Management Jim Montgomery

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
As an a guy who loves nothing more than the path of least resistance two years in a row it was presented to Monty after coming home beating 100 plus teams twice in playoff games in their barn (in honor of Jack’s last game) and do nothing

Just STFU about where Toronto big guys been and getting caught picking your nose on camera. Roll out exact same lineup

Walk into room and say ‘you guys know what to do let’s put them out of their misery’

And go stand behind the bench and make sure there aren’t any too-many-men on the ice penalties

If he’s not coaching next week he won’t be here coaching next Fall
100%.

It's 3-2 in G7 of the Finals. I have a break away one the EN with 55 seconds to go. Instead of just putting the puck in the yawning open net I circle around behind the goal to try and pull off an empty net "michigan". Boggles the mind.

Lot's of talk about ingredients today. You laid out what was THE perfect recipe for G5. The ONLY recipe:

-Roll out exact same lineup
-Walk into room and say ‘you guys know what to do let’s put them out of their misery’
-And go stand behind the bench and make sure there aren’t any too-many-men on the ice penalties

Reactions: BMC and DKH

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think the possibility of a RS/PO disconnect is fair -- and I don't want to dismiss what you say out of hand.

My only point was that doesn't absolve Montgomery of his responsibilities and impact of same.

You may think the ingredients aren't perfect and that's fine. But just because the ingredients aren't Prime A, doesn't mean the chef also isn't in over his head. Montgomery seems like a nice guy but I'm beyond frustrated that he did his Playoff thing to us AGAIN.

He needs to put things back the way they were, leave it alone, and hope they close this out. If we lose this series I would be shocked if he's not promptly shit canned.

Ok well answer me one question because this is more what I’m trying to figure out…

How many more coaches do these exact same issues have to happen to before we stop scapegoating the coaches?

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I like Monty but 2 years in a row he took the lineup that won two road games came home and made changes to both the defense and offense

Last year was nuts this year taking out Beecher for a player who hasn’t played in a month and is a great story but a bottom guy who lacks speed to begin with; Inserting Grz who struggled enough to get scratched now is inserted feeling extra pressure and I’d think his confidence is not at its highest

It’s incredible

It’s history repeating itself game by game, overtime in game 5 even with Grzelcyk on the ice

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on you (I hope I got that right)

They lose he’s gone - they win and get bounced by Florida he may be gone

I’m making decisions over there he’s in deep shit

He sounded rattled yesterday like he knows
Do you think if Gerard Gallant was coaching this team we would be going back to Toronto? It looks like Monty is overwhelmed and is making changes to save his job. My 2 cents, if Gryzz is in and 2 slow forwards are on the 4th line tonight, game 7 is on the docket!

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Ok well answer me one question because this is more what I’m trying to figure out…

How many more coaches do these exact same issues have to happen to before we stop scapegoating the coaches?
Why does it always have to be binary with you? Why can’t one blame the coach AND the players?

Reactions: Number8

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Same top 2 Cs. One of whom has zero goals in 17 career playoff games, the other has 1 goal in his last 12 playoff games.

Maybe the GM who decided to go with these 2 "top 6" Cs should go.
I am a Sweeney critic, but that should wait for another time, this latest disaster is "coach made".

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Do you think if Gerard Gallant was coaching this team we would be going back to Toronto? It looks like Monty is overwhelmed and is making changes to save his job. My 2 cents, if Gryzz is in and 2 slow forwards are on the 4th line tonight, game 7 is on the docket!

See while gryz absolutely got bullied in OT on that play. He is so far from being the issue in that game.

The offense had 2 shots at the end of the first period. Gryz should have never been in that situation in OT if the offense showed any life at all.

So while he deserves some blame for getting bullied. The offense was 100x worse than gryz that game.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why does it always have to be binary with you? Why can’t one blame the coach AND the players?

You might want to go back and read.

I’m blaming the players, the GM and the president while others are blaming pretty much just the coach.

If anything the people solely blaming the coach are the binary people here. I’m spreading the blame to everyone except the coaching pretty much.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I personally think Monty sends out confusing messages

He’s a nice guy and very smart hockey guy but he gambles when he doesn’t have to, overreacts at the slightest blip - I think he was in awe of getting the job for this franchise and a team with likely multiple HOF and several star players. He feels the weight of that loss. Gotta be a lot of stress - he looked shaken after game

He seems a bit overwhelmed to me - but a win tonight will go a long way with him and the team

They have to get out of this round advancing or heads will roll and he’s up first

I do 100 % believe they advance but they needed game 5 and a little rest and prep time

If Monty doubles down on game 5 lineup he’s out of his mind

Roll out the game 3 and 4 lineup

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You might want to go back and read.

I’m blaming the players, the GM and the president while others are blaming pretty much just the coach.

If anything the people solely blaming the coach are the binary people here. I’m spreading the blame to everyone except the coaching pretty much.
You go after anyone who ever criticizes the coach. It's ok to criticize the coach - it was another stupid set of moves, just like last year. And when a team isn't ready to play, the coach deserves some blame. That doesn't absolve the players. But it's part of the blame pie.

The silliest thing is to use a game like that to blame the GM.

Reactions: SPLBRUIN

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
DON SWEENEY IS THE CONSTANT.

Yes, he's done better over his nearly ten year tenure but the results don't lie.

He appears incapable of building a playoff caliber team. He does not value the qualities that win in the playoffs.

It's not nice, but he's not up to it.

Neither, apparently, is Cam.

Ownership could care less, as long as the old man can get away with raising ticket prices without a peep and the rabble buy the 🍺 and popcorn 🍿.
Good to see you are back I miss this

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I have no idea what Gerard Gallant would do, nor do I care. Gerard Gallant has never stuck with a franchise for more than 3yrs in his coaching career.

Last I remember, Gerard Gallant was coaching the Rangers to to a first round exit against New Jersey, after winning the first 2 games 5-1......

As for Monty, the only issue I had with his lineup was sitting Beecher, and playing Brazeau and Maroon together. That's it. The rest of that lineup was fine. More than capable of winning that game if they don't totally shit the bed in the first 2 periods.

If that team is so mentally fragile that swapping out a couple of players on the FOURTH LINE is going to throw them for a loop. Then we got bigger problems than coaching.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You go after anyone who ever criticizes the coach. It's ok to criticize the coach - it was another stupid set of moves, just like last year. And when a team isn't ready to play, the coach deserves some blame. That doesn't absolve the players. But it's part of the blame pie.

The silliest thing is to use a game like that to blame the GM.
You really need to start going back and reading discussions before you just jump in and start speaking. Its really getting out of control. But let me take you back.

It originally started with this post talking about the coaches getting fired.
The coach that loses this series will be gone.

No doubt in my mind.

So the discussion is originally about the coaches getting fired. So now lets address you saying everything is binary with me and i only blame the GM.

Here I blame the whole front office:

So Sweeney is potentially about to be on his 4th coach in 10 years?

At what point does the organization stop pointing fingers at the coaches and start pointing fingers at the people constructing the roster and hiring these coaches?

Or has the bruins fraternity run so deep they cant fire one of their brothers?

How long can we have the exact same issues under every coach before someone else gets held responsible?

Here I blame the players for being mentally weak

There’s a major disconnect between this team in the regular season and postseason. The numbers show the bigger the moment gets the more they turtle and lose.

They are mentally weak.

So please start going back and reading the conversation before you try and claim I'm being binary in blaming only the GM. You constantly grab one post from a discussion and try to make it represent something its not and you do it to everyone.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You really need to start going back and reading discussions before you just jump in and start speaking. Its really getting out of control. But let me take you back.

It originally started with this post talking about the coaches getting fired.

So the discussion is originally about the coaches getting fired. So now lets address you saying everything is binary with me and i only blame the GM.

Here I blame the whole front office:

Here I blame the players for being mentally weak

So please start going back and reading the conversation before you try and claim I'm being binary in blaming only the GM. You constantly grab one post from a discussion and try to make it represent something its not and you do it to everyone.
You're binary in that you can't tolerate anyone putting blame on the coaches. Not binary in only blaming the GM. Many blame both the coach and the players.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You're binary in that you can't tolerate anyone putting blame on the coaches. Not binary in only blaming the GM. Many blame both the coach and the players.

Ok and your binary in blaming anyone but Sweeney. Welcome to the party bud.

But also if you are blaming the coaches and the players you should also be blaming the GM/president since they are the ones hiring and signing those guys.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Bru guys figure Forbort for sure tonight. I must admit, the odds of the Leafs getting 5 PP's at home is pretty high. Not sure I mind giving big Forbort a pile of PK minutes.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So Sweeney is potentially about to be on his 4th coach in 10 years?

At what point does the organization stop pointing fingers at the coaches and start pointing fingers at the people constructing the roster and hiring these coaches?

Or has the bruins fraternity run so deep they cant fire one of their brothers?

How long can we have the exact same issues under every coach before someone else gets held responsible?

I think everyone is getting caught up in the fervor of the playoffs. Most people did not expect the results the Bruins got this year and were not expecting a contender and saw this more of a transitional year, which also happened - more young players played and showed off their potential, the center group surprised and held their own, and as a result, the Bruins were the toughest out in the league. We all want them to win but I think if we were all being honest with ourselves to start the year, going all the way to the SCF was going to need a lot going right.

I can't see them losing this series but if they do, I wouldn't expect people to get fired but be put on the hot seat.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think everyone is getting caught up in the fervor of the playoffs. Most people did not expect the results the Bruins got this year and were not expecting a contender and saw this more of a transitional year, which also happened - more young players played and showed off their potential, the center group surprised and held their own, and as a result, the Bruins were the toughest out in the league. We all want them to win but I think if we were all being honest with ourselves to start the year, going all the way to the SCF was going to need a lot going right.

I can't see them losing this series but if they do, I wouldn't expect people to get fired but be put on the hot seat.

This is what I expect to in reference to the hot seat. It was a hypothetical situation brought up by another poster if the bruins lose.

I said in one of the following posts I expect the Bs to win this series. So naturally throws the hypothetical situation someone else made out the window.

Just from my perspective though, over the last 10 years we’ve seen a ton of different players, three different coaches, and zero changes to the front office.

If shit hits the fan it’s obvious to me what the issue is when the team has the same problems over and over. It’s probably the thing that hasn’t changed in a decade.

Reactions: GordonHowe

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
Bru guys figure Forbort for sure tonight. I must admit, the odds of the Leafs getting 5 PP's at home is pretty high. Not sure I mind giving big Forbort a pile of PK minutes.
The Bruins PK was terrible last year in the playoffs vs Florida (with Forbort).
The Bruins PK has been excellent without Forbort vs the Leafs.

The Bruins need to go back to the same lineup that won them games 3 and 4 in TO.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I blame the players.

They play the games.

Game 5 in particular. They stunk up the place.

They certainly did. That was our worst game this series.

That was Toronto's best game and they still needed it to go to OT. If the players perform like they should tonight, it'll be over.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The best thing Montgomery can say pre game is to go up to Marchand and say "its your room. I'm not coming in to say anything."

The players know what is at stake, or they should. Just put out the lineup that got you to 3-1 and let the players either win or or blow it.

We already know it will be a different team next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: