Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Just wanna say. Thgere were a lot of guys who critised Gourde during regular season. Yeah he didnt score,but i couldnt understand all critics,dude is flying all over the ice,hitting opponents never gives up,speedy,grinding,pushing,positive player,i always liked hes playing)
He gets paid over 5 mil so of course there's gonna be critics when you go what, 30 games without a goal?

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
He gets paid over 5 mil so of course there's gonna be critics when you go what, 30 games without a goal?
yeah can agree with you. But his effort even hes not scoring a lot pays off.I think those money even without him scoring,he deserves them,not a lot of guys in the league can sparkle fire like Yanni does.I hope u understand what i meant) sorry english isnt my native language)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
yeah can agree with you. But his effort even hes not scoring a lot pays off.I think those money even without him scoring,he deserves them,not a lot of guys in the league can sparkle fire like Yanni does.I hope u understand what i meant) sorry english isnt my native language)

That's what 4th liners are paid to do, 5m players are expected to score. We signed Gourde because he hustles and because he put up ~60 points a season, if he only does 1 of those things we're only getting half the value. He was a blackhole offensively for most of the season, luckily he's finding his game now.

Reactions: Peacefool

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde slumped hard. But he seems to have found himself again. Whether scoring or not, he's having an impact. That wasn't true in the deepest depths of the slump. If he'd played like that as a rookie, he would have been sent down.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
That's what 4th liners are paid to do, 5m players are expected to score. We signed Gourde because he hustles and because he put up ~60 points a season, if he only does 1 of those things we're only getting half the value. He was a blackhole offensively for most of the season, luckily he's finding his game now.
DUDE AS I SAID I totally agree with you. People expect from 5m guymto score goals,but Gourdes attitude to game ,i think its worth scoring goals,he makes guys play hard,he gives energy to whole team,and i agree that 2 3 4 guys like Gourde ho earns 5m and not scornig is waste of money,but one guy,one Gourde with his attitude is worth those 5 m))

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
DUDE AS I SAID I totally agree with you. People expect from 5m guymto score goals,but Gourdes attitude to game ,i think its worth scoring goals,he makes guys play hard,he gives energy to whole team,and i agree that 2 3 4 guys like Gourde ho earns 5m and not scornig is waste of money,but one guy,one Gourde with his attitude is worth those 5 m))
I don't think you're actually agreeing with him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yes it is, if he's not scoring then f*** no, get him off the team at 5.6m. We don't need more Callahan's when we're right up to the cap.

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yes it is, if he's not scoring then f*** no, get him off the team at 5.6m. We don't need more Callahan's when we're right up to the cap.
Yeah this is fine for the very short term but if he's just as bad at scoring next year then it's another crap contract to get out of.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yeah this is fine for the very short term but if he's just as bad at scoring next year then it's another crap contract to get out of.
theres no evidence that he will be, based on the other seasons he played lol

also oddly enough his penalty differential was way worse this year than any other year of his career. i expect that to bounce back as well

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he'll bounce back. Not to 65 points, but 45ish seems realistic. I don't know how much you can hold the half-season slump from hell against him. I mean, I know you can, but at the same time, I'm not sure how predictive it is of the future.

It was really good to see him figure out how to play his A-game against CBJ. He looked physically over-matched in the playoffs before now, so coming through against the team that uses that most to their advantage is big, IMO.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think he'll bounce back. Not to 65 points, but 45ish seems realistic. I don't know how much you can hold the half-season slump from hell against him. I mean, I know you can, but at the same time, I'm not sure how predictive it is of the future.

It was really good to see him figure out how to play his A-game against CBJ. He looked physically over-matched in the playoffs before now, so coming through against the team that uses that most to their advantage is big, IMO.
I mean the line he is on helps.

You put him with Maroon and Ceddy of course he won't look as good.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019

actually when they put Yanni there this line looked really good,yeah not for the long time but still looked good with him)
or maybe i missunderstood ur message)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think it's more about confidence. He was all over the line up this year. Being moved down to play with Maroon and Paquette actually made him effective for a few games, because he'd been utter trash in the games leading up to it.

But there's a big difference in his overall play right now. He's still not scoring a ton, but he's tenacious and making an impact.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
There are so many good things to highlight right now. But let's take a moment to acknowledge that Gourde was fairly invisible in the regular season, and his contract looked putrid. In the playoffs, though, he has been a monster. He has been flying out there. His forechecking was invaluable to putting Columbus and Boston on their heels. He is second in the playoffs in loose puck retrievals. Simply put, he has been a playoff monster - hope to see the momentum continue.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
I think it's more about confidence. He was all over the line up this year. Being moved down to play with Maroon and Paquette actually made him effective for a few games, because he'd been utter trash in the games leading up to it.

But there's a big difference in his overall play right now. He's still not scoring a ton, but he's tenacious and making an impact.
He's also playing center, which seems like the best position to take advantage of his skills.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Gourde has really shined these playoffs. His whole line has. During that 5OT the dude never stopped and didn't even look gassed or tired. He's been great these playoffs.

Between him, Johnson and Killorn I'll take Gourde. Trade the other two (at least one) for that sweet cap relief. I think Johnson probably has the most value.

That 3rd line gets to wreak havoc all next season too :nod:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Gourde has really shined these playoffs. His whole line has. During that 5OT the dude never stopped and didn't even look gassed or tired. He's been great these playoffs.

Between him, Johnson and Killorn I'll take Gourde. Trade the other two (at least one) for that sweet cap relief. I think Johnson probably has the most value.

That 3rd line gets to wreak havoc all next season too :nod:
yeah except Johny has a NMC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde's back to being the player he was pre-slump. The question is whether or not these slumps are going to be an occasional part of his career. Whatever the case, for right now, he's back to being an important player, filling in a key role, especially with Cirelli looking more/less incapable of being a shut down center for the time-being.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad