Speculation: Yakopov reminds me about Daigle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No, that's just irresponsible to send a first overall to the AHL. This slump is Eakins responsibility to fix, with Yaks help of course. People are acting as if Yakupov has been playing poorly since the beginning.... It wasn't to long ago, he was second in the league for goals scored that month.

Yakupov has been playing poorly.... defensively. It doesn't matter if you scored a goal if you cause two goals to be given up.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I agree. We need to get rid of crappy players. It can't continue this way all season long or all year long. I am just wondering why we have Guys like Ben Eager and Nick Scultz in the roster. Why Luke Gadzig is on the roster every night. Smyth and Jones:cry:

ummm it seems like the names you mentioned are ahead of the non crappy players when it comes to learning the new system.

N.Schultz, Gazdic, Jones, Smyth and Eager were all decent last night..
The AHLers have been fine too..

Our non crappy players seem to be the issue at the moment. Gagner, Yak, Ebs etc

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
If teams aren't allowed to practise during Olympic break (I have no idea) then he should be sent down then and focus on defence

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
ummm it seems like the names you mentioned are ahead of the non crappy players when it comes to learning the new system.

Gagner gets a pass from for another few weeks. He shouldn't even be back IMO.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield

Decent is not enough. N.Schultz, Gazdic, Jones, Smyth and Eager should perform in their upper end to be in this league

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Decent is not enough. N.Schultz, Gazdic, Jones, Smyth and Eager should perform in their upper end to be in this league

At this point there really isnt a big difference between the upper end and decent for these guys.. N.Schultz has been better than rest on D the last couple games.. No glaring mistakes unlike the others.. Gazdic, Eager Smyth and Jones are doing what they are paid to do and what is expected out of them at this point..

These guys are not making costly mistakes and only keeping the bench warm for Perron\Hall\Joensuu so there is no point picking apart their game.

Eberle was the anchor on top line and Yakupov was floating around on Gagner's line.

aseef26

Mar 20, 2008
Ottawa
Sure why not send him to OKC? It did wonders for everyone else to spend time down there last year. Just look at how they're performing now. I think the results speak for themselves.

Why not just bring Nelson up for a week long consult from OKC? There is about half a team here that deserves to be sent down, may as well fix all of the problems in one shot...

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Not really learning.. more about gaining confidence. He is surrounded by the likes of Hemsky, Eberle, Gagner, Hall, Nuge etc .. Down in OKC he will get prime minutes.. Game will be a little slower..

He will learn the "swarm system" at a slower pace with minimal pressure from fans\media etc..

Fair. Fair. But I just don't see that as a prime developmental strategy for a high caliber player like Yakupov. I mean it's not like his defensive play is a huge liability right now. Every top 6 forward on our team sucks at defense, Yakupov should be allowed time in the NHL to improve.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Why not just bring Nelson up for a week long consult from OKC? There is about half a team here that deserves to be sent down, may as well fix all of the problems in one shot...

Nelson is not the solution, Eakins is a better coach IMO, especially considering they use the same system.

shizan

May 1, 2010
I thought about it from both sides and IMO I say no. Only real benefit I see is the whole confidence thing, something Yakupov for the first time in his life seems to be struggling with him. I don't think tearing it up in the AHL will really benefit a player like him. His whole life he has been the best, probably never cut from a team in his life. Now your going to tell him he's not good enough to play in the NHL. So saying he actually does tear in up for OKC and then gets called back up, he's still going to have those same doubts. Sure I can score in the AHL like I did in junior but can I do it the NHL. I think the only way he comes out of this slump is to do it in the NHL. He has played 70 games in the NHL. Everyone needs to relax and give him time. He's the type of guy who can get hot and be leading the Oilers in goal scoring by the end of the week. You never know he only needs a hat trick to be tied for the team lead in goals.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
The Oilers have way too many injuries to send him down, and won't. I'm against it atm. If they get fully healthy, and he has been a healthy scratch for a few games and someone in OKC can outperform him then yes send him down to send a message.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I have a problem with Sending Yak down.

Eberle and RNH regressed and stagnated their development when they were down there.

The problem with Yak right now, is he's trying to do his junior crap. He's trying to stick handle through a maze of players, and beat defenders with speed down the middle. It's not the kind of thing he can do in the NHL.

The problem is that crap WILL work in OKC, and he'll force those stupid habits when he's called back up.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yakupov to the AHL?

Just no - that is a massive drama bomb waiting to happen, and an admittance that Eakins is utterly clueless with how to connect with and develop the player. Wouldn't even matter if Yakupov accepted the demotion with grace(which I doubt), it'd be national news, an utter gong-show that made the silliness of his 2 game scratching look like a minor bump.

It would virtually guarantee that Yakupov is traded for scraps within 6 months, as your typical Joe Schmo fan who gets all his opinions from the Edmonton Sun will be booing him right out of town.

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
No.

Should the Oilers send their entire management team on a one way flight to Siberia?

YES!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Eberle and RNH regressed and stagnated their development when they were down there.

The problem with Yak right now, is he's trying to do his junior crap. He's trying to stick handle through a maze of players, and beat defenders with speed down the middle. It's not the kind of thing he can do in the NHL.

The problem is that crap WILL work in OKC, and he'll force those stupid habits when he's called back up.

This. Eberle especially picked up so many bad habits down there. Just let Yakupov play through it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Honestly, on a week or two conditioning stint might be good. It's not ideal, but if he can really get some confidence, then its probably worth it long term.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

thats pretty much exactly it. I see no value in having him down there. He's a first overall pick going through a sophomore slump, but the AHL is too easy a league for him. I don't see him becoming a better overall player just from a stint in the minors.

so yeah, **** no

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Sending Yak down to the AHL is a horrible idea, I'd only present it to him as an option during the Olympic break, but it would be 100% his choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad