Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Is it me or does he look awful this year offensively? It seems everything dies on his stick. Was his deal premature?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is it me or does he look awful this year offensively? It seems everything dies on his stick. Was his deal premature?

He's in a role where he's usually the best player on his line. That's never been good for him. He's more a guy who's gonna clean up the trash in front of the net on a scoring chance created by somebody else. He's been the odd man out this year (Johnson too, to a lesser degree) and has been playing with guys who don't create much.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
He's in a role where he's usually the best player on his line. That's never been good for him. He's more a guy who's gonna clean up the trash in front of the net on a scoring chance created by somebody else. He's been the odd man out this year (Johnson too, to a lesser degree) and has been playing with guys who don't create much.

Seems like we overpaid then

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
The Gourde contract is a complete mystery to me! He was an overage (relative to his NHL exp), underskilled, high motor kid who had 1 decent year and the lightning gave him an extremely bloated contract. We had Stephens waiting in the minors who at worst was likely to bring same level of production. Had we not paid Gourde, would Miller still be on our team??? Gourde has no stick work ability to get by people and while he did score dirty goals down low previously, even that has dried up. He is too small to get by without having elite level skill such as TJ and Point. I believe Gourde is essentially a Cory Conacher who you would never give a $4M plus deal for more than 3 years!

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
The Gourde contract is a complete mystery to me! He was an overage (relative to his NHL exp), underskilled, high motor kid who had 1 decent year and the lightning gave him an extremely bloated contract. We had Stephens waiting in the minors who at worst was likely to bring same level of production. Had we not paid Gourde, would Miller still be on our team??? Gourde has no stick work ability to get by people and while he did score dirty goals down low previously, even that has dried up. He is too small to get by without having elite level skill such as TJ and Point. I believe Gourde is essentially a Cory Conacher who you would never give a $4M plus deal for more than 3 years!
What baffles me the most about Gourde's contract is that his perfect replacement, more skilled than him, is Barré-Boulet.
I really don't get why he was signed 1) this long 2) for that much money 3) with a NTC clause.
The Gourde contract is the only thing JBB did wrong since taking over IMO (I believe that the Vas contract will look good in a couple of years)

Reactions: Todd1a and Hint1k

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

TJ has elite skill? Why does he get out scored by Gourde annually then?

Gourde averaged 56 points per year the last 2 years, calling that Conacher production is dumb. You know the only forwards who average higher than that are Point, Stamkos and Kucherov right?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why does everyone think Gourde is unskilled all of a sudden? Not sure what Barre-Boulet has done that's so much different than anything Gourde hasn't already did? People want to say Gourde didn't tear up the Q until he was an overager but he really wasn't an overager when he put up 124 points. He was 19 at the start of that year and turned 20 in the middle, ABB was a full 20 and turned 21 during his 116 point true overage Q season. Gourde did have a bad first year and a half when he turned pro but he was in the Shark organization and I have no idea how they ran their AHL team. But at 22 turning 23 he was in Syracuse and had a 57 point season on an awful Syracuse offensive team. ABB at 21 turning 22 had 68 on a much better Syracuse team. I have nothing against Barre-Boulet but to say he's way more skilled is to discredit Gourde and everything he did in the same leagues where he had as good or better numbers.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So Gourde is a bit overpaid, but it doesn't really bother me because he doesn't really disappear. He always plays well, forechecks hard, and is noticeable in a positive way. Bad contract, but still a good player.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
The guy had 64 points in his rookie season while being a good two way player. He signed the new contract November 2nd, 2018 after starting his 2nd season with 13 points in 12 games. There is zero chance he was getting less than 5.1m, and if you think it was possible to get him for less at that point then you are wrong.

His powerplay time has been halved, but if he went back to around 2m pptoi a game then he probably would be close to a 50 point guy again this season. He's currently on pace for 37 points while receiving bottom 6 ice time and less than a minute on the powerplay a game. It's definitely not bad given the situation. If he were to be traded and ended up in another teams top 6 you may see a resurgence akin to JT Miller in Vancouver.

Reactions: Chromolith

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Seems like we overpaid then
If only we didn't pay Gourde and kept Miller. Then we would have not needed to send a 1st for one of Goodrow or Coleman. I like Goodrow more than Coleman. Both are good bottom 6 players and physical, but JT is better than either.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If only we didn't pay Gourde and kept Miller. Then we would have not needed to send a 1st for one of Goodrow or Coleman. I like Goodrow more than Coleman. Both are good bottom 6 players and physical, but JT is better than either.
Coleman is a lot better than Goodrow.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

This sick shorthanded snipe deserves a repost in his thread.

For what it was worth, he was fantastic yesterday. The shorthanded goal was scored right in front of us and everyone went nuts. He missed another one and yeah, we could hear him swearing.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Coleman is a lot better than Goodrow.

Coleman is awesome. He is a lot faster than the television reveals and really opens up the ice for that line. Once that cohesion is locked in that is a solid scoring and defensive line.

Reactions: TheGreatOutlaw

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why do people want Miller back? Gourde outscored him last year and Miller isn't going to be a 70 point player here. Last year at ES Miller had 9g 27p Gourde had 16g 37p. This year with how bad Gourde is he's got 7g 19p at ES. If he stays somewhat hot he probably get 10 ES goals and close to 27 ES points. He's the much better defensive player, he's got 3shg and 4 shp since last season and can play in the bottom 6 better. I wouldn't say Miller is the better player, he's just taking advantage of the opportunity in Vancouver. If Gourde was in that spot he's probably back to or close to the 60 point player he was. Here Gourde is the better player.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
What baffles me the most about Gourde's contract is that his perfect replacement, more skilled than him, is Barré-Boulet.
I really don't get why he was signed 1) this long 2) for that much money 3) with a NTC clause.
The Gourde contract is the only thing JBB did wrong since taking over IMO (I believe that the Vas contract will look good in a couple of years)

i could understand and get paying gourde that deal! But why give him a ntc for 3 years ? At least Brisebois should have made it a limited ntc where he has to list 8 teams he would waive to be traded to. JBB giving gourde that contract was definitely a head scratcher for sure.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Why do people want Miller back? Gourde outscored him last year and Miller isn't going to be a 70 point player here. Last year at ES Miller had 9g 27p Gourde had 16g 37p. This year with how bad Gourde is he's got 7g 19p at ES. If he stays somewhat hot he probably get 10 ES goals and close to 27 ES points. He's the much better defensive player, he's got 3shg and 4 shp since last season and can play in the bottom 6 better. I wouldn't say Miller is the better player, he's just taking advantage of the opportunity in Vancouver. If Gourde was in that spot he's probably back to or close to the 60 point player he was. Here Gourde is the better player.
People don’t really hate gourde we just don’t like his contract and he has a NTC for the first 3 years of it is why

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Uh huh....except everything tangible disproves that. Gourde had oppertunities on the top line here and couldn't get back to 60 points, he likely isn't a 60 point player anywhere at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad