make that smart of season moves

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Is going to put a tone of pressure on Shanahan to make some big moves in the summer

Tearing down the team again will probably make them less of the talk of the town next year.

I'm just sayin'.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Shanahan is lying low to save his own skin when this thing falls apart.

As for this team, it's probably the least likeable Leafs team I have followed in all my years of following them. I would not shed a tear if this thing is blown up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Of course this team can skid again, but its not games like last night that are going to cause the skid. Being up 3-0 and shutting down the offense is nothing to worry about.

Kinda like being up 4-2 and closing up shop early in Florida, eh? :laugh:

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
If you listen to guys like HolyMakinaw and Bullseye, resetting the team is a bad idea. "When its close to playoff time this team will tighten up defensively":sarcasm:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Shanahan is lying low to save his own skin when this thing falls apart.

As for this team, it's probably the least likeable Leafs team I have followed in all my years of following them. I would not shed a tear if this thing is blown up.

how is he saving his own skin? he didn't put it together, he has no allegence to them and he's allowing them to completely fall apart, after giving them tools to try to be better. i think that's strategic and smart. why waste your bullets when you don't have to. you would probably call it political, and whatever, but po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe.

but i'm with you
there are aspects of the team i like, and most of the aspects aren't the pieces who were here from the wilson years.

i still maintain - Burke Era Players out first.
shore up the defense, re-evaluate then go from the middle tiers.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It pissed me off the mediocre-ness of our lineup.

We are the Leafs for Christ-sakes...we should be scouting, drafting and developing premiere players.

Watching guys like Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Doughty, Toews - turn lowly franchises at one time into contenders makes me sick.

Do the right thing - it is about frigen time. Peaks and valley's I know, but the realist saw the team for what it's worth. A pieced together mediocre team with some good, some bad and not enough to get where we need to be.

--
from the masses, we are crazy if we are happy when they win (they will fall on their face!) and nuts if we ask for rebuild (You guys are bipolar!). What does that spell? mediocre. It's the scariest word in professional sports.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Fire Nonis, fire Carlyle and finally make a decision about the core.

By this point, I don't think it's "too early" anymore to make decisions, and I think the circus that is the leaf's organization at the moment is harming the development of younger players on the team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
how is he saving his own skin? he didn't put it together, he has no allegence to them and he's allowing them to completely fall apart, after giving them tools to try to be better. i think that's strategic and smart. why waste your bullets when you don't have to. you would probably call it political, and whatever, but po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe.

but i'm with you
there are aspects of the team i like, and most of the aspects aren't the pieces who were here from the wilson years.

i still maintain - Burke Era Players out first.
shore up the defense, re-evaluate then go from the middle tiers.
He's been evaluating since he got here, less thinking and more action. Regardless he is a smart politician. He has 2 patsies to take the fall this season. He's got that part evaluated right.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario

Agreed.

The Ballard era players still played hard even with ownership problems against the players. Harold Ballard would mess with the players all the time. In one instance Ballard traded away Lanny McDonald just to spite Sittler where in turn he ripped the "C" off his sweater in protest. Even then players under Ballard still played the game with heart.

What is the excuse for the current Leafs roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad