Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yanni scored his first career goal last night, a shorthanded breakaway tally in the 3-2 win over the Panthers.

Cooper has been trusting Gourde with 2nd unit power play ice time, in addition to penalty kill time and a spot on the line with Jonathan Drouin and Alex Killorn. He is earning it with his play as well, as he has been very impressive in his current stint.

What can he become at the NHL level? I get that he is already 25, but does he have a legit NHL future? If so, what?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
That goal was a beauty. I was surprised how strong he is on his skates and his overall physical presence.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Basically Point/Johnson on the wing. Who knows what his potential is, but he should be given a legitimate shot as a third line tweener.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think he shows the same sorts of offensive flashes that Marchessault did. I think at most we're looking at a depth player who can chip in some offense from time to time. Really like the energy he's bringing right now though, and he looks pretty good with Killer and Drouin.

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He had a whale of a game against the Panthers. Not only the goal - he was noticeable every shift. Like what I saw from him.

Not going to expect much beyond that at this point, but at the same time, we need contributions this season from unlikely places if we want to make the playoffs.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He had a whale of a game against the Panthers. Not only the goal - he was noticeable every shift. Like what I saw from him.

Not going to expect much beyond that at this point, but at the same time, we need contributions this season from unlikely places if we want to make the playoffs.

Yeah. I thought he deserved 1st star, he looked very good out there.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The guy has offensive talent, he's had better AHL stats every year for the past 3 years along with a gritty part of his game. This is where we could use scoring depth, by replacing a guy like JT Brown with Gourde.

He has 40% of JT Brown's production in 10% amount of games. Later Brown, that shift on the PK last game has been what JT Brown has been trying to do for the past 3 years.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Everyone in this league gets to score a point once in a while nowadays, that's the sacrosanct scoring depth. Well, everyone but JT Brown.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not sure if anyone noticed the terrible giveaway he had in the second. Still love him, less of that please

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Not sure if anyone noticed the terrible giveaway he had in the second. Still love him, less of that please
I vaguely remember him doing something pretty ill-advised, but he also pulled two or three prime scoring chances out of a hat, won a lot of tough battles for pucks, and made at least one ridiculously filthy pass to set Drouin up. Given the way we're having to play right now he's kind of getting thrown in at the deep end, and from that standpoint I'll forgive the odd lapse in judgement. Right up until said lapse in judgement costs us a goal, that is.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
The guy has offensive talent, he's had better AHL stats every year for the past 3 years along with a gritty part of his game. This is where we could use scoring depth, by replacing a guy like JT Brown with Gourde.

He has 40% of JT Brown's production in 10% amount of games. Later Brown, that shift on the PK last game has been what JT Brown has been trying to do for the past 3 years.

Agreed, his offensive skills didn’t just develop in the AHL. Here are his PPG numbers in major junior compared to other Bolts. On a healthy team he adds bottom 6 scoring depth.
Stamkos 1.72 (17 yrs old)
Drouin 2.35
Kucherov 1.96
Point 1.83
Gourde 1.82
Johnson 1.62
Palat 1.57
Erne 1.43

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Isn't Gourde like 25? I wouldn't expect much offense from him going forward. I'd be fine with him on the fourth line, though. Kid has a motor that doesn't quit.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Isn't Gourde like 25? I wouldn't expect much offense from him going forward. I'd be fine with him on the fourth line, though. Kid has a motor that doesn't quit.

Same age and similar production to JAM in the AHL, JAM would've scored about 30 points through a full season with us last year. Obviously don't think Gourde will match JAM's production this year but he's offensively talented, could very well do 25-30 points a 3rd/4th line tweener.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Gourde's breed is that of an harasser with a nanoscale touch of offensive upside. The biggest question mark remains his stamina, if his motor doesn't go up in smoke anytime soon, watch out. He reminds me quite a bit of John 'Mad Dog" Madden and that's paying a great compliment to Yanni.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Same age and similar production to JAM in the AHL, JAM would've scored about 30 points through a full season with us last year. Obviously don't think Gourde will match JAM's production this year but he's offensively talented, could very well do 25-30 points a 3rd/4th line tweener.

I think he may push 40 points one year if we give him quality linemates.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he may push 40 points one year if we give him quality linemates.

Maybe as a third triplet. I don't think he's showing anywhere near the flashes JAM did. JAM created a fair amount of plays and had a lot of near-misses to go along with a small amount of production. I'm seeing a lot more "energy guy" with Gourde. Like a higher energy, lower skilled, version Vlad Namestnikov.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
He was really bad tonight. It even stood out when compared with how bad everyone else played. A few of his passes and decisions were head scratchers.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He was really bad tonight. It even stood out when compared with how bad everyone else played. A few of his passes and decisions were head scratchers.

It was bound to happen. He's playing way, way over his head right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad