Prospect Info: Yaroslav Askarov, #11 Overall Pick

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Translation from an interview:

(In the future)

Upon winning the Stanley Cup Askarov was asked what motivated him to not allow a goal the entire series:

"I remember once back in World Juniors watching another team celebrate my failure. My teammates did not want to watch but I did so that I could never forget. I vowed it would never happen to me again."

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Askarov starting his second game in the row for SKA. Afanasyev in the lineup for the opponent TsSka Moscow.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't know what is it with Askarov and the WJC but he looks a lot different in these KHL games. He's much more calm and therefore doesn't end up scrambling all over the place without his stick all the time. He's technically as sound as any, he has size to cover the net and he's athletic. It's like in the WJC he regresses to the level of play.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know what is it with Askarov and the WJC but he looks a lot different in these KHL games. He's much more calm and therefore doesn't end up scrambling all over the place without his stick all the time. He's technically as sound as any, he has size to cover the net and he's athletic. It's like in the WJC he regresses to the level of play.
Even in the Bronze medal game I thought he looked more like that calmer version too.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I won't even pretend to understand what that is supposed to mean... didn't Hasek come to North America when he was 25, and not become an NHL starter until he was 28? Was he ever really a "prospect" in the traditional sense? Seems an unlikely point of comparison, but whatever. :dunno:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
D1 is how the prospect does in his DEVELOPMENT year (year 1) after being drafted. He's projecting better than Hasek at 10 years younger.

Please note Hasek played for Czechoslovakia for 7-8 years.

Also the hype around this kid has him as the second coming of Jesus Christ. Let's wait till he is in a gold jersey

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It basically means that according to analytics, he's pretty much a sure-fire NHL'er and probably will be in the NHL rather sooner than later. Sooner than anyone thinks.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Askarov with a strong start in the Russian Junior League (VHL):

2 games
2 goals allowed
1 OT win
1 SO loss.

He's playing there now as the goalie situation is crowded in SKA.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Askarov with a strong start in the Russian Junior League (VHL):

2 games
2 goals allowed
1 OT win
1 SO loss.

He's playing there now as the goalie situation is crowded in SKA.

I get they want to give him game time but his stat line in SKA ST. Petersburg was 5W 4L SV% - 95.1% GAA - 1.21. Why would you not just play him more there? His next closest rival is Magnus Hellberg. He's sitting at 11W 4L SV% - 93.0% GAA - 1.88. Alexander Samanov is 7W 6L SV% - 92.2% GAA - 2.16.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I get they want to give him game time but his stat line in SKA ST. Petersburg was 5W 4L SV% - 95.1% GAA - 1.21. Why would you not just play him more there? His next closest rival is Magnus Hellberg. He's sitting at 11W 4L SV% - 93.0% GAA - 1.88. Alexander Samanov is 7W 6L SV% - 92.2% GAA - 2.16.

Just by looking at the numbers, it's a bit of head-scratcher. But I just figured Askarov's the only goalie of the three who can still play in the VHL, so it's easiest just to send him down there, it's not like those two other goalies are struggling.

I think it's just important that he gets games in wherever he can. Excited to see him again on the Euro Hockey Tournament a week from now.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Just by looking at the numbers, it's a bit of head-scratcher. But I just figured Askarov's the only goalie of the three who can still play in the VHL, so it's easiest just to send him down there, it's not like those two other goalies are struggling.

I think it's just important that he gets games in wherever he can. Excited to see him again on the Euro Hockey Tournament a week from now.
I was just wanting him up against the best competition. Also good to see our former draft pick Hellberg doing good

Jul 12, 2007
We should stick this guy in the Preds net right now !
Just like David Clyde and Todd Van Poppel, lol.
Or, alternately, Bob Feller or Denny McClain !
Binnington comes to mind.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We should stick this guy in the Preds net right now !
Just like David Clyde and Todd Van Poppel, lol.
Or, alternately, Bob Feller or Denny McClain !
Binnington comes to mind.

Binnington was 25. Ingram was supposed to be our Binnington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad