News: Yamamoto, Kostin on the way out as Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Good stuff. Thanks for the response. Kostin is a player of interest. I’m sure Bill Armstrong loves the player too.
Everyone should love him. He showed some good things last year. I hope he decides to take a lower payday to stay in Edmonton though. I would want to pay him as a 4th liner. He likely wants the chance to be a 3rd liner.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No interest at all in Yamamoto. I still think the Oilers will need to add to move him. I'll be back to gloat if that's the case.

I do like Kostin though. He'd be a good pickup.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He's a 4th liner for Edmonton. Wants to be paid like a 3rd liner. In today's NHL, he's a million dollar player. Maybe 1.25.
He played 10 minutes a night yet he tallied 21 points and +12 rating with great underlying stats and solid play off performance. He was utilized as a 4th line forward but absolutely deserved to be paid as a 3rd liner

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Seems like the Oilers could use more Kostins not less...

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I'd easily pay Kostin the 3 year, $4.5 million deal thrown out on that page. I'm not entirely sure why the Oilers wouldn't.

23 years old, on pace for about 15 goals and 30 points last year, throws a ton of hits, really big....I don't see what's not to like about him as a bottom-6 guy.
Oilers don’t like winning.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He's been rumoured to want to go back to Russia for awhile now. His skillset, he could dominate over there and get paid well to do it while at home.

Oh really? I thought the KHL wasn't paying that well anymore?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He played 10 minutes a night yet he tallied 21 points and +12 rating with great underlying stats and solid play off performance. He was utilized as a 4th line forward but absolutely deserved to be paid as a 3rd liner
He also isn't reliable in many ways. A contender doesn't have a guy like Kostin on the 3rd line. So that's where we are at
He can stay on the Oilers on the 4th line and get paid to be a 4th liner, or he can be moved to a lesser team where he might get a chance higher in the lineup but it probably won't be on a contender.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Oh really? I thought the KHL wasn't paying that well anymore?
I think a few guys pull in 1.5m a season or around there. I could see him getting more over there then here for sure. Bit of a different tax structure over there as well.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think a few guys pull in 1.5m a season or around there. I could see him getting more over there then here for sure. Bit of a different tax structure over there as well.

Based on what he did this season he could easily get a 1.5-2.5 kind of deal in the 2-4 year range.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He also isn't reliable in many ways. A contender doesn't have a guy like Kostin on the 3rd line. So that's where we are at
He can stay on the Oilers on the 4th line and get paid to be a 4th liner, or he can be moved to a lesser team where he might get a chance higher in the lineup but it probably won't be on a contender.
The Oilers have 5 really good forwards. The problem is they make a lot of money. It'll be tough to fill in quality around that. I like McLeod a lot. Foegele is ok, but he makes too much. Other than those 2 I like Kostin the next most outside the top 5 guys.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The Oilers have 5 really good forwards. The problem is they make a lot of money. It'll be tough to fill in quality around that. I like McLeod a lot. Foegele is ok, but he makes too much. Other than those 2 I like Kostin the next most outside the top 5 guys.
Kostin had a couple of nice heaters last season including memorable goals in the playoffs, but he didn't play consistently as well as for instance, Derek Ryan.

Overpaying the hot hand is how you end up with a guy like Mangiapane making $6 million. I hope the Oilers avoid that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Losing Kostin would suck. Hopefully his agent and Holland can come to an agreement.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
If Kostin could play motivated 6 out of every 10 games instead of 1 or 2, the guy would be a 5 million dollar player easy. Consistency is his biggest thing

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Letting Kostin go over 250k would be a big mistake. I bet plenty of GMs are reaching out. Package him up with Yamamoto and see what you can get.

Kostin had a couple of nice heaters last season including memorable goals in the playoffs, but he didn't play consistently as well as for instance, Derek Ryan.

Overpaying the hot hand is how you end up with a guy like Mangiapane making $6 million. I hope the Oilers avoid that.
Kostin plays a hard game. He played games with an upper and a lower body injury last season. And he still brought the physicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad