Confirmed Trade: Yakupov to STL Part II

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I think his sister was taking some school courses locally, not sure if that is still the case, but that might slow down them moving to St. Louis. Nail is a very family oriented person and they are a big part of his life, so I'm sure they will figure something out.

Thanks for the info.

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
I think Hall trade was fine. Maybe score another pick? And I think the Yakupov trade is fine. Should've been done sooner to get more. You also can't fault the Oilers for drafting Yakupov. All of us had him ranked first overall. The Griffin Reinhart trade was heart stoppingly stupid at the time and has become more humiliating with each passing day. Just awful. Kris Russell? It's a one year deal. It's fine. They're under the cap so who cares? Team needed a culture change. They got rid of the two most brash personalities on the team and it's likely a very different vibe in the room right now. That's what we were all calling for. Get the best RHD you can and change the culture. Done and done (hopefully). The Reinhart thing, though, is completely inexcusable.

Agree with much of this except having Yak as the 1st oa. I liked Galchenyuk myself. I do think that Reinhart was a Green influence and just as before, these guys get to stick around, that drives me crazy!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nail was a lost soul. This is what he said tonight. Wonder why he didn't seek help?

CutDPg5UEAA2dQk.jpg

It can be tough if other guys in the room and or coaches have a general "you just gotta man up"attitude.

Doesn't then help when you're not much of a party guy and don't drink - and you are constantly attacked by the press for being lazy/terrible.

The poor kid never stood a chance in Edmonton.

I really, really hope he has a career rebound with the Blues.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
People in a bad place often don't seek help because it takes all of their capacity simply to function and they cannot handle even considering making themselves more vulnerable. When someone feels like so much is already out of their control, it's unthinkable to give up even more control to people they already know and trust, let alone people they don't know how to begin trusting.

And that doesn't even consider the huge stigmas against getting help for emotional and mental health. People who care the most are the ones who often end up blaming the help-seeker for not fulfilling their hopes for them to be happy. Isolation is reinforced at basically every turn. So you shouldn't wonder why he didn't seek help before, but, rather, be impressed that he's managing to be so open about it now.

These are empathetic, wise words. I salute you, good sir/lady.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Agree with much of this except having Yak as the 1st oa. I liked Galchenyuk myself. I do think that Reinhart was a Green influence and just as before, these guys get to stick around, that drives me crazy!

So did I, but it would have been a very tough decision for the Oil to take Galchenyuk 1st after a season where he played in less than 10 games.

Too bad for Yakupov, I will always love him for this

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Edmonton treated him like garbage. He always seemed like a good kid.

Multiple stories came out about how good he was to people in the public but he never asked for media attention for those things.

Hopefully he has a long career in St.Louis

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Edmonton treated him like garbage. He always seemed like a good kid.

Multiple stories came out about how good he was to people in the public but he never asked for media attention for those things.

Hopefully he has a long career in St.Louis

Majority of fans loved yak, it was his on ice play people were dissapointed with, but aside from the media he wasn't treated like garbage.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
It can be tough if other guys in the room and or coaches have a general "you just gotta man up"attitude.

Doesn't then help when you're not much of a party guy and don't drink - and you are constantly attacked by the press for being lazy/terrible.

The poor kid never stood a chance in Edmonton.

I really, really hope he has a career rebound with the Blues.

Edmonton is a dysfunctional organization, I think Yak now has a shot to be the player he should and I'm kinda mad Stan Bowman didn't pull the trigger on a trade for him... I think Bowman made a huge mistake on that one.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Chia is going to have to manufacture a drastic story one day. One where Yakupov put a gun to his head and demanded to be traded.

There is no other actual rationale for GIVING THE GUY AWAY

I mean worst case, he SUCKS and bolts for the KHL. I would FAR rather we send him there or allow him to go and get nothing but retain his rights until if and when he returns.

Getting a low second or 3rd with our scouting staff is basically no pick at all.
he didn't want to return and he didn't want to play for the Oilers...he wanted out

Chia offered him at the trade deadline and got no solid offers

holding onto a diminishing asset who's affecting the locker room is terrible IMO

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Majority of fans loved yak, it was his on ice play people were dissapointed with, but aside from the media he wasn't treated like garbage.

I should have clarified. Media was harsh. certain coaches seemed to put him on a shorter leash than other

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
he didn't want to return and he didn't want to play for the Oilers...he wanted out

Chia offered him at the trade deadline and got no solid offers

holding onto a diminishing asset who's affecting the locker room is terrible IMO

Are you saying he personally affected the locker room or that the entire circus around his treatment affected the locker room? He seems to me like a humble guy in the short time we've heard him in St. Louis. I'd find it hard to believe that he would be a vocal malcontent.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Are you saying he personally affected the locker room or that the entire circus around his treatment affected the locker room? He seems to me like a humble guy in the short time we've heard him in St. Louis. I'd find it hard to believe that he would be a vocal malcontent.

Oh no, he absolutely did no wrong. Unfortunately, Eakins and even McLellan at times really didn't do him any favours. With that being said, with Todd Nelson and Derek Roy, he looked primed to become a difference maker.

As an Oiler fan and a Yak fan, I can tell you he's humble and above all he's hard-working. If the Blues treat him better than the Oilers did (surround him with the players he needs), he still has a great chance to take off and become a big contributor. This could very well become a awful trade by Chiarelli.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Oh no, he absolutely did no wrong. Unfortunately, Eakins and even McLellan at times really didn't do him any favours. With that being said, with Todd Nelson and Derek Roy, he looked primed to become a difference maker.

As an Oiler fan and a Yak fan, I can tell you he's humble and above all he's hard-working. If the Blues treat him better than the Oilers did (surround him with the players he needs), he still has a great chance to take off and become a big contributor. This could very well become a awful trade by Chiarelli.

been a fan of yak since day 1, i have no doubt this kid will bounce back. wish montreal would have went for him!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He's probably not even close to being the only one who feels this way
Exactly. There are probably tons of guys around the league who are dealing with similar issues.

I mean look at Devin Setoguchi and what he went through, really destroyed his career.

It's why I'm glad a guy like Dan Carcillo is apparently working with players to help them. Every sport needs something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad