Yannick Weber

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Will be interesting to see what Weber gets if he is (hopefully) re-signed given the crazy precedent set by the Sbisa contract. Anyone know who Weber's agent is? Hopefully he is a pushover.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
One can only hope now Benning can somehow get Weber re-up to a cheap contract to mitigate the Sbisa's contract.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The funny thing is I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not with what's happened.

If Weber's agent is even remotely competent he will ask for close to 4 million. Will be interesting what the arbitrator thinks of this whole mess. A significantly worse player in an exact same situation just got extended to a massive 3 year 3.6 million/yr deal. How the hell does Weber sign for 1.5 million. No way, if Weber's camp make their case properly.

It's not sarcasm. He's not getting anywhere close to 4 million. He has only just established himself as an NHL regular in the 2nd half of the year and has no track record of being anything more than a fringe guy before then.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's not sarcasm. He's not getting anywhere close to 4 million. He has only just established himself as an NHL regular in the 2nd half of the year and has no track record of being anything more than a fringe guy before then.

Agreed, Weber doesn't have the career history to demand anywhere near 4M despite his 10 goals.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
i guess the moral of the story is that "establishing" is the most important part in contracts

you can establish yourself as a **** defenseman for 5 years but as long as you've done that establishing you'll get paid

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don't see how you can discuss Webers next contract without bringing up Sbisa's as a precedent. It's going to be the first thing his agent points to if he has half a brain. I guess you could point to Tanevs as well but that is no longer the most recent precedent to work with.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
i guess the moral of the story is that "establishing" is the most important part in contracts

you can establish yourself as a **** defenseman for 5 years but as long as you've done that establishing you'll get paid

If it goes to arbitration this will almost certainly be the case, as service-time and games played are going to be the first points to look at in terms of valid comparables for Weber. On the one hand, the 100 more games played that Sbisa has is not a gaping chasm, but it is a fairly large gap and one can also say that he has at least two seasons of playing pretty much every day while Weber has none. I would imagine that this would nix any chance of Sbisa being used as a valid comparable in arbitration. At least the Canucks would hope so.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I'd give Weber 1.5 million for 1 year but there is no room for him unless we move Stanton. Edit: I think Corrado can be sent to the AHL next season so a D-core of Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Weber, Sbisa, Bieksa, Clendening, and Stanton. Not sure how much space we'll have but we should have enough cap to re-sign someone like Richardson along with Weber.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I'd give Weber 1.5 million for 1 year but there is no room for him unless we move Stanton. Edit: I think Corrado can be sent to the AHL next season so a D-core of Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Weber, Sbisa, Bieksa, Clendening, and Stanton. Not sure how much space we'll have but we should have enough cap to re-sign someone like Richardson along with Weber.

We actually probably don't have enough cap space for both of them (maybe not even one of them). We are sitting at $66.64m tied up in 17 players, meaning they have an estimated $1.56-$4.36 cap space (depending on if the NHLPA opts to inflate cap or not; speculation is they won't so it's probably $1.56m) to sign 6 players. They probably have to look to clear salary just to fill the roster with league min guys or cheap ELCs.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
We actually probably don't have enough cap space for both of them (maybe not even one of them). We are sitting at $66.64m tied up in 17 players, meaning they have an estimated $1.56-$4.36 cap space (depending on if the NHLPA opts to inflate cap or not; speculation is they won't so it's probably $1.56m) to sign 6 players. They probably have to look to clear salary just to fill the roster with league min guys or cheap ELCs.
You also need to leave at least some cap space to handle injuries (which you know we will have during a regular season). Course, Benning could always unload one vet and replace his spot with a minimum wage player (a downgrade probably but likely can't be helped).

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver

Great going Benning. Great.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, it's puzzling.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

If that is the offer best route for Weber is probably arbitration, I don't see him getting less tha 1.5m in arbitration and he might get lucky and get 2+m. The good thibg for him is the Canucks can't walk away unless the arbitration judgement is over 3.5m (or higher based on cap inflation).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Easily should have won the Unsung Hero award for the Canucks this year. Had a good season and did it quietly.

(Dorsett is, like, the precise opposite of what an unsung hero is -- given far more prominence and attention than his play deserves).

It's voted on by the players themselves. There is no such thing as quietly having a good season when you are in the locker room. They all know what everyone does day in and day out. And the players in that room gave it to Dorsett. Yes Weber has had a good back half where he may have finally established himself as a NHL regular but I'm not going to second guess the award voted on by the players.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
It's voted on by the players themselves. There is no such thing as quietly having a good season when you are in the locker room. They all know what everyone does day in and day out. And the players in that room gave it to Dorsett. Yes Weber has had a good back half where he may have finally established himself as a NHL regular but I'm not going to second guess the award voted on by the players.

thats cool. im gonna second guess it though, and i think weber probably should have gotten the award

him or higgins, for the amount of **** he gets

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Easily should have won the Unsung Hero award for the Canucks this year. Had a good season and did it quietly.

(Dorsett is, like, the precise opposite of what an unsung hero is -- given far more prominence and attention than his play deserves).

Yeah, agreed. Weber has actually stepped up in the absence of a viable right side partner next to Hamhuis and filled that role reasonably well.

Dorsett has actually made others around him worse whenever he got bumped up alongside Bonino and Higgins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad