Prospect Info: Yaroslav Askarov, #11 Overall Pick

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'm impressed by how aggressive he is and I think he's really strong mentally, which you need to be if you're between the pipes. I think it's unusual for how young he is.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Started as the backup to Berdin tonight, but took over the crease in period 2 after Berdin let in 2 goals on 10 shots. Askarov ended up winning the game 3-2 in OT and had 11 saves.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
That was about 1 inch on the heel of his stick from being a disaster and highlight reel for all the wrong reasons. :) Some coaches would chew a goalie out for that, for sure. But nice that he has the chutzpah to try it on that stage, at his age. :eek:
Basically what I got from it too. He's got the skill and confidence to pull that off, just don't do it when you are in the crease for Nashville.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
He has given up 5 goals in 6 games but has 2 losses and one shutout. What am I missing here?

1st game: Replaced the starter in the 1st period when the team was down 3-0. Ended up losing the game 4-3, so one goal allowed but a loss.
2nd game: Shutout, a win.
3rd game: One goal allowed, a win.
4th game: Allowed two goals, a loss.
5th game: One goal allowed, a win.
6th game: Started the game as a backup and came in the 2nd period. Didn't allow goals and won the game in OT, not sure if that counts as a shutout?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
This kid is insane. His stat line from this year in the KHL:

4-2-0 record
0.94 GAA
.963 save %
1 shutout

Why I'm excited by Nashville's pipeline at goal. Ingram had Sheshertin's stats in the AHL a year younger. Askarov looks amazing. I project and Ingram/Askarov scream like Saros is on deal....maybe Saros to Seattle as an expansion deal?

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
it6xmrnjx0361.jpg

Askarov's WJC pads

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Russians went with their other goalie last night instead of asks. Wonder what’s up with that....

I hope asks doesn’t go Brian Finley on us lol

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Russians went with their other goalie last night instead of asks. Wonder what’s up with that....

I hope asks doesn’t go Brian Finley on us lol
Askarov has some odd results at the WJC-20. Last year he was 5 games played 2.71 GAA 0.877 sv%. This year he's 2 games played 2.54 GAA 0.909 sv%. That's an improvement but not great. Just something about that tournament seems to be kryptonite to him.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
The Russian defense has been playing terribly. I love the cycle and I love how Larionov is trying to implement it into his system. They're constantly moving the puck around (just like the Russian 5 in Detroit). The problem is that the defense has made some poor choices in their drops or passes and have created a lot of weird chances in front of the net.

Askarov has looked really good (I've watched every Russia game + prelim) and he has made a ton of big stops. His biggest problem has been the choices the players have made in front of him that have led to these goals.

The Russians were also playing Austria, so it was basically a sure thing, give Askarov the night off to regroup before playing Sweden. He'll be back in net tomorrow night.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
He’s been phenomenal from what I’ve seen so far, had some bad defensive mistakes against the Czechs in front of him and he wasn’t swallowing pucks up like normal but the offense failed him more than anything 0 goals against a bad Czech team

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Playing as the number 1 goalie for Russia in this tournament is the meaningful event for the Preds. Of course how he plays is important but the fact that he is #1 on this team and playing in this tournament means a lot in terms of his growth and development. I’m sure the Preds are overjoyed with this opportunity for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad