Speculation: Yakupov - rest of this season

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
I havent gotten any games in a month. But if he still hasnt had what I describe below, then I don't see how anyone can even say he's been given a fair shot.

That would be like buying a Pomerainian and attempting to use it as a home defense dog, then claiming the dog is not a good dog when he doesnt intimidate an intruder. But, if you utilized the dog's strengths using it as a lap dog for the family, you might find that it's a great dog.

I think we need to see him play on a scoring line for one. Next, need him to play more than 10 minutes. And beyond that, give him 4-5 games of playing with Schwartz and Stas, 12-15 minutes a game. Play on 2nd powerplay unit. Commit to giving him the opportunity for a couple of weeks straight. Despite any mistakes he might make. Let him know we have his back, he can go out there and do what he does best and won't get stuck in the press box for making one mistake.

From there, he can build up his confidence and have a chance to get hot and start scoring goals.

His confidence is in the (bleep). He's a very emotional guy, a passionate guy. People like that (myself included) are streaky in life, but when they are moving in the right direction, things are going right, they can be dominant at whatever they do best.

Without commiting to Yak to let him build up his confidence in the way I described above, I don't forsee him breaking out with any NHL club.

That said, that is also asking a lot. Risking 4-5 games that are critical to a team in the playoff race.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yakupov got a shot with Schwartz/Stastny for a few games. While he did make some solid plays in the offensive zone when he had the puck, he provided zero support to his linemates as they were engaged in board battles. I lost count of how many times i would watch that line and think to myself, "what is Yakupov doing over there?"

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yakupov got a shot with Schwartz/Stastny for a few games. While he did make some solid plays in the offensive zone when he had the puck, he provided zero support to his linemates as they were engaged in board battles. I lost count of how many times i would watch that line and think to myself, "what is Yakupov doing over there?"

I could definitely tell that Schwartz was getting frustrated with it.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Damn. I guess he's had his chance then if he had a few games with them.

I don't see him breaking out with Berglund, so maybe he won't be more than he is now.

At the beginning of the season, he showed some real potential in flashes.

'Member when he was leading the poll of players that sucked least every game? I member.:amazed:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I've watched Yak specifically for a while while sitting down at the arena. A few things that strike me about his game.

1) His hockey sense isn't that good. He really has to think about what he is supposed to be doing and is very tentative to do it. I figure that his speed had always made him look much better growing up, but at the NHL level, there isn't enough difference to make up poor decisions and indecisiveness.

2) He is horrible on his edges. His straight line speed is good, but he always looks like he is on the edge of losing control when he has to cut and react. Many times I've noticed he'd be back on his heels a bit trying to recover from a cut or pivot. He seems to skate a lot more upright than we were taught.

3) His passing skills leave a lot to be desired (although so do a lot of the players lately). I think a lot of that is due to the fact that his overall vision of the ice may be worse and he isn't spotting the open lanes and players quick enough before others close in on him and take away the pass.

4) Even though he has good size, he doesn't win board battles. His strength on his stick seems to be poor for his size and he can easily be pushed off the puck along the half boards.

5) He should use his speed to harass the defensemen on a forecheck, but he always pulls up short and doesn't do a good job on staying on them.

I think that Yak probably will head to the KHL after this year. His style may fit better in a larger rink where he can use his straight line speed to make his game better. I just can't see him being any better than a third line player in the NHL.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Rattie took the warm up tonight, and for a brief moment I thought he would start. I wish he'd get the few starts that Yakupov is getting.
I'd probably have to disagree.

As lost as Yakupov can be his speed and shot can create a scoring chance every now and then.

I haven't seen Rattie do a single thing this year.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia

he had his chance :laugh:

RthmJlD.jpg

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Does that mean I can't overlook Lehtera's first 20 NHL games and he can still be a PPG #1C?

R0Db3UP.gif

Under Hitch guys like Rattie, Yakupov aren't gonna crack in or ever get real change. Hitch system doesn't support their skill and possible potential. They need to be stud's like Fabbri if they are gonna get change. Our 3rd and 4th line belongs to Hitch's loves and there isn't place for skill or speed. Oh wait I forgot Pääjärvi.

Last edited:

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Does that mean I can't overlook Lehtera's first 20 NHL games and he can still be a PPG #1C?

You're taking my point out of context. It was in response to whether we can completely write off Yakupov as useless or not.

I think that is a perfect example of how fickle we fans can sometimes be. Take a look at the threads (especially on stltoday forum, not as much here) after a great win and after a terrible loss, and you will see opions move from one extreme to the other.

Lehtera has had what, 2 or 3 full seasons now playing with 2 talented (one truly elite) winger. That is ample time to see what you've got.

Yakupov had brilliant flashes at the beginning of the season offensively with minimal ice time. He also made several solid defensive plays.

Then the Blues as a whole played like absolute ******* for 2 or 3 weeks. Then they replaced Yak with Jaskin to bring size into the lineup.

I haven't watched any games for a month or so (been super busy creating a new product), but prior to that, from what I saw, Yak is yet to receive an honest chance of building him up as a goal scorer.

Confidence is everything in sports. Being in the flow state and not thinking can make the difference of looking like you are lost out there and dominating. Especially for someone who is as passionate/emotional as Yakupov.

I was optimistic at the beginning of the season, now I feel like this is a worse situation for his development than Edmonton was.

Reason being, he isn't important enough to this team to give him the minutes and linemates he needs to build said confidence. And without that confidence, I don't think he has a chance to break out.

It's not like he is a lazy player like most russians that fizzle out. He has the skills and, reportedly, the work ethic, but I think he really has been dealt awful cards thus far. Especially for someone with his mindset.

That said, I think if he can get going, gain the confidence, stop thinking and be in the moment. Then he can turn it around and be a 30 goal scorer. The complaints I have heard about him on here (from those doing hockey skill analysis) reminds me of what I read about Jeff Skinner here in the past.

But, I doubt he will receive the opportunity. Part of me feels he could go to the KHL, light it up, and be sought after in the NHL after a couple years. Stories then would talk about how he turned it all around. When the reality would be, he just wasnt put in a position to emphasize his strengths.

Just my observations so far.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
You're taking my point out of context. It was in response to whether we can completely write off Yakupov as useless or not.

I think that is a perfect example of how fickle we fans can sometimes be. Take a look at the threads (especially on stltoday forum, not as much here) after a great win and after a terrible loss, and you will see opions move from one extreme to the other.

Lehtera has had what, 2 or 3 full seasons now playing with 2 talented (one truly elite) winger. That is ample time to see what you've got.

Yakupov had brilliant flashes at the beginning of the season offensively with minimal ice time. He also made several solid defensive plays.

Then the Blues as a whole played like absolute ******* for 2 or 3 weeks. Then they replaced Yak with Jaskin to bring size into the lineup.

I haven't watched any games for a month or so (been super busy creating a new product), but prior to that, from what I saw, Yak is yet to receive an honest chance of building him up as a goal scorer.

Confidence is everything in sports. Being in the flow state and not thinking can make the difference of looking like you are lost out there and dominating. Especially for someone who is as passionate/emotional as Yakupov.

I was optimistic at the beginning of the season, now I feel like this is a worse situation for his development than Edmonton was.

Reason being, he isn't important enough to this team to give him the minutes and linemates he needs to build said confidence. And without that confidence, I don't think he has a chance to break out.

It's not like he is a lazy player like most russians that fizzle out. He has the skills and, reportedly, the work ethic, but I think he really has been dealt awful cards thus far. Especially for someone with his mindset.

That said, I think if he can get going, gain the confidence, stop thinking and be in the moment. Then he can turn it around and be a 30 goal scorer. The complaints I have heard about him on here (from those doing hockey skill analysis) reminds me of what I read about Jeff Skinner here in the past.

But, I doubt he will receive the opportunity. Part of me feels he could go to the KHL, light it up, and be sought after in the NHL after a couple years. Stories then would talk about how he turned it all around. When the reality would be, he just wasnt put in a position to emphasize his strengths.

Just my observations so far.
I actually agree with you here, I just don't think the Blues can afford to be that patient with Yak. He needs to be on a rebuilding team to get the ice time and line-mates he needs. It is imperative for a small/mid market team like the Blues to make the playoffs, we need the revenue. I think Yak could be a good player, but it will take a lot of time and patience. I'm not sure the Blues are in a position to provide that.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'd probably have to disagree.

As lost as Yakupov can be his speed and shot can create a scoring chance every now and then.

I don't feel strongly about it, but I do think at least that Rattie may have a ceiling higher than what we have seen, whereas I have seen no indication of any growth or improvement in Yakupov's game. But Jaskin pretty easily beats both guys and he is underachieving.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm not sure where the legend of 'brilliant flashes' from Yakupov came from. I remember being blown away by his speed and appreciating his hustle. But once the trade adrenaline wore off, I see a guy that reminds me too much of Chris Stewart. The offensive possession ends when he's on the ice. Can't play the game with his line mates on the boards. Unless he is on the rush, he is not contributing to generating scoring chances.

I'm not even critical of Yakupovs defense. I think it's adequate to the role he could be filling. Except that he is an offensive negative. I'd love to see him starting to find some chemistry on a line, or being the shooter on a line. Maybe it's a reflection of the marginal center position on the team, but there are no 2 guys you can put him with without really hurting the top 6 in time of possession. It's too detrimental to a team that is already all too fragile.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yakupov's problems aren't even his defense. A winger can play passable defense by just trying and hustling and he does that. The coaches do the next part by sheltering him. He'll rarely be in a situation defensively where he'll need to be like a Steen or Schwartz.

The problem is on offense. Sure, he'll always have his few bursts of speed that lead to a goal or scoring chance. The problem is they are very few and far between, just like Stewart was here. Plays die on his stick, he gets in the way of his teammates on the cycle, he doesn't get his shot on goal or even attempted, and doesn't have the vision or patience to find a pass to his teammates, and he doesn't have the hockey sense to find the soft spots and wait for an opportunity.

He's a faster, less physical version of Chris Stewart.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
No offense to anyone here but I don't get how anyone here could really think they have a good understanding of Yakupov's play or who he is or where he belongs... etc. only seeing minimal minutes on the 3rd or 4th line. He actually got some shifts with Stastny and *gasp* he scored a goal! It was chinsey, but it was a goal.

The guy can score goals. I personally would love to see him get top / 2nd line minutes with Stastny / Steen / Tarasenko or Schwartz next to him for about 3 solid games in a row before I would even attempt to say who I think he is on this team.

Hitch has it out for him for some reason. Like someone else said though, he does create offense. Which is something this team really needs. We have plenty of "200 ft" guys. Not everyone has to be a 200 ft guy do they?

I can feel my hate for Hitch growing so before I break into a rant I will stop there.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If you believe that after watching him play with Stastny and Schwartz that his play will lead to sustained production and using his fluky goal as a reason for sustained production, then I don't know what to say. You must be really convincing yourself that he will turn into something. It's not too difficult to see that he doesn't offer many benefits when he is on the ice.

I'm still mind-boggled at the notion that he creates offense. He only creates offense relative to guys like Rattie who create 0 offense. The 4th line creates more offense than Yak.

He's a mix of Stewart and D'Agostini IMO. If you take away the fact that he was a #1 overall pick, people would stop acting like he has all this untapped potential.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
If you believe that after watching him play with Stastny and Schwartz that his play will lead to sustained production and using his fluky goal as a reason for sustained production, then I don't know what to say. You must be really convincing yourself that he will turn into something. It's not too difficult to see that he doesn't offer many benefits when he is on the ice.

I'm still mind-boggled at the notion that he creates offense. He only creates offense relative to guys like Rattie who create 0 offense. The 4th line creates more offense than Yak.

He's a mix of Stewart and D'Agostini IMO. If you take away the fact that he was a #1 overall pick, people would stop acting like he has all this untapped potential.

That is not even close to what I said. I never said I believed anything like that. I said nobody really knows what he is capable of on this team because of how little we have seen of him. I have not made any judgment on what I think of him. Why are you assuming I think he is good or "turn into something"?

What surprises me is how quick people are rushing to judge him. He might be what you guys are saying, he might be an asset to this team. I just don't think anyone could really have a good idea with seeing so little of him. The only opinion I had was that he has shown offensive ability which is something this team needs.

They guy can score and he is good at offense from what we have seen in the past. I just think we need a bigger, better sample size before we write him off like you already have. I am willing to give him a real, honest chance to see who he is. Not just a few minutes every 3rd game with scrub line-mates and start making claims that he is terrible.

He actually is near top of the team in points per minute and his shooting % is at 17.6. That's pretty awesome. But also because he plays so little. It just shows when he does play, he DOES create offense. The 4th line is not THAT good. How you don't see that is beyond me. Rose colored glasses?

Also, please stop putting words in my mouth.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They guy can score and he is good at offense from what we have seen in the past. I just think we need a bigger, better sample size before we write him off like you already have. I am willing to give him a real, honest chance to see who he is. Not just a few minutes every 3rd game with scrub line-mates and start making claims that he is terrible.

He actually is near top of the team in points per minute and his shooting % is at 17.6. That's pretty awesome. But also because he plays so little. It just shows when he does play, he DOES create offense. The 4th line is not THAT good. How you don't see that is beyond me. Rose colored glasses?

Also, please stop putting words in my mouth.

He's never played with scrub linemates when he's been here. He didn't have to start on the 4th line like Schwartz did to begin his career. From his past? His only productive parts of his past were unsustainable stretches from his rookie season and a short stretch with McDavid where he only picked up assists, not goals. I wouldn't consider what he did with Edmonton to be great evidence of him improving and being productive. Just look at what the majority of Edmonton fans had to say about him.

Those stats are unreliable with the limited mintues and offensive oriented minutes that he receives. They are not much different from Rattie's numbers including this season and last.

What rose colored glasses? Not sure what you are implying there. I've seen Yakupov with my own eyes from Edmonton and here, and our coaching staff has seen him plenty. I hope I'm wrong and Yakupov develops into a great player, but he hasn't shown much on the ice to prove that he can develop into a better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad