Prospect Info: Yaroslav Askarov, #11 Overall Pick

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So here is a big moment for Askarov. The semi-final against Canada will be a great test. He was at his very best in the pre-tournament game, but maybe a bit uneven in the rest of the tourney so far? I would say so far it looks like he has a little bit of trouble with a few shots that have snuck in through traffic. Very good with his legs down low, very good reaction time to chances in tight when he can see the puck. But a little leaky in traffic. I don't know if that's typical for him, I haven't looked at his games from Russia or past tournaments. But here's hoping he pulls off the big win tonight.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That 3rd goal for Canada doesn't look good. It didn't look like it deflected, but maybe, anyway Askarov was over-relying on his glove and flat missed it. The first goal was a lot better, the 2nd one was a big scramble where he lost his stick and his D were losing every puck battle, so I'm not sure I'd blame him too much on the first two goals. But Russia is getting bulldozed in this game. Askarov could get pulled if this keeps up. :(

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I’d argue every goal is somewhat on Askarov at this point. I mean Russia has been godawful but so has Askarov. He hasn’t helped at all.

1st goal: waaay too deep in the net and Newhook goes bar down. Half the net was wide-open

2nd goal: scramble and he loses his stick for some unknown reason which causes even more chaos. Easy tap-in from the backdoor.

3rd goal: yeesh

He’s just way too restless and all over the place. He needs to seriously calm down.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I’d argue every goal is somewhat on Askarov at this point. I mean Russia has been godawful but so has Askarov. He hasn’t helped at all.

1st goal: waaay too deep in the net and Newhook goes bar down. Half the net was wide-open

2nd goal: scramble and he loses his stick for some unknown reason which causes even more chaos. Easy tap-in from the backdoor.

3rd goal: yeesh

He’s just way too restless and all over the place. He needs to seriously calm down.
I think the goalie has to be deep on that 1st goal, that's the way it's played coming from where it did and rolling a bit, but Newhook put a perfect shot over his shoulder. So perfect they didn't even know it was a goal. And incidentally I love that they just blow the horn and stop play when the off-ice officials see the video that it was in. That's the way it should be done in hockey everywhere.

He was all over the place doing who knows what on the 2nd goal, but my bottom line is that there were 3 times in that sequence the puck was right there for a Russian defender, and every time they let the Canadian win the puck battle. And it's a tap-in. Askarov did not look very composed throughout that mess, but - that puck was going to go in either way.

The 3rd goal is just what you do if you are ridiculously cocky and intentionally giving them half the net and you think you're going to pull off a flashy glove save... but then you miss it and it looks godawful on him there, alas.

He'll get roasted after this tournament, though, and that's going to be a story we as Preds fans will be dealing with for a while, since he's our big draft pick. He has a lot to work on over the next 4 or 5 years. I already wasn't expecting him to waltz in any quicker and steal a job sooner, but I hope we can just be patient and weather the storm of criticism he'll probably get, and that he finds ways to clean up his positioning, maybe try some new gear on the catching glove, get his eyes checked, calm down a bit, etc. My kid has had that going on with his latest glove too, and it just looks nasty in warmups when every puck pops out of it. It's even worse in games when all those pucks drop for rebound chances. He can clean that up. But he'll get ripped a fair bit around here until he does. We just need to be patient through it all.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
4th goal is both problems... loses the stick yet again, everybody panics because he does, then a shot from the point, very catchable, or something you could have your body in front of, but he just misses again with that glove and it drifts in over the pad. That's stoppable. :(

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well nobody is going to beat Askarov trying to deke past his legs on a breakaway/PS anyway. He's money in the bank on that particular move.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Tough to say after a one short tournament.. I’m still a big believer in Askarov. Wouldn’t have minded if we’d taken Lundell.
As soon as Poile and Josi published the pick, I've kind of resented it. As soon as I heard Poile say he's been on their radar for longer I was instantly thinking of Ingram and Saros who got a message saying ''oh yeah you guys are f***ing gone as soon as we can oust you'', which is not a bad thing for the Preds if Askarov pans out, but I just can't shake the minor disgust I developed towards the management from draft day.

Reactions: Gnashville

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well that superstar goalie lock as a great pick isn't looking as hot now. Here's hoping he puts it together because this is one case I really don't want to be saying I told you so.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
You do realize Canada is a superteam?

Their entire roster is 1st round picks pretty much. This game doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Yes, he's given up some bad goals tonight, but people are going crazy over an 18 year old's performance in a single tournament.

Well that superstar goalie lock as a great pick isn't looking as hot now. Here's hoping he puts it together because this is one case I really don't want to be saying I told you so.

He's 18 and it's the WJC, he'll be fine.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Their entire roster is 1st round picks pretty much. This game doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Yes, he's given up some bad goals tonight, but people are going crazy over an 18 year old's performance in a single tournament.

He's 18 and it's the WJC, he'll be fine.
Oh he may be but based on the comments here he has a lot of work ahead of him. He isn't going to be the golden boy of the Preds at 20 like so many here were convinced he would be.

Sure as heck people need to back off the dump Saros talk.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad