Speculation: Yakupov - rest of this season

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
His shooting percentage being at 17.6% with 3 goals, through 21 games, is not to be applauded. It's to make you seriously question why a shooter isn't shooting.

Lack of opportunity isn't an excuse. He should be earning his opportunities.

The above discussion about the board battles is a perfect example. Does anyone believe that McLellan didn't go over this last season? Or that Hitch hasn't went over it with him this season?

When he sees a board battle he should immediately know what to do. There are excuses for him not seeing that situation developing, there are excuses for him not being effective when doing what is expected. Not getting into the right position after such a basic hockey play has developed? There aren't excuses for that, you're expecting a basic reaction after the fact. That should be making everyone question just how coachable he is.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
His shooting percentage being at 17.6% with 3 goals, through 21 games, is not to be applauded. It's to make you seriously question why a shooter isn't shooting.

Lack of opportunity isn't an excuse. He should be earning his opportunities.

The above discussion about the board battles is a perfect example. Does anyone believe that McLellan didn't go over this last season? Or that Hitch hasn't went over it with him this season?

When he sees a board battle he should immediately know what to do. There are excuses for him not seeing that situation developing, there are excuses for him not being effective when doing what is expected. Not getting into the right position after such a basic hockey play has developed? There aren't excuses for that, you're expecting a basic reaction after the fact. That should be making everyone question just how coachable he is.

That's like saying you want to hire someone for an entry-level job with 5 years experience.

You cannot have both.

I'm simply reserving judgment on him and how good he is on this team until we get a real sample-size of who he can be on this team. It just seems that everyone has already made up their opinions and know exactly who he is seeing him play 7 minutes twice every 5 games on the third line.

I am in no way saying he is a perfect or some amazing player. I am saying we don't really know who he is on this team but stats and the good ol eye test of his past say he creates offense which is something this team lacks so that's good reason to give him a real chance which he isn't getting.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's like saying you want to hire someone for an entry-level job with 5 years experience.

You cannot have both.

I'm simply reserving judgment on him and how good he is on this team until we get a real sample-size of who he can be on this team. It just seems that everyone has already made up their opinions and know exactly who he is seeing him play 7 minutes twice every 5 games on the third line.

I am in no way saying he is a perfect or some amazing player. I am saying we don't really know who he is on this team but stats and the good ol eye test of his past say he creates offense which is something this team lacks so that's good reason to give him a real chance which he isn't getting.

He's averaged just over 10 minutes in 21 games and has played on every line except the Tarasenko line so far. A bigger and better sample size than you think.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

You cannot have both.

It isn't anything like that, because Yakupov has played in 20+ games. He has been given chances to earn more minutes and he hasn't taken them. He hasn't taken them because he still isn't doing the basics well enough, like the board battles example.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the decisions that Hitch makes, but he shuffles the lines enough during games that if a player is playing well then he'll get more minutes. Scoring isn't a requirement to be "playing well" either.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015

You cannot have both.

I don't see how it's possible to make any point counter to this. bleedblue1223 man, I think you are right so far about some of the mistakes he made, but you arent taking psychology into account. This ain't NHL on Xbox. Yakupov is a human being.

Get him to build confidence, put him with 2 top 6 scoring forwards. If he can stop thinking and be in the flow state and he could look completely different on the ice. The hands, shot, onetimer, explosion is all obviously there.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-combinations/?player1=Nail+Yakupov&flag=y

He's spent plenty of time with our skilled forwards. He's played with everyone except Tarasenko.

When confidence is used as an excuse, you know you are grasping at straws and just hoping for something. Do you think he's had a confidence problem his entire career, except for a couple stretches? How long would you wait for his confidence if you do believe that's the main issue?

People really overvalue his strengths in his game. He really doesn't have that good of a shot. My opinion of him is watching him for his entire career, he's never shown much of anything outside of a few unsustainable stretches.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-combinations/?player1=Nail+Yakupov&flag=y

He's spent plenty of time with our skilled forwards. He's played with everyone except Tarasenko.

When confidence is used as an excuse, you know you are grasping at straws and just hoping for something. Do you think he's had a confidence problem his entire career, except for a couple stretches? How long would you wait for his confidence if you do believe that's the main issue?

People really overvalue his strengths in his game. He really doesn't have that good of a shot. My opinion of him is watching him for his entire career, he's never shown much of anything outside of a few unsustainable stretches.

It's too bad you weren't a head scout in the NHL so you could have warned all the teams that Yakupov was a bust. I mean clearly since you have been watching him his entire career and have always known he was a dud and no pro scout in 2012 would ever agree that he was as bad as you say he is. He was #1 overall for a reason.

Is he as good as he was touted? No. Have the Blues given him a fair shake? No.

As far as your chart... 13.7% of his miserable ice-time minutes being with Schwartz and Stastny is what you are defending here? You are saying that's a fair shake? That's just over 1 shift out of every 10 he has taken on the Blues. Considering his ice time per game is about 10 minutes and his average shifts per game is 15 that would mean he has spent less than 1 minute of of ice time per shift. Total of 321 shifts and 216 minutes if ice time.... 13.7% of that is... 29.5 minutes total with top players.

Yeah that is absolutely enough time with top players to determine how good he can be when he doesn't play with scrubs.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's too bad you weren't a head scout in the NHL so you could have warned all the teams that Yakupov was a bust. I mean clearly since you have been watching him his entire career and have always known he was a dud and no pro scout in 2012 would ever agree that he was as bad as you say he is. He was #1 overall for a reason.

As far as your chart... 13.7% of his miserable ice-time minutes being with Schwartz and Stastny is what you are defending here? You are saying that's a fair shake? That's just over 1 shift out of every 10 he has taken on the Blues. Considering his ice time per game is about 10 minutes and his average shifts per game is 15 that would mean he has spent less than 1 minute of of ice time per shift. Total of 321 shifts and 216 minutes if ice time.... 13.7% of that is... 29.5 minutes total with top players.

Yeah that is absolutely enough time with top players to determine how good he can be when he doesn't play with scrubs.

Well, if you actually go through the list, he's been on the ice with at least 1 top 6 caliber linemate a good amount of the time.

He's been on lines with at least 1 player of the group: Stastny, Schwartz, Perron, Tarasenko, Steen, and Fabbri 49.35% of the time. He's been paired with 2 of these players 28.41% of the time.

If we expand the list to include Berglund and Lehtera, then it's 94.29% of the time with at least 1 of those players.

This notion that he plays with scrubs the majority of the time here is a lie. I'm going to call you out on it because it's a lie. Use some sort of on-ice evidence to backup your position.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015

The last game Yak played with Schwartz and Stastny was pretty bad. Schwartz needed support for a good 5-8 seconds with Yak just standing there. Yak finally came to help out after Schwartz won free and was near the point with the puck, causing 3 Blues players all at the left point of the blue line. The rink was quiet enough that you could hear Schwartz yelling at Yak to get out of the way.

Yak has had more than enough time to watch the game from the box and understand the system. Yet he still doesn't know what he should be doing when he is on the ice. Yak's only value is on the rush as a puck carrier, but even then, he is far too inconsistent and creative to be of much value.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

All the pro-scouts in the League will have watched Yakupov over his NHL career, and the best offer that Edmonton got was a third round pick that becomes a second if he hits a milestone he hasn't hit since his rookie season.

Some perspective on that... the Blues were expected to be one of the best teams in the League again coming into this season. I'm sure the Oilers would have taken a third rounder straight up from a bad team (New Jersey, Toronto, Carolina, Colorado, etc) rather than the Blues offer. Bad teams, even the ones in need of offense, weren't offering thirds. The other 2 interested teams were demanding that Edmonton retained salary.

This isn't a situation where we identified a good player that fit our system, went out and got him and are now not giving him a chance because he didn't mesh instantly. This is a situation where we had a roster spot open, cap space and bought a lottery ticket with a third rounder. We didn't win the lottery, we shouldn't go chasing our losses by shoehorning him onto lines he simply doesn't deserve to be on.

Edmonton let him go for a late third for a reason.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Well, if you actually go through the list, he's been on the ice with at least 1 top 6 caliber linemate a good amount of the time.

He's been on lines with at least 1 player of the group: Stastny, Schwartz, Perron, Tarasenko, Steen, and Fabbri 49.35% of the time. He's been paired with 2 of these players 28.41% of the time.

If we expand the list to include Berglund and Lehtera, then it's 94.29% of the time with at least 1 of those players.

This notion that he plays with scrubs the majority of the time here is a lie. I'm going to call you out on it because it's a lie. Use some sort of on-ice evidence to backup your position.

Stats are a funny thing because they can be used in different ways.

If you or anyone claim that Yakupov has been given the best opportunity to succeed as a Blue it doesn't hold water. For example if you put Shattenkirk with the #1 RHD assignments every night it won't take long to see what a defensive liability he can be. The point is Shattenkirk is put in a position to succeed. He's put against less skilled opponents and given a ton of PP time which is what he excels at (makes him valuable).

For the most part Yak has had to play with Berglund as his C. He plays a few games and sits a few games. There has been no consistency with his line mates other than Berglund (ouch). He needs a play making center. Everyone knew that before he played his 1st game here. He needs time on the PP because of his shot. That's an area he can be effective at.

There is simply no arguing that he hasn't been put in the best circumstance with the Blues to succeed.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
For a team that isn't blessed with top offensive talent, other than Tarasenko, I thing you stick with Yakupov and play him.

I know the arguments against him. Is isn't like he is a raw rookie, he has been in the league quite a while. He should understand positional play by now and be a much better player than he is.

But if there is one chance in ten that he finally gets it, and becomes a star, its worth it for us to put him in the lineup and endure his mistakes.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Stats are a funny thing because they can be used in different ways.

If you or anyone claim that Yakupov has been given the best opportunity to succeed as a Blue it doesn't hold water. For example if you put Shattenkirk with the #1 RHD assignments every night it won't take long to see what a defensive liability he can be. The point is Shattenkirk is put in a position to succeed. He's put against less skilled opponents and given a ton of PP time which is what he excels at (makes him valuable).

For the most part Yak has had to play with Berglund as his C. He plays a few games and sits a few games. There has been no consistency with his line mates other than Berglund (ouch). He needs a play making center. Everyone knew that before he played his 1st game here. He needs time on the PP because of his shot. That's an area he can be effective at.

There is simply no arguing that he hasn't been put in the best circumstance with the Blues to succeed.

Truth = Spoken :nod:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
For a team that isn't blessed with top offensive talent, other than Tarasenko, I thing you stick with Yakupov and play him.

I know the arguments against him. Is isn't like he is a raw rookie, he has been in the league quite a while. He should understand positional play by now and be a much better player than he is.

But if there is one chance in ten that he finally gets it, and becomes a star, its worth it for us to put him in the lineup and endure his mistakes.

I take it by "other than Tarasenko" you actually mean other than Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri and Steen.

Our offensive problems are a lack of talent at centre and a lack of balance. Admittedly, a RW would help with the latter, but we don't even need him to be a top-6 RW.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I take it by "other than Tarasenko" you actually mean other than Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri and Steen.

Our offensive problems are a lack of talent at centre and a lack of balance. Admittedly, a RW would help with the latter, but we don't even need him to be a top-6 RW.

I don't consider Fabbri, Schwartz and Steen to be top talents. All three are very good, but Tarasenko is in a higher category.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't consider Fabbri, Schwartz and Steen to be top talents. All three are very good, but Tarasenko is in a higher category.

Okay, so you are talking about elite. Fair enough.

That is a million miles removed from a conversation about Yakupov. He very obviously doesn't read the game well enough to ever be elite, and that isn't something that is suddenly going to appear after so many years of playing.

Yakupov doesn't have the upside to be as good as Schwartz, Steen or Fabbri.

Everyone needs to watch players like Hunt and Megan. AHL'ers can make really nice plays in the NHL from time-to-time, it's the rest of the stuff that is why they are in the AHL. Yet when Yakupov makes a nice play then it is a sign of promise?

As for not playing further up the lineup, that isn't stopping him getting puck on goal, finding open ice, taking up solid positions without the puck, etc. Show those signs and I'll be on board with Yakupov getting an increased role. Showing a little hustle isn't enough.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Okay, so you are talking about elite. Fair enough.

That is a million miles removed from a conversation about Yakupov. He very obviously doesn't read the game well enough to ever be elite, and that isn't something that is suddenly going to appear after so many years of playing.

Yakupov doesn't have the upside to be as good as Schwartz, Steen or Fabbri.

Everyone needs to watch players like Hunt and Megan. AHL'ers can make really nice plays in the NHL from time-to-time, it's the rest of the stuff that is why they are in the AHL. Yet when Yakupov makes a nice play then it is a sign of promise?

As for not playing further up the lineup, that isn't stopping him getting puck on goal, finding open ice, taking up solid positions without the puck, etc. Show those signs and I'll be on board with Yakupov getting an increased role. Showing a little hustle isn't enough.

He has Tremendous talent and skills you can't teach. He was considered the level of Stamkos prior to the draft. Hunt and Megan don't have those skills, and they can't be taught. Watch his junior highlights. He was ****ing sick!

The counter point we are attempting to make is, you have a guy who has tremendous talent, was once seen as a future premiere talent. That talent didn't leave.

Previous busts with such elite talent generally lacked the passion (Daigle) or work eithic (Brendl & Filatov). He lacks neither.

My take, and I assume the other 3 who don't want to assume we know what we have yet, and don't want to close our minds to the opportunity is...

Here is a player with tremendous talent, who needs to 1) Play with talented, experienced scoring line players 2) Play with them for several games in a row in order to grow comfortable 3) Not have to worry about making one mistake, basically getting a several game try out in order to build confidence and momentum 4) Get Powerplay time to utilize his strengths (particularly for me, his one timer).

Until these 4 things happen, for atleast a couple weeks in a row, we can't honestly say he "doesn't have it".

That would be like buying a candy bar when you've never tried it before in your life (because its normally expensive but on sale), only allowing it to touch the bitter part of your tongue, the back of the tongue. Then saying the candy bar is no good, without ever even allowing it to touch the sweet sensitive regions of the tongue. Wouldnt make sense.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
He has Tremendous talent and skills you can't teach. He was considered the level of Stamkos prior to the draft. Hunt and Megan don't have those skills, and they can't be taught. Watch his junior highlights. He was ****ing sick!

The counter point we are attempting to make is, you have a guy who has tremendous talent, was once seen as a future premiere talent. That talent didn't leave.

Previous busts with such elite talent generally lacked the passion (Daigle) or work eithic (Brendl & Filatov). He lacks neither.

My take, and I assume the other 3 who don't want to assume we know what we have yet, and don't want to close our minds to the opportunity is...

Here is a player with tremendous talent, who needs to 1) Play with talented, experienced scoring line players 2) Play with them for several games in a row in order to grow comfortable 3) Not have to worry about making one mistake, basically getting a several game try out in order to build confidence and momentum 4) Get Powerplay time to utilize his strengths (particularly for me, his one timer).

Until these 4 things happen, for atleast a couple weeks in a row, we can't honestly say he "doesn't have it".

That would be like buying a candy bar when you've never tried it before in your life (because its normally expensive but on sale), only allowing it to touch the bitter part of your tongue, the back of the tongue. Then saying the candy bar is no good, without ever even allowing it to touch the sweet sensitive regions of the tongue. Wouldnt make sense.

There is no "bitter" part of your tongue.

http://www.livescience.com/7113-tongue-map-tasteless-myth-debunked.html

Yak's junior highlights are so sick because of his physical tools. He never needed anything else. Now when you're playing against the top .00000001% of hockey players, having just the tools doesn't cut it.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

You should write a book of metaphors. lol

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

You can say he has tremendous talent and skills you can't teach, but that doesn't make it true. He absolutely isn't showing it in the NHL, and if he is that tremendous then he wouldn't be relying on his linemates to show it off. Schwartz showed it off on the fourth line.

Read this article on the 2012 draft. It isn't revisionist to say it was seen as a very poor draft year, it was all getting said pre-draft.

Scouts weren't in love with him at the time; some seen him as the best of what was there, but certainly not a sure thing. He was absolutely not seen as an elite talent.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
There is no "bitter" part of your tongue.

http://www.livescience.com/7113-tongue-map-tasteless-myth-debunked.html

Yak's junior highlights are so sick because of his physical tools. He never needed anything else. Now when you're playing against the top .00000001% of hockey players, having just the tools doesn't cut it.

I knew someone would be a smart ass and reply with that. I guess you are that guy.

BTW, just because there is a source saying something is so, doesn't mean they are correct. Don't believe me? Try for your self.

Source: Training at STL Bread Co when I worked there in High School. They have you take a piece of sour dough bread, move it to different regions of your tongue, and experience sour and sweet in different places on your tongue.

"scientific studies" are simply tests set up, in order to prove or disprove a theory. Depending on how they structure it, they can prove or disprove many things. Then, other studies can come along and disprove them.

There is a billion dollar supplement industry based on bs studies. Many food studies are BS as well.

Last edited:

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
You can say he has tremendous talent and skills you can't teach, but that doesn't make it true. He absolutely isn't showing it in the NHL, and if he is that tremendous then he wouldn't be relying on his linemates to show it off. Schwartz showed it off on the fourth line.

Read this article on the 2012 draft. It isn't revisionist to say it was seen as a very poor draft year, it was all getting said pre-draft.

Scouts weren't in love with him at the time; some seen him as the best of what was there, but certainly not a sure thing. He was absolutely not seen as an elite talent.

I hear what you're trying to say. And it's possible you will be proven right. But you still can't say it's a sure thing. That Thats one article. I could also post a dozen stating the opposite.

Not sure what you mean by he hasn't showed talent in the NHL. Sure, he hasn't performed. But it's not like he scored 0 goals in the NHL. Examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=domd3DS81Ws&t=1s My takeaway from this vide and his early goals with the Blues so far... Dude has fast and accurate hands around the net and could pot goals with a good setup man (and chemistry with said setupman).

I also hear what you are saying about Schwartz performing on the 4th line. But they are 2 completely different types of players. Schwartz strengths/weaknesses work in that role. Yakupov's do not.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

He lacks hockey intelligence which is probably the most critical capability a player needs in the NHL. Talent means nothing if you don't know how to use it. He doesn't know how to use it.

The fact that he thinks he is playing well despite getting benched for not playing well is a huge red flag. He isn't getting pulled for making one mistake. He is getting pulled for making multiple mistakes every shift. He can't be afraid of one mistake costing him time because all he does is make them constantly. His goal every game should be to have a handful of shifts each game where he makes decent plays. That would be a massive improvement and I hope he starts making some improvements.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad