Prospect Info: Yaroslav Askarov, #11 Overall Pick

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
I dont understand this, why he cant develop here?
I think that is the plan eventually. Finish off his khl contract in 2(3?) years then sign him and let him play in Milwaukee. If he has a great year then he’ll likely be up in the nhl as a backup the next at age 22 ish. That’s how I see it going anyways

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I think that is the plan eventually. Finish off his khl contract in 2(3?) years then sign him and let him play in Milwaukee. If he has a great year then he’ll likely be up in the nhl as a backup the next at age 22 ish. That’s how I see it going anyways

Yeah, as much potential as he has, I don't want to rush him. If he's doing well developing in the KHL, let him stay there. I'd rather see him force his way into the NHL because he's too good for wherever he's at, instead of rushing him into the league because we're desperate. We absolutely need to get this one right.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
You cannot NOT be giddy about Askarov when you look at Vasilevsky and what he’s accomplished early in his NHL career.

We’re talking about pretty similar players who are on a similar career trajectories.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Spencer Knight already signed his ELC and joined the Panthers. 1st rounder in 2019.
If Askarov was playing in the NCAA and had dominated there for 2 years already, I would try to sign him sooner too. Get him to Milwaukee to play against pros, just as Knight will next year on Florida's farm team. But as it is, Askarov is already going to be playing in the 2nd-best pro league in the world next year in the KHL. So it's still not the same.

Legwand Legacy

Jul 25, 2021
Cannot wait for this kid. Hate that hyped goalie prospects are usually the most exciting to watch out for but take the longest to cook :(

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Poile went out of his way to mention him as a guy in their plans, basically looking for a bridge backup because they think Askarov is ready to give minutes in 2 seasons. He mentioned 1 season in Russia and then one in Milwaukee.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Poile went out of his way to mention him as a guy in their plans, basically looking for a bridge backup because they think Askarov is ready to give minutes in 2 seasons. He mentioned 1 season in Russia and then one in Milwaukee.
Nolan said he expected two more seasons in Russia then come over. One of them will be right and it probably all depends on his performance this year. Poile sounds more optimistic than Nolan.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I would rather wait 5 years myself. Goalies take a while 2 more in the KHL and 3 in the AHL (with a few call ups). Pekka didn’t play in the NHL full time until he was 26!!

• Wow
Reactions: weeze

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I would rather wait 5 years myself. Goalies take a while 2 more in the KHL and 3 in the AHL (with a few call ups). Pekka didn’t play in the NHL full time until he was 26!!

Pekka was also drafted as a 20 year old and then missed a season due to his assault. Vasilevsky became TB starter at age 23. That's 5 years after his draft year. I think that's a pretty reasonable template to expect from Askarov. I seriously doubt he will need 3 years in the AHL to get used to the North American game

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Pekka was a 7th round pick only delayed because of his shoulder injury and that wasn't hockey related.
If Askarov isn't ready 4 years after his draft that first round pick is looking bad.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Pekka was also drafted as a 20 year old and then missed a season due to his assault. Vasilevsky became TB starter at age 23. That's 5 years after his draft year. I think that's a pretty reasonable template to expect from Askarov. I seriously doubt he will need 3 years in the AHL to get used to the North American game
Which would be right in my timeline. I added an extra year just for better development given he is a right handed catching Goaltender. Plus this franchise has a poor history with 1st rounders and it would help to not rush someone.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
If I've learned anything from watching decades of sports, it's that despite the cliche sayings, you can never put hard and fast rules on an individual's development. Sure you use all of the data from past players as guidance and to set some expectations, but each player comes along at a different pace. I wouldn't be surprised if Askarov is indeed NHL ready in two years, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he isn't here until age 24 or 25.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Which would be right in my timeline. I added an extra year just for better development given he is a right handed catching Goaltender. Plus this franchise has a poor history with 1st rounders and it would help to not rush someone.

I thought you were saying 5 years from now. I think he could be ready in 3 of all goes well

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean, you could probably throw Askarov into the NHL next season and he wouldn't be completely horrific. Probably. Maybe. But... why take the chance if you don't have to? Sure, some goalies hit the NHL at 20 or D+2 years and can handle it. Not often, but not impossible. I don't see any reason to set my expectations based on those outliers, though. Saros just killed it last season, and it's not hard to find a backup on the UFA market. There's really no reason for us to try to rush Askarov.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I thought you were saying 5 years from now. I think he could be ready in 3 of all goes well
At least
5 years is fine with me 23 or 24 is usually the rookie year for a Goalie. MA Fluery didn’t start regularly until he was 23. Carter Hart started at 20 do you think the Flyers would have been better off waiting?
I do not understand the rush to get this kid to play? He comes over at 20 plays in Milwaukee for a couple of years and becomes a dominant goalie in the NHL or he is rushed into service at 20 and falls flat never regains his confidence and is a bust at 25.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

This last season was Saros' 5th NHL season. Puts him as NHL backup at age 21. I can really see a similar path for Askarov. 2 more years in the KHL (or perhaps 1 if he tears it up) then over to the US and a quick transition into the NHL as a backup. There's no reason to doubt his ability.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
It took Vasy a few years to get going even after he got in the league. He wasn't doing poorly those first couple, but he has continued with his trajectory and even now I am not sure he's hit his ceiling.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
At least
5 years is fine with me 23 or 24 is usually the rookie year for a Goalie. MA Fluery didn’t start regularly until he was 23. Carter Hart started at 20 do you think the Flyers would have been better off waiting?
I do not understand the rush to get this kid to play? He comes over at 20 plays in Milwaukee for a couple of years and becomes a dominant goalie in the NHL or he is rushed into service at 20 and falls flat never regains his confidence and is a bust at 25.
He'd be better off getting NHL games as a backup to Saros vs dominating the AHL. Get better quality competition. Saros only played 62 AHL games over 3 seasons (38, 15, 9) over those three seasons he played 48 NHL games (1, 21, 26). I'd expect them to do the same with Askarov if he proves up to it.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He'd be better off getting NHL games as a backup to Saros vs dominating the AHL. Get better quality competition. Saros only played 62 AHL games over 3 seasons (38, 15, 9) over those three seasons he played 48 NHL games (1, 21, 26). I'd expect them to do the same with Askarov if he proves up to it.
And those 110 games in 3 years are exactly the reason we have no idea if he can be a full time starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad