Prospect Info: Yaroslav Askarov, #11 Overall Pick

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
And I'll say he'll be ready as soon as this season...

Now that the two most extreme opinions have been discussed, he'll most likely need 2-3 years.
Most Goalies are not NHL ready until 23 years old so that’s a minimum of 5 years. His KHL contract is until 2022 so this year and next is almost impossible (especially adding in Covid protocols). No reason to rush him anyway as he would not help this team and would do more harm than good.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Most Goalies are not NHL ready until 23 years old so that’s a minimum of 5 years. His KHL contract is until 2022 so this year and next is almost impossible (especially adding in Covid protocols). No reason to rush him anyway as he would not help this team and would do more harm than good.
I think you can only take it year by year and see how things go. But if you want to keep a number in the back of your mind as a placeholder, then 5 years is a good number to use.

Meanwhile, we'll just see how it goes. He has done well this year in the KHL, struggled in WJC, he'll have the same set of opportunities next year for certain. Is it possible he suddenly puts it all together and is miraculously ready for the 2022-23 NHL season? Well, it has happened a few times with other top goalie prospects, so it's not technically impossible. But you would not want to count on that. It's more likely he then takes another 1 or 2 or even 3 years as a starter in some combination of the KHL and AHL before he's ready. 2026-27 would not be an unreasonable season to pin hopes on, therefore.

Hence, if after all the dust settles on this season, and our goaltending continues to be a questionmark, you'd be better off shopping the UFA market for a 3-year contract on an established NHL goalie to tide you over. Lots of goalies are headed for free agency. Will they want to come to Nashville if we continue to have a disastrous season here? Uh, that's a fair question. But one thing we have that other teams do not is cap space. We can pay that goalie far more in a depressed market than most other teams can. Rask, Andersen, Binnington, Grubbauer, Mrazek, Reimer... there are over a dozen NHL goalies headed to UFA this summer. Finding a stop-gap to tide us over until Askarov is ready won't be as tough as it is most years, if that turns out to be what we need to do.

Jul 12, 2007
5 years minimum more likely 7
I hope this is a sarcastic dig at the Preds.
Either way, it’s what’s wrong with the Preds. When you screw around and don’t give a really good talent a chance to use and grow their talents in the NHL quickly, they die on the vine.
Nashville is where good young talents go to (or never get to) in order to disappear.

We do it both ways. Either waste them in MIL or elsewhere, or somehow make a # 2 pick into a 3rd liner, immediately.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
If he takes 7 years to make it that would be peak Preds and would be a waste of a pick.

Jul 12, 2007
Ahhh, not sarcastic ironic or sardonic .... just childish. Well that’ll surely help our predicament.
I also don’t like them always burning our first pick on D and G, but hell, let’s get some entertainment and a Hail Mary out of it. Stick him in net in Nashville today, since we can’t develop anything anyway.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida fan here: it looks y’all are having the same discussions we had about Knight.

ultimately goalies take more time but cheap, team controlled goaltending is worth a lot for a team (see the high premium on the market). It’s delayed gratification but not a bad use of mid first round resources especially when there aren’t any players you love (mid first round forward usually take 2-3 years to be ready)

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Ahhh, not sarcastic ironic or sardonic .... just childish. Well that’ll surely help our predicament.
I also don’t like them always burning our first pick on D and G, but hell, let’s get some entertainment and a Hail Mary out of it. Stick him in net in Nashville today, since we can’t develop anything anyway.

Drafting a goalie early once every decade + is perfectly acceptable imo. Sucks that Finley and Pickard didn't work out, but I'm not calling for Askarov to be a bust already.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
For what it's worth Saros came to North America in the 3rd season after he was drafted and became the primary backup in his 4th season after being drafted. Askarov is a far better prospect than Saros was and doesn't have a Vezina caliber goalie blocking him taking over as starter (unless something changes dramatically). I think it's pretty reasonable to expect him to get a serious chance to be part of a tandem in 2022 and take over full time after that if he performs well.

Jul 12, 2007
If we’re burning this season, let the kid back up whichever G we keep, and get one game a week under his belt.
It won’t matter if he gets beat soundly, make sure he knows it.
Start next season with some NHL experience, instead jumping in cold.
Added benefit of maybe he blows us all away and looks good in there.
Something different .... instead of the same old 20-year Preds template, which has caused what we see today.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
For what it's worth Saros came to North America in the 3rd season after he was drafted and became the primary backup in his 4th season after being drafted. Askarov is a far better prospect than Saros was and doesn't have a Vezina caliber goalie blocking him taking over as starter (unless something changes dramatically). I think it's pretty reasonable to expect him to get a serious chance to be part of a tandem in 2022 and take over full time after that if he performs well.
Saros was probably as "accomplished" a prospect as Askarov, though, in that he performed at high levels at an early age and all that too. His prospect status of course took a huge hit due to his size. But he was as evolved and effective at early ages as Askarov, even though that doesn't translate in terms of NHL prospect valuation due to his size. Saros was way ahead of the usual curve and a big exception. It would be asking a lot for Askarov to live up to that progression rate. It would be fantastic for us if he did. And even more fantastic if he got here even sooner. Just... it's a lot to expect that is all.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Gnashville notoriously hates this pick.
Yes I admit that drafting Goalies in the first is not what I like, but realistically it takes 5 years to develop a goalie. That’s not me hating the pick but just a fact. Look at most Goalies and you will find that most do not debut until 23-25 years old. Rinne was 23 as a rookie. Sorokin is a 25 year old rookie.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yes I admit that drafting Goalies in the first is not what I like, but realistically it takes 5 years to develop a goalie. That’s not me hating the pick but just a fact. Look at most Goalies and you will find that most do not debut until 23-25 years old. Rinne was 23 as a rookie. Sorokin is a 25 year old rookie.

Thing is, Askarov isn’t like the most. He’s special.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Thing is, Askarov isn’t like the most. He’s special.
Vasilevskiy made the NHL at 20 but it is ultra rare for that to happen and I would rather wait instead of rushing him. His 2 world Junior’s performances should show he isn’t prepared for major competition. Why ruin him now by putting him on a terrible team instead of waiting a few years? I may not like picking Goalies in the 1st round but it’s done and now the Predators should be patient (I think they will be) with him.

Reactions: Byrddog

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Vasilevskiy made the NHL at 20 but it is ultra rare for that to happen and I would rather wait instead of rushing him. His 2 world Junior’s performances should show he isn’t prepared for major competition. Why ruin him now by putting him on a terrible team instead of waiting a few years? I may not like picking Goalies in the 1st round but it’s done and now the Predators should be patient (I think they will be) with him.
slippery slope using tournaments to judge readiness...

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
This is 100% correct, there are very few Young guys less than 23 that are long term successful in net. Vasi is an anomaly. I made the same point about Saro's when the decision was made to sit him for years behind Pekka. Saro's could have been a serviceable goalie perhaps if he had got development time. He played hand picked games as a back-up and when it came time for him to step up if was only a short time before other teams figured out how to take advantage of him. Its a shame he is 25 now and will bounce around as a back-up for a couple years before he is gone.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Lots of goalies start around 21 years old, Quick, Price, Holtby, Luongo, Varlamov, Oetinger, Halak, etc, all around 21 their rookie season, Fluery was only 19.

Definitely, there are plenty of examples of young goalies getting an NHL shot and according to most people "in the know", Askarov is far from your run-of-the-mill goalie prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad