Post-Game Talk: Yay, we suck as bad as the Avs!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Then we need to be on Holland hard for not seeing what 19 other teams were able to see and drafting him anyway.

No two ways about this, you need to start criticizing Holland, not just a few scapegoat players you've picked out.

Holland handled it appropriately by letting Jim Nill go and added Tyler Wright. So props to Kenny for that.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Danny Dekeyser finishes the night a -2 and zero points.

Jonathan Ericsson still has more points than him this season.

Sheahan is having a historically bad season, but DD has been pure garbage this season.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Another one of our awesome first round draft picks. :sarcasm: It's pretty clear the Red Wings drafting and development is well below mediocre. Can only blame the players for so long, when you go decades without drafting an elite player it's pretty clear where you need to place the blame.

Yup, everyone is just picking on him. And now he's sad and too heartbroken to play competitive hockey. Mantha is a poor manchild that everyone picks on.

....Or, more likely, he's living up to his reputation and proving why nearly every other team passed on him and we are seeing why he dropped to 20th overall.

You can polish a turd, but at the end of the day... it's still a turd.

yeah dudes a bust we should trade him for a late draft pick while we still can before other teams catch on to the fact that he only has 30 even strength points in 51 games as a rookie

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Danny Dekeyser finishes the night a -2 and zero points.

Jonathan Ericsson still has more points than him this season.

Sheahan is having a historically bad season, but DD has been pure garbage this season.
I just don't understand why sheham is still playing in the NHL. It's a punch line now really.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I love how people can hate even though he's a top producer lol. He scored 100 in 82. But he doesn't put in 100% effort :shakehead

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
LOOOOLL! This team is total joke. Who knew Datsyuk leaving would have such a drastic effect? The entire roster is ****. What's unbelievable is the Wings are actually trying here! I'm watching games now just to laugh out loud at the ineptitude and massive fails.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
I love how people can hate even though he's a top producer lol. He scored 100 in 82. But he doesn't put in 100% effort :shakehead

Don't worry too much about it. I'd bet that if they were Avs fans they'd be ******** all over Mckinnon and Duchene about being garbage too, because their team sucks.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
A large part of the problem is that we have a puck possession tradition and a lot of our more skilled forwards suit a more east/west style, but we have a coach who refuses to adapt his north/south style while simultaneously not maximising that best usage of our forwards who best suit that style (partly because they are younger and less developed or are grinders). It leads to a schizophrenic set up that leaves limited players often looking confused and a the team totally incoherent. I'd put it 40% on a the coach for not making the best use of his resources, 30% on the GM for actively creating a roster without strategic cohesion and 25% on dumb luck as to which prospects panned out and which didn't. I'd also save 5% for Babs who managed to inflate the importance of the mediocre and sacrificed too much creativity from his skilled players in order to protect weaker players elsewhere. That said, Blash still makes him look like Scotty Bowman's better nephew..

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
As for Mantha, he's always going to slip back into late Franzen floating from time to time- otherwise he'd have been a top 5 pick for sure. But his effort levels are often directly influenced by line mates. At both AHL and NHL level he's moved his feet more when paired with skilled speedsters or smart playmakers. His current deployment may be a fitting message for a recent drop off, but it does make him less likely to succeed.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Member the Red Wings winning culture?

Me neither...

To me, it's about the culture of working hard all over the ice. Which does go back to the discussion of Mantha sitting out games. Unless he plans on scoring 3 or 4 goals a night, he better learn how to play some defense.

At their peak, this was the hardest working team in addition being the most skilled. They could win on their skill alone but when they worked harder than the other team, they were almost unbeatable.

Now, they're not the most skilled and they sure as hell aren't the hardest working team anymore. It's hard to watch these guys. I honestly can't sit through an entire game.

I'm going to one last game at the Joe in a couple weeks but I wouldn't pay money to watch this team if not for the fact they're closing the Joe.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yup, everyone is just picking on him. And now he's sad and too heartbroken to play competitive hockey. Mantha is a poor manchild that everyone picks on.

....Or, more likely, he's living up to his reputation and proving why nearly every other team passed on him and we are seeing why he dropped to 20th overall.

You can polish a turd, but at the end of the day... it's still a turd.
Sometimes I wonder if you'd prefer a team filled with Darren Helms and Justin Abdelkaders...that would earn a 7-66-9 type of record.

Get some talent. And a real coach. If Mantha keeps up his issues, then deal him, but one player coasting at the end of a tire fire of a season is just a symptom of the larger problem:

The Detroit Red Wings (as any of us once knew them) are officially dead. And the front office needs to recognize that before any tangible fixing can be done.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
To me, it's about the culture of working hard all over the ice. Which does go back to the discussion of Mantha sitting out games. Unless he plans on scoring 3 or 4 goals a night, he better learn how to play some defense.

At their peak, this was the hardest working team in addition being the most skilled. They could win on their skill alone but when they worked harder than the other team, they were almost unbeatable.

Now, they're not the most skilled and they sure as hell aren't the hardest working team anymore. It's hard to watch these guys. I honestly can't sit through an entire game.

I'm going to one last game at the Joe in a couple weeks but I wouldn't pay money to watch this team if not for the fact they're closing the Joe.
That is a completely unreasonable expectation.

There are plenty of forwards who aren't really "defensive" guys who are valuable parts of the lineup. Mantha is a rookie who is on a 53 point pace and time to grow as a player. He got scratched, had a bad game, and now people are turning on him. I find it to be incredibly short-sighted.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar

There are plenty of forwards who aren't really "defensive" guys who are valuable parts of the lineup. Mantha is a rookie who is on a 53 point pace and time to grow as a player. He got scratched, had a bad game, and now people are turning on him. I find it to be incredibly short-sighted.

It's classic HFBoards: overrating two-way play (whilst important, yes) over offense and somewhat intangible qualities like effort and hustle.

Talent wins you hockey games. Red Wings have got very little of it. But I guess it makes some fans feel better to think the team would win if they'd just try a little harder :shakehead These are professional athletes, chances are they aren't mailing it on purpose. But I do know from my days of playing hockey that when your team blows it's damn near impossible to look engaged all the time.

Excellent game regarding the tank, most pleasing.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

It's amazing that Anthony Mantha is the scapegoat on a team full of players less valuable than him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So did the rest of the team, we just lost 3-1 to the worst team in the league.

Idk Larkin and AA I thought had relatively strong games and our first line combined for a solid 5 posts, the most dangerous play Mantha's line had was that shot to Pickard's chest by helm on that pseudo breakaway/2on1.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Normally, right now, I don't mind if the Wings lose as it will probably help us in the long run.

But after the game last night, I felt different... An absolutely awful and embarrassing performance, what a joke. Something has to change...

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I can't wait until Mantha hits UFA and leaves this team and becomes a 40 goal scorer with proper use on a decent team. And I hope AA follows him.

This team and it's fans deserve exactly that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad