Speculation: Yakupov - rest of this season

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Inspired by the Polls board.

What does Nail Yakupov have more of for this season...Points or Healthy Scratches?

Currently though 21 games, he has 5 of each.

Granted he might not even finish the year with the Blues...but in his remaining time with the club, which would you bet on if you had to wager something pretty significant? Regardless, barring something drastic and unforeseen taking place, the Blues 2nd rounder appears to be safe.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Through 38 team games:

Games Played: 21
Healthy Scratches: 16
Unhealthy Scratches: 1

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Unless we have a very Bluesy amount of injuries...hes going to be scratched alot. I haven't heard hitch blatently "condemn" a player like he has.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Still think it will be points. Blues and injuries go together like peanut butter and jelly.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I voted points. Someone is going to get injured and we're going to need him.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
Scratches. Nail has no idea what to do when he's not in possession of the puck.

That's true but let's be honest 91 isn't the greatest without the puck in the d-zone either (however he scores 40 goals). I will say I find it a joke that 23 is the cat with 9 lives and playing 13 mins a night at times with a big goose egg. Yak in awful amounts of playing time, playing with Berglund/Jaskin/4th line and 0 PP time has 2 goals.

Rattie and jaskin have done nothing. Hitch is just in his safety net when he has big lug like jaskin taking up time in the corners. Let's be honest Yak is faster than anyone on this team and if he were to play with say steen and Berglund or Lehtera and Tarasenko his defensive liabilities won't be as noticeable. Guy isn't going to get better in the press box. Hitch did the same crap to tarasenko in his first year dressing him for 1 game in playoffs on the 4th line. At this point doesn't look like hitch's fetish for jaskin will wear off. Jaskin is slow, terrible shot which I have never seen him actually score on a clean shot in his career. Not surprised this has happened with hitch. Can only hope Yak stays for Yeo because he has given players that haven't exactly lived up to hype like granlund more chances than Hitch would have.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yakupov creates a real dilemma for the Blues.

You see his speed and elusiveness, and his shot, and you think - surely this guy can be an outstanding offensive player.

But you see him look lost out there, miss assignment, make bad decisions, and you think - he can only get ice time with a really bad team, where he can learn his job. But playing on a bad team has already happened! It happened with Edmonton. And he apparently didn't learn his job.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hitch need to give more videomeetings for Yakupov. Maybe boy can learn. Just start on first 12 hour videomeeting. :laugh:

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
That's true but let's be honest 91 isn't the greatest without the puck in the d-zone either (however he scores 40 goals). I will say I find it a joke that 23 is the cat with 9 lives and playing 13 mins a night at times with a big goose egg. Yak in awful amounts of playing time, playing with Berglund/Jaskin/4th line and 0 PP time has 2 goals.

Rattie and jaskin have done nothing. Hitch is just in his safety net when he has big lug like jaskin taking up time in the corners. Let's be honest Yak is faster than anyone on this team and if he were to play with say steen and Berglund or Lehtera and Tarasenko his defensive liabilities won't be as noticeable. Guy isn't going to get better in the press box. Hitch did the same crap to tarasenko in his first year dressing him for 1 game in playoffs on the 4th line. At this point doesn't look like hitch's fetish for jaskin will wear off. Jaskin is slow, terrible shot which I have never seen him actually score on a clean shot in his career. Not surprised this has happened with hitch. Can only hope Yak stays for Yeo because he has given players that haven't exactly lived up to hype like granlund more chances than Hitch would have.

If it were just in the D zone it wouldn't be as much of an issue. The problem is he's just as clueless without the puck in the offensive and neutral zones. He doesn't know how to be an option consistently.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Stealth, would you mind keeping a running total in the OP, so we can keep up to date on the progress as the season progresses? Should be an interesting outcome.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Jaskin has actually been playing well lately. Yakupov has hardly been noticeable whenever he's in the lineup. Both players have played with the same linemates throughout the year and it's clear that Jaskin has been a better fit for the team.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Yakupov creates a real dilemma for the Blues.

You see his speed and elusiveness, and his shot, and you think - surely this guy can be an outstanding offensive player.

But you see him look lost out there, miss assignment, make bad decisions, and you think - he can only get ice time with a really bad team, where he can learn his job. But playing on a bad team has already happened! It happened with Edmonton. And he apparently didn't learn his job.

That's what happened when you're not coached. Asking a coach like Hitch, or his staff, who knows nothing about offense to coach Yak is roughly the same thing.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
That's what happened when you're not coached. Asking a coach like Hitch, or his staff, who knows nothing about offense to coach Yak is roughly the same thing.

Hitch can't coach offense and yet Tarasenko, Schwartz, Steen, Fabbri, Shattenkirk, etc. have all flourished under him.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Oh? Please elaborate then.

If I would give praise to any coach on the Blues staff for teaching offense and who should have been the one to get the reins of the team, it would have to be to Kirk Muller, not Hitch. Hitch on Offense only works when he gets players with a complete toolbox or has that and is talented: Tank, Fabbri, Shatt come to mind. It's a wonder that he isn't being Hitch-like and not ignoring Rookies or players with lesser tender as he's done so in the past. Hell, we jumped the gun, let Muller go and hired Yeo.

Blues do not have an offense-minded coach (Which is different than having a coach that is supposed to coach Offense) in their circle anymore. It's not a wonder with that compounded by Hitch's D-first system equates to near-league low numbers in Offense.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Alright, let me ask you this, since this is essentially your premise, what coach/player combo has had a player significantly increase their production because of a certain offensive system or great coach/player development?

Yakupov, Stewart, etc. are seriously flawed hockey players. They haven't been productive in most places, their issues aren't with Hitch.

Do you really think a coach will magically increase production in players? Do you think that Hitch and Shaw were able to magically make the defensive players better on the defensive side? You don't teach offense, those are skills that have to be developed or concepts that have to be understood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad