Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Marchessault and Gourde train together in the offseason and Yanni is part of my extended family so I'm definitely impressed by his performance so far.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Nah fam we gotta keep Dumont and Gourde.

Paquette and brown both have 1 year left on their contracts each, while gourde and dumont are rfa. So any movement will need to be via trade. Will be interesting to see how a healthy roster at the beginning of next year looks.

I'd assume gourde will fight for a 1 way contract after this showing.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Dumont is crap. He goes. Gourde has played himself an NHL contract - good on him.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Would like to see Gourde full time in the nhl next year. Looks like a guy who can chip in 10 or more goals in a third line role, jump into top 6 when needed, and be sound defensively.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Would like to see Gourde full time in the nhl next year. Looks like a guy who can chip in 10 or more goals in a third line role, jump into top 6 when needed, and be sound defensively.

Him, Point, and Callahan or Erne have the makings of a pretty good third line

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Him, Point, and Callahan or Erne have the makings of a pretty good third line

No on so many levels.

Point will play top-6. I'd call that a given, be it as a Triplet or with Drouin, etc. Killorn or Namestnikov will play 3rd line.

Also, why would Callahan play top-9? Like, at all?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
No on so many levels.

Point will play top-6. I'd call that a given, be it as a Triplet or with Drouin, etc. Killorn or Namestnikov will play 3rd line.

Also, why would Callahan play top-9? Like, at all?

I didn't say he wouldn't be in the top 6, I actually think it transpires that way with some moves over the summer and a modest camp. I'm not foolish enough to just assume he's a lock with the level of forward depth we currently have on the team though. If he does find himself on the third line, he'd be one of the best third line centers in the game, is what I was getting at.

Anyone who doesn't think a healthy Callahan is in the top 9, needs to do a rethink. If he regresses towards his career production which he put up consistently pre-injury, he'd be competing for a top 6 job let alone be in the top 9. The question is if he actually is fully healthy or not, which is why I said it could be Erne on the third line instead. The fact that you were purposefully divisive with his inclusion is being needlessly disagreeable.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I didn't say he wouldn't be in the top 6, I actually think it transpires that way with some moves over the summer and a modest camp. I'm not foolish enough to just assume he's a lock with the level of forward depth we currently have on the team though. If he does find himself on the third line, he'd be one of the best third line centers in the game, is what I was getting at.

Anyone who doesn't think a healthy Callahan is in the top 9, needs to do a rethink. If he regresses towards his career production which he put up consistently pre-injury, he'd be competing for a top 6 job let alone be in the top 9. The question is if he actually is fully healthy or not, which is why I said it could be Erne on the third line instead. The fact that you were purposefully divisive with his inclusion is being needlessly disagreeable.

Only problem is that I don't see Point carrying his own line, especially with less offensive minded players. Slot him in as a 2nd line C with Palat and Kucherov like he has been recently and he produces pretty well, slot him with Erne/Callahan/Namestnikov and we'll likely see a big drop-off. Johnson could at least maintain .5 PPG at the minimum playing with those players.

Or we could see Point on wing which fits all of our top offensive players into the top-6 but puts us really top heavy (not a problem if they show up)

Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Point

or go for depth

Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan
Palat-Point-Kucherov
Erne-Johnson-Gourde
Paquette-Dumont-Namestnikov

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I would take Brown over Paquette and Dumont at least, only because his drop-off from last season to this one was so huge it maked me think something's off. Not that I expect him to be back, but I would actually like to see Brown return with a bounceback year. There was a time where he would create chances with his speed alone virtually every game, plus he brings that "spark plug" factor that we don't have much of. For as much flack as he gets on the offensive side of things, he was able to put up some respectable numbers considering his role. Not sure what the deal is (if there even is one) but to me he just was not the same player this season. On top of that I'd argue he has been one of our more effective role/bottom six guys in the playoffs for a few years now.

I would take the '15-'16 JT Brown at his current contract in a heartbeat, but we'll see what happens.

Edit- I guess I should mention Gourde sine this thread is devoted to him! I think of Marchessault immediately, but I think there is a greater chance of Gourde not bolting as a UFA. Would definitely like to see him back in the fold.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Gourde needs to be here next year. We can send Brown and Paquette packing. Neither one have contributed much and their size for their play style is what's killing our bottom 6 imo. Their speed and offense is too poor to utilize Browns speed and Paquette's energy. We need size that can virtually do it all. Gourde complimenting the 3rd or 4th with his abilities would be ideal. Gourde, Dumont and a power forward with some wheels would be a hell of a 4th line.

Gourde had 6 goals in a short amount of time. Go look at Brown and Paquette's totals.

Now cry.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Gourde needs to be here next year. We can send Brown and Paquette packing. Neither one have contributed much and their size for their play style is what's killing our bottom 6 imo. Their speed and offense is too poor to utilize Browns speed and Paquette's energy. We need size that can virtually do it all. Gourde complimenting the 3rd or 4th with his abilities would be ideal. Gourde, Dumont and a power forward with some wheels would be a hell of a 4th line.

Gourde had 6 goals in a short amount of time. Go look at Brown and Paquette's totals.

Now cry.

Gourde has no size. He is 5 foot 9. Lol...

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Gourde has no size. He is 5 foot 9. Lol...

I'm well aware...lol. he's better offensively than Brown and Dumont is a better face off guy with inferior offense compared to Paquette. Couple those two with a gritty winger that can skate and that 4th would.be very solid. Gourde is impressive defensively and Dumont fills a hole for face offs with Boyle leaving. The 4th only needs a big winger that can skate and it's complimented very well.

The 3rd is tricky cause of the expansion draft so I won't even delve into that.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
A bottom 6 that I think could do very well would be:

Gourde-Point-Callahan

Bournival-Paquette-Dumont

The third line you can tweak with but that 4th line is so good, it was extremely effective. Speed, energy, and i think we can see 10-20 points if they stay healthy all year and our offense plays to its potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad