Confirmed Trade: Yakupov to STL Part II

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Without question, Cogliano.

They're also two very different players at two very different points in their career.

The players themselves are not comparable. The situations certainly are.

Cogliano always had the speed and skating ability to play in the NHL...what noticeable aspects of Yak's game are going to translate to the Blues?

and the situation aren't similar at all...Yak wanted out, Cogs never asked for a trade

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think Hall trade was fine. Maybe score another pick? And I think the Yakupov trade is fine. Should've been done sooner to get more. You also can't fault the Oilers for drafting Yakupov. All of us had him ranked first overall. The Griffin Reinhart trade was heart stoppingly stupid at the time and has become more humiliating with each passing day. Just awful. Kris Russell? It's a one year deal. It's fine. They're under the cap so who cares? Team needed a culture change. They got rid of the two most brash personalities on the team and it's likely a very different vibe in the room right now. That's what we were all calling for. Get the best RHD you can and change the culture. Done and done (hopefully). The Reinhart thing, though, is completely inexcusable.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
So much for Edmonton fans turning down better trade proposals than this left and right lmao

Damn son, harsh- fake trade proposals on the Internet that neither fanbase had the power to actually execute. GOT 'EM!

Stop staring at his point totals. There's more to the game than just that.

If that was true, why did a player with a better offensive resume and two Cups to his name in Versteeg need to audition for an NHL job? I'll let you mull on that one. It couldn't be that players of their ilk are available at all points in the year for virtually and literally nothing, could it?

Cogliano is an iron-man checking winger and the Oilers have had the worst bottom six in the league for the last half decade and have been plagued with injuries for years.

Great, so he would have played lots of meaningless games in a fairly unimportant role. Still not seeing the benefit.

And just to play along, how many 30 point third liners has this team been blessed with recently?

2015-16: Benoit Pouliot, 7th in TOI. 36 points.
2014-15: Nail Yakupov, 7th in TOI. 32 points.
2013-14: None
2012-13: Magnus Paajarvi, 7th in TOI. 16 points/42 GP
2011-12: Sam Gagner, 7th in TOI. 47 points. Also Ryan Jones, 8th in TOI, 33 points.

So the answer would be lots.

Versteeg is a guy who's started 60% of his shifts in the offensive zone the past few years. Is that what checking wingers do?

Apparently the Ducks saw fit to start seven other forwards more in the defensive zone than Cogliano in 2015-16. Is that what checking wingers do?

This is another example of the Oilers turning a player into nothing. That's all I was saying. If you care to dig deeper into it, you're just wasting your time.

I would say you're wasting yours still ruing the day he was moved, but it's years too late for that now and no way recouping any of that time.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Quote: I'll cut right to my biggest pet peeve about the Oilers because the evidence is right there in your post. You've yet to say negative word one about the Oilers yet continue to profess the value of potential. Perhaps the brainwashing of the Lowe's of the world is too strong. The fact is Yakupov has talent and could be a good player but isn't today. If he goes to a new environment and kills it (or surpasses 15 goals) it means the potential was there and the Oilers were incapable of realizing it and, in fact , repressed it. To me the fans in Edm need to be more vocal that this offseason has to be different for their own sake and the sake of the league and need to start voicing their frustrations in the only forum the old garde recognizes, be willing to stop going to games and watching the team, it's been a gong-show for far too long. Imagine if McDavid's career progresses worse than Ovechkin's has from a team standpoint....I'm rarely more invested in hockey talk than casual fandom but that is a terrible thing for fans of any and all teams.

Its a little tough to quote since the other thread was shut before 1000 (we had almost 20 posts to go!), but I'm not sure what your point is. Yak and management were both to blame. Something was done about it. Looking back does nothing. A strong manger is someone who is able to look at a situation and deal with it, without having emotions or history come into play.

The Oilers are blessed with offensive talent. Yak brings nothing that others cant. Yeah, they stunted his growth by a carousel of coaches and systems, but he stunted his own growth by not developing his game (see my revious post by Ryan Rishaug). But whats done is done. Whats best for the team and player is to move on, and that's what happened. I'm not sure what more you want. Most Oiler fans knew he wasn't going to be there moving forward, so this was a move we all knew was coming.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hitch just said Yak is going to be on a line with mature players and will work on his 200' game a little at a time. He said they want to enhance his skills.

Last edited:

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
yak was traded for scraps. Yak was scraps to edmonton. edmonton was never going to win any yak trade. St louis Might win this, but it likely will be a who cares for who cares when its looked back on.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenPeat
I'll cut right to my biggest pet peeve about the Oilers because the evidence is right there in your post. You've yet to say negative word one about the Oilers yet continue to profess the value of potential. Perhaps the brainwashing of the Lowe's of the world is too strong. The fact is Yakupov has talent and could be a good player but isn't today. If he goes to a new environment and kills it (or surpasses 15 goals) it means the potential was there and the Oilers were incapable of realizing it and, in fact , repressed it. To me the fans in Edm need to be more vocal that this offseason has to be different for their own sake and the sake of the league and need to start voicing their frustrations in the only forum the old garde recognizes, be willing to stop going to games and watching the team, it's been a gong-show for far too long. Imagine if McDavid's career progresses worse than Ovechkin's has from a team standpoint....I'm rarely more invested in hockey talk than casual fandom but that is a terrible thing for fans of any and all teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy
You want to talk hockey but yet all you do is skim the surface on yak and forumalte childlike opinions. If I wanted to be so shallow and simplistic as to assume that yaks only issue was the terrible development of the Oilers narrative, then you're not discussing hockey. You're just regurgitating what 90% of the posts here.

If 90% of the posts here reference the same sentiment it's not childlike, it's, in fact, an overwhelming majority opinion. (Unless you think 90% of posters here are children). If the overwhelming majority share a common sentiment and you don't it's called delusion. The Oilers players are bad because the Oilers development methods and team culture are bad, there should be little debate here. Will it continue moving forward? We should all (Oilers fans more than most) hope that it does not. Fans of the team, particularly paying fans, have more sway than fans of other teams who aren't likely to be propping up the Oilers by paying single and season-ticket shares. We should all be capable of more than blind support of our favorite team and should realise when the team beyond the players is at fault for the players failures. I have yet to hear Chiarelli say "we owe the fans better" and the only things I've heard current or past Oiler players say about other former Oilers has been negative, (Klefbom, Scrivens, has any Oiler said a good thing about Taylor Hall since that trade?, I'm unaware or was he solely responsible for infinite first overalls) which has me convinced that they, as much as everyone else, are not aware that they are part of the problem.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
If you look at Yakupov as the 1st overal pick with then trading him for a 2nd/3rd round pick is a loss. But if you look at Yakupov as the player he actually was at this point I'd honestly say this trade is fine. If Yakupov can turn things around it might change. But I'm going to be realistic and say I'm fine with the trade

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sounds like they are going to let YakDavid be YakDavid and teach him over time to work on his shortcomings. Will be interesting to see where he is 6 months from now as a player. He'll be with mature players to start, so wouldn't be surprised if that means with Berglund and Perron or Stastny and Steen.

Lehtera, Tarasenko, and Fabbri won't make sense until Yakupov develops his game a bit. Those 3 for different reasons need a little room to play a little riskier.

Last edited:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Sounds like they are going to let YakDavid be YakDavid and teach him over time to work on his shortcomings. Will be interesting to see where he is 6 months from now as a player. He'll be with mature players to start, so wouldn't be surprised if that means with Berglund and Perron or Stastny and Steen.

Lehtera, Tarasenko, and Fabbri won't make sense until YakDavid develops his game a bit. Those 3 for different reasons need a little room to play a little riskier.

Dude we didn't get YakDavid we only got Yak. If we wanted McDavid too we probably would have had to add NHL player Scottie Upshall and a conditional 2nd.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Dude we didn't get YakDavid we only got Yak. If we wanted McDavid too we probably would have had to add NHL player Scottie Upshall and a conditional 2nd.

My phone cracks me up sometimes. Now I wonder what was the context for YakDavid the first time.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Best of luck to Yak. It didn't work for him in Edmonton, but I hope he really turns it around in St. Louis and doesn't become just another name on the biggest NHL busts list.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
...Yakupov was negative value on HF until we traded him. Now it's "loloilers," "1st overall pick!" "Chiarelli's the worst!"

C'mon now.

No kidding, only a few days ago a thread popped up in here with the debate of whether or not Yak would clear waivers, let alone teams giving up asset(s) for Yak. Then Oilers make the move which allows them to sign a d-man and the place goes wild

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Cogliano always had the speed and skating ability to play in the NHL...what noticeable aspects of Yak's game are going to translate to the Blues?

and the situation aren't similar at all...Yak wanted out, Cogs never asked for a trade
Blues are looking to transition their playing style to a fast and skilled team. With Backes leaving...the days of the "big bad Blues" looks to be fading.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Hitch just said Yak is going to be on a line with mature players and will work on his 200' game a little at a time. He said they want to enhance his skills.

Oilers played Yak with mature players and also worked with him on his 200' game a little at a time... I get what Hitch is saying but Yak isn't getting anything unless he wants to. The biggest barrier Yak has is the one between his ears, not whatever coach is delivering the message.

Currently he's an offensive player who looks completely lost when in the offensive zone. He doesn't read the play well at all and therefore doesn't get into position to use his greatest asset, his shot. That's what Hitch/Blues needs to fix. Fix that and you get what Yak was supposed to be. Without fixing that it doesn't matter what you do on Yak 200' game because he'll never be worth the roster spot.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Literally a no risk situation at all for the Blues. Have a good enough team to make the playoffs even if Yakupov doesn't score a single goal. If he sucks, we sit him and play Ty Rattie or Dmitrij Jaskin on the 3rd line just like we were going to before the trade. And we gave up a 3rd rounder, lol.

If he scores 20 goals, then... It's a complete steal, and he'll add speed and even more skill to our (young) lineup. The Blues want to get younger and faster and they're doing that. They're a lot younger than people realize now.

It's a fantastic situation to take a chance on. We are not relying on him for anything. We don't even have to play him if we really don't want to, and then his contract would be up. If he produces, it's a luxury. And he'll be around plenty of guys that can help him out, which was not the case in Edmonton where he needed a change.

Maybe this trade becomes nothing, that's fine, but anyone saying the draft pick is the most valuable piece or something is just delusional.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I still think he is too young to give up. Only 23 years old and showed he can score in his rookie season. Its not like he has never shown anything. I'd take my chance for a 23 year old to play as good as his rookie season, than a late 2nd.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005

Maybe he'll play with Paajarvi.

Not sure how a #10 overall, a #1 overall, and #33 overall turns into an AHL defenseman and a conditional 3rd. Most teams would love to have selections like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad