Speculation: Yakupov - rest of this season

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Alright, let me ask you this, since this is essentially your premise, what coach/player combo has had a player significantly increase their production because of a certain offensive system or great coach/player development?

Yakupov, Stewart, etc. are seriously flawed hockey players. They haven't been productive in most places, their issues aren't with Hitch.

Do you really think a coach will magically increase production in players? Do you think that Hitch and Shaw were able to magically make the defensive players better on the defensive side? You don't teach offense, those are skills that have to be developed or concepts that have to be understood.

Absolutely. Yak was obviously not coached and is 'damaged' in that aspect. His plus sides, however, make it worth creating a position for him that would benefit the team and coaching him into that position. He's fast, he has a solid shot and he can dodge and duck with the best of them. Coaching should look at that and determine what positive he brings to the team and coaching him to that positive. In my mind Yak is a 3rd liner who, if certain skills were taught into him, could possibly make him an emergency 2nd line player. The problem with all of this is...

The offensive strategy of this team is stuck doing outdated things that don't translate into today's NHL.

It doesn't help that Hitchcock can't put together and stick with a winning lineup to save his soul, either. This is two separate problems, but it does affect Yak and his coaching. I'm not a blind Yak fan and this point can be put onto other players as well; Jaskin, etc.

I don't agree that Yak = Stewart on his best day. Nail was a top draft pick and had the workings of a sound career in the NHL. The Oilers drafted him and threw him on the ice, obviously unready for the task at hand and he didn't do well. That does happen when you derail a prospect's development.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yakupov's strengths are only suited for rush based offense. That is not a suitable offensive strategy. If your strategy is to simply score off the rush, you will have a terrible offense. Just look at Edmonton and Toronto when they sucked.

Again, point to some scenarios where a coach or a system magically made a player significantly increase their production, whether on offense or defense. A coach just doesn't have that type of impact.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If I would give praise to any coach on the Blues staff for teaching offense and who should have been the one to get the reins of the team, it would have to be to Kirk Muller, not Hitch. Hitch on Offense only works when he gets players with a complete toolbox or has that and is talented: Tank, Fabbri, Shatt come to mind. It's a wonder that he isn't being Hitch-like and not ignoring Rookies or players with lesser tender as he's done so in the past. Hell, we jumped the gun, let Muller go and hired Yeo.

Blues do not have an offense-minded coach (Which is different than having a coach that is supposed to coach Offense) in their circle anymore. It's not a wonder with that compounded by Hitch's D-first system equates to near-league low numbers in Offense.

Blues are 12th in the league in GF despite the fact that they were in a slump for a 7-8 game stretch. Muller joined the team starting with the 2014-2015 season. Here are the Blues position in the league in GF prior to when he joined and after:

2013-2014 - 7th
2014-2015 - 5th
2015-2016 - 15th
2016-2017 - 12th currently

Not seeing anything that suggests Muller was some mastermind for the Blues offense. The Blues actually got worse in his second year, and are currently in a better position this year than last year.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It's a silly premise to argue that the 4th-winningest coach in NHL History, and Stanley Cup champion can't coach offense. Guys who are viewed as inept in any one area, tend to have limited success and a short track-record...not given prominent roles in International competition and multiple job-offers across the NHL over many decades.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
Jaskin has actually been playing well lately. Yakupov has hardly been noticeable whenever he's in the lineup. Both players have played with the same linemates throughout the year and it's clear that Jaskin has been a better fit for the team.

What has jaskin done? Take up mins that steen has left by scoring a big goose egg while being on the 2nd PP uni at times. Trust me I'm all for him to do well but he hasn't done anything special in my opinion. We say we wanna get faster and he's as slow as they come. Like I stated he's a safety net for hitch since backes and Brouwer are gone

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
What has jaskin done? Take up mins that steen has left by scoring a big goose egg while being on the 2nd PP uni at times. Trust me I'm all for him to do well but he hasn't done anything special in my opinion. We say we wanna get faster and he's as slow as they come. Like I stated he's a safety net for hitch since backes and Brouwer are gone

Jaskin's been strong in the offensive zone, namely along the boards and on the cycle. Unlike Yakupov, he knows how to position himself to aid his linemates. He hasn't scored, but he's been noticeable in a good way. I've been harsh on Jaskin in the past but his play as of late doesn't warrant him to be benched in favor of Yakupov.

Let's put it this way, I'd rather have a slower Jaskin who knows where to be on the ice over a fast Yakupov who is mispositioned basically every moment he's on the ice. You mention that putting Yakupov with Steen/Berglund will mask his defensive liabilities. I don't personally see it that way. I think it'll only amplify the issue since Steen/Berglund will be forced to cover for Yakupov and thus end up putting them out of position.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Jaskin's been strong in the offensive zone, namely along the boards and on the cycle. Unlike Yakupov, he knows how to position himself to aid his linemates. He hasn't scored, but he's been noticeable in a good way. I've been harsh on Jaskin in the past but his play as of late doesn't warrant him to be benched in favor of Yakupov.

Let's put it this way, I'd rather have a slower Jaskin who knows where to be on the ice over a fast Yakupov who is mispositioned basically every moment he's on the ice. You mention that putting Yakupov with Steen/Berglund will mask his defensive liabilities. I don't personally see it that way. I think it'll only amplify the issue since Steen/Berglund will be forced to cover for Yakupov and thus end up putting them out of position.

Jaskin takes a lot of flak, some deservedly so, for his lack of points and occasional glaring defensive miscues in the past. However, on the whole, he is a very good possession player. This is very valuable skill, even when it doesn't lead to points. He is strong on the boards, so he can keep the puck in the offensive zone longer than it otherwise would be. He is decent on the forecehck creating turnovers, or at least confusion. He is decent defensively when his foot speed doesn't hurt him. This usually means the other team isn't scoring (and is probably tiring themselves out fighting him).

There is a reason he is tied for first on the team in +/- and 4th in CF% (5v5). Plus/minus isn't a great statistic, but it can be useful in comparing players across the same team. There are only 4 Blues that are pluses. Jaskin is tied with Schwartz at a +5. This is because he helps generate chances (True, they don't often go in) but also minimizes the other teams chances. Add to the fact that he is starting to use his size to hit, and cause traffic up front, and he becomes more valuable. Even if he's not scoring, he can be a distraction standing in front of the net(e.g. game winning goal against the Wild)

Final point, its not just a cliché that power forwards take longer to develop than other positions. They have to grow into their bodies, get their strength up to NHL level, and learn to use it against much better competition. Jaskin has shown flashes of scoring ability. He just hasn't put it all together. Maybe he never will. But he plays a nice complementary game to either the 4th line or a #3 possession line with Berglund. There is no reason to abandon him when he is contributing just because he isn't scoring, especially when he still has some upside. When he comes off the ice, we are more often than not in a better or neutral position to where we were when he stepped on. That is all you can ask for from a guy making $1M. He's doing what Berglund does, only for much less.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Jaskin is a slightly or more than slightly worse version of Berglund. He's a very safe player, and fans undervalue the benefit of having a strong possession player on the ice. Jaskin is great at keeping possession in the offensive zone, and while he might not turn it into positives, it does allow for more time for his linemates to make something out of it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Jaskin is a slightly or more than slightly worse version of Berglund. He's a very safe player, and fans undervalue the benefit of having a strong possession player on the ice. Jaskin is great at keeping possession in the offensive zone, and while he might not turn it into positives, it does allow for more time for his linemates to make something out of it.

I would agree with you that Jaskin is more than slightly worse than Berglund from previous years. But this year, do you see a noticeable difference in their play? Berglund only has 1 more point with worse defense/possession statistics and more games/icetime. From the eye test, they seem to be offering the same thing this season. I think Berglund is snake-bit and his numbers don't totally reflect his play. Still, I am not liking the types of chances he is generating. I am, for the most part, liking his possession game. I think Jaskin is actual offering more dynamic offensive chances. If we weren't so thin at center, I'd almost recommend scratching Berglund over Jaskin based on play over the last several games. But with Yakupov there, there is no reason to scratch either.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I would agree with you that Jaskin is more than slightly worse than Berglund from previous years. But this year, do you see a noticeable difference in their play? Berglund only has 1 more point with worse defense/possession statistics and more games/icetime. From the eye test, they seem to be offering the same thing this season. I think Berglund is snake-bit and his numbers don't totally reflect his play. Still, I am not liking the types of chances he is generating. I am, for the most part, liking his possession game. I think Jaskin is actual offering more dynamic offensive chances. If we weren't so thin at center, I'd almost recommend scratching Berglund over Jaskin based on play over the last several games. But with Yakupov there, there is no reason to scratch either.

Berglund definitely isn't where he should be from a chance generating standpoint or a production standpoint, but that'll improve in time. He's going to improve on 2.9% shooting%.

I don't really like Jaskin at center, maybe he'll get there eventually, but I view him as just an emergency option for 3rd line center.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I picked more points than scratches, but it is largely due to my assumption that injuries are always around the corner as a Blues fan. I think he will remain our 13th forward through most the season (I don't see Rattie leap frogging him for more than the occasional night). I assume that this team will have someone injured on most nights, so I'd guess he will be in the lineup often.

I think he gets to 20 points if he plays 60 games (he's just under that pace now and I wouldn't be surprised if he has 2-3 two point nights to keep that pace up). The pessimist in me thinks there is no way this team stays healthy enough that he doesn't get in to 44 of our remaining 60 games. Just to compare with last year, Jaskin was our 14th forward when completely healthy and he got 65 games last year. A lot of that is due to Ott only playing 20 games, but even excluding Ott, he was the 13th guy (none of this math counts Gomez). PRV got 48 games and he was generally behind Jaskin in the depth chart. I don't think injuries will get as bad as they were last year, but we could stay much healthier and still have our true 13th forward play 60+ games.

Someone is going to get a 6+ week injury, and Yak will likely play 90% of those games. He'll play every night if that injury coincides with any minor injuries.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I know Yak isn't doing himself any favours, but I feel like the blame can rest on Eakins. The only thing that Eakins accomplished was killing thr development of our players and destroying the confidence of those who needed proper nurturing... such an *******

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
So we're officially past all that early season talk about PP time and 40-50 point potential then, right? :laugh:

I see this as mostly being about how healthy the Blues forwards can stay this year, coupled with speculation on whether or not the Blues acquire another winger in a trade.

The former is impossible to predict, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they do the latter.

I'll go with healthy scratches.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Under the assumption that Yakupov continues to do what he is doing and doesn't show much improvement on his game, would you simple let him walk or would you bring him back for less?

I think I'd just let him go and move on from the experiment.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Maybe we can deal him to the Islanders for Ryan Strome. Just keep cycling through reclamation projects until we hit the jackpot.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Under the assumption that Yakupov continues to do what he is doing and doesn't show much improvement on his game, would you simple let him walk or would you bring him back for less?

Looking ahead, there's no point in paying a guy you're going to regularly healthy scratch anything more than the league minimum.

With that in mind, if they still see him as healthy scratch material by the deadline, they should just flip him for whatever they can get. They aren't going to want to play down the stretch and in the playoffs, so clear the cap space for someone they might actually use.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

This is sort of a loaded question. If he shows absolutely zero improvement, and he is currently the 14th forward on the depth chart, there really is no reason to bring him back at anything close to what he is making. The reality will likely be he will show flashes of potential and improvement, making it not quite so clear cut.

I am wondering how much coaching Yak is getting? Have the coaches written him off? If he is in Hitch's dog house and not getting any guidance, I don't care how little he improves. I'd want to bring him back under whoever the next coach is. If the coaches are giving him lots of special attention and guidance, yet he shows zero improvement, cut him loose.

I wonder how involved Steve Thomas is. I don't really know what his role is with us. He was the player development consultant/coach for Tampa Bay's prospects for 6 years. Some very good young forwards without super high draft pedigrees developed in that time. I'm not sure how much he had to do, if anything, with Kucherov, Johnson, Palat and Drouin. Maybe nothing. Still, it couldn't hurt to give him some 1-on-1 coaching time with Yak. The thing that was most troubling was when Yak said its not school and he doesn't need to be constantly learning. Someone needs to explain that lack of learning is keeping him in the press box. Maybe a successful former-nhl winger like Thomas can get through to him.

Ranfordrocks

Feb 16, 2007
i knew he was gonna suck with you guys..wouldnt be suprised if gets put on waivers 1st overall flop atleast we got 3rd pick for him.would anyone claim him if he was on waivers dunno

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The gap is getting sizeable, and perhaps too large to overcome already:

Team Games: 30
Games Played: 18
Healthy Scratches: 12

Another Edmonton castoff, Brad Hunt, has 3 points in 3 games though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00