Prospect Info: Yaroslav Askarov, #11 Overall Pick

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I thought that was a bizarre article, tbh. One problem is mis-labelling successful picks as busts. Leclaire, Montoya, Subban, Campbell, Kidd have had (or may be in the process of having) successful careers, and DiPietro and Blackburn would have were it not for injuries. Right off the bat that pushes the premise out the window since the general success rate is actually > 60%. But then trying to fasten it to small samples of international competition is an illusory exercise. Do top goaltending prospects tend to play on national teams in international competitions? Yes they very much do. But is that why they got drafted where they did? Which is the chicken and which is the egg? It means you don't give any credit to scouts, basically, that you consider them only to be armchair-stats-watchers who only look at a few big international tournament games on TV when making their evaluations. Which of course a lot of authors of these types of fan publications are. Maybe this person is, maybe not. And maybe some real NHL scouts have actual expertise in evaluating goaltenders, but also many do not.

I think the statistics here are bad, and are latching onto a coincidence that leads to a very unhelpful conclusion. There ARE problems with drafting goaltenders. And with developing them. But it is far too shallow a conclusion to just say steer clear of goalies who do well in a U18 tournament or who played in the CHL. How come many of the goalies listed as "Success" stories played in the CHL or U18 tournaments also? This is just gibberish statistics and not at all helpful to any actual goaltending scouting or development process.

Goaltending development is weak at a grassroots level across North America. Quality training is difficult to identify, difficult to afford, and it's inconsistently applied across a young goaltender's key development years. Few coaches recognize the value of specialized goaltender training, so it becomes a minefield for the young player's family to navigate on their own in many cases. And then just as few coaches truly recognize the specialized developmental needs, few scouts have the expertise to evaluate the position as well. So certainly it adds up to some historically poor draft performances at the position. But the problem is not solved by just ignoring goaltenders who fit into certain arbitrary quasi-statistical groupings. It's a matter of improving development and scouting expertise.

This article might help you in a fantasy fan draft, I suppose, if that's the intended audience, but it's not going to the real heart of the issue.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
#1 in Scott Wheeler's goalie prospect rankings on The Athletic. Also, has Ingram at #4

"At this point in his development, with that kind of talent, I have to bet on him, even if I’m confident the next goalie on this list is a sure thing. If Askarov can work on some of the bouncing in the net and condense his movements even a little more, he’ll be a star."

Jul 12, 2007
I would think that goalies have the fewest dimensions to succeed in. Forwards can have value and improve in skating, hitting / enforcing, shooting / scoring goals, passing /assists / playmaking, pure athleticism, leadership, clubhouse guy, and hockey IQ. D-men similar but with a bit less of these.
Goalies have a very tight set of opportunities to contribute and develop, a lot of it in their head and psyche. A lot less to go on, when deciding to draft a goalie. But then again a lot more goalies take a turn for the better 4 or 5 years in. More based in getting their heads straight, seasoning, opportunity.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
AHL starter this year, NHL back up next year. Depending on the play of Saros and Ingram he could be 1b or starter the year after. Who knows what happens once Askarov gets here, a lot of variables.
That's it exactly. It will be fun to watch Askarov's exploits in Russia for the next few years, but if he comes over anytime in the next 4 seasons, I'll be surprised. 22-23 is a good age for a finished-product goalie to sail over from the KHL. In the meantime soooooo much will have happened over here. Saros will get his turn at #1. Ingram will get his turn trying to supplant him. And anybody who thinks they know how any of that will turn out is just feeding you a line. Any of these 3 guys could be our next quality starter. OR... none of them!!!!

But the nice thing is we have options, we have candidates, we have branches in the timeline which are just going to have to play themselves out.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
That's it exactly. It will be fun to watch Askarov's exploits in Russia for the next few years, but if he comes over anytime in the next 4 seasons, I'll be surprised. 22-23 is a good age for a finished-product goalie to sail over from the KHL. In the meantime soooooo much will have happened over here. Saros will get his turn at #1. Ingram will get his turn trying to supplant him. And anybody who thinks they know how any of that will turn out is just feeding you a line. Any of these 3 guys could be our next quality starter. OR... none of them!!!!

But the nice thing is we have options, we have candidates, we have branches in the timeline which are just going to have to play themselves out.

Exactly. Remember when Rinne was an afterthought and Dan Ellis was going to be our workhorse? I think Finley was still on the team when Rinne played his first game.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Askarov in goal vs. Team Finland today. Afanasyev and Chistyakov also in the lineup.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I also wonder how much of an advantage he'll have catching with his right.
Excellent question. One would think that he should definitely have a some kind of advantage considering that skaters almost never shoot against a right-hand glove. Very interesting prospect.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Omark

Tesla stock
Aug 5, 2011
Espoo, Finland
I had to look for which team drafted him and gongratulate. This guy is a freaking monster. He was really good against Finland but against Sweden he wasn't from this planet. 4-5 game savers, 0 mistakes, perfect goaltending (?) the whole game. I don't think he has any weaknesses.

Edit: And keep in mind, it is not normal for U20 team to beat men's national teams. Finland U20 national team played 40 games against Mestis teams (Finnish second tier league) back in 2005-2010 and lost most of them. Now Russia U20 beat team Finland and team Sweden which consisted of the best Liiga & SHL players. Big part of that is Askarov's heavy carrying. Shot totals don't tell the whole picture, especially Sweden got lot of shots from the best goal scoring area.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
The more and more clips that come out of him the sooner everyone will quit bugging out about this pick.

He's got one of the highest ceilings in the whole draft.

He does really look like Jonathan Quick out there, except he's a lot bigger than Quick. He has all the tools of becoming the next star goalie not just in Nashville but in the whole league. If he's already performing that well against men, I don't see why his development would take 4-5 years.

I'm gonna list some of his strengths and areas to improve in my mind, I have seen 3 games from him:

+ Super fast and agile for a guy his size. He's pretty much never out of the play.
+ His lateral movement is insane considering his size.
+ Fantastic puck tracker, difficult to screen effectively.
+ Surprisingly good at moving the puck and helping the defenseman. Usually guys his age are scared to leave their crease and move the puck but he isn't.

- His glove hand is one thing he could work on. Makes him drop rebounds where he shouldn't.
- He makes himself maybe a bit too small sometimes and therefore leaves too much room up top.
- He sometimes overplays situations and gets caught in situations he shouldn't have even been in. This can also be considered as a plus, because he challenges the shooters really well and is able to cover every hole. Ultimately, I think age and maturity will help with that problem.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Every game he makes me feel better about this pick. At the time, I said i'd be disappointed but not mad if we drafted him. If he keeps this up, I'll be ecstatic we picked him. He looks like he could be the next Carey Price/Jonathan Quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad