Speculation: Yakopov reminds me about Daigle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
At the age of 20 Yakupov is eligible to go to OKC. At least this is my understanding. That would be something the Oilers should consider. At least for a short time like 5-15 games maybe till the Olympic break. Omark is back in the big club so maybe this will happen.

Do you think the Oilers should send Yakupov to the AHL to get his confidence back.

Last edited:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Fixed the title so there is no confusion.

And no, imo. Maybe in a few months if he's still playing this poorly, but I expect him to pull out of this funk long before that.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
No, that's just irresponsible to send a first overall to the AHL. This slump is Eakins responsibility to fix, with Yaks help of course. People are acting as if Yakupov has been playing poorly since the beginning.... It wasn't to long ago, he was second in the league for goals scored that month.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Too early to do such a move.. maybe if he continues to struggle for another month or so.

But giving Todd Nelson some time with him could be good. Nelson seems to have done well with many OKC players who've come up.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Fixed the title so there is no confusion.

And no, imo. Maybe in a few months if he's still playing this poorly, but I expect him to pull out of this funk long before that.

Hemsky will be traded prior to trading dead line. After that Yak can take the 2nd line rw spot. I wouldn't use him in the 3rd line and at this point his confidence is not enough for top6 role.

The team has been free fall so far. Losing is not doing good either. I hope and also believe in improvement during the season. When team is healthy and used to new game system and new coaching it will eventually starts winning. Then its time to bring young man back.

I think that I don't have false hope relating to season but I have reasonable faith in improvement in the near future. I think we can be above 0.500 team during the second half of the season.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Yes, yes, yes!

20+ minutes a night and his confidence back. I see no downside to this.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
No, that's just irresponsible to send a first overall to the AHL. This slump is Eakins responsibility to fix, with Yaks help of course. People are acting as if Yakupov has been playing poorly since the beginning.... It wasn't to long ago, he was second in the league for goals scored that month.

I agree partly. MacT is responsible too. Do you think that Eakins should be removed from the coaching position. I would consider give him a second chance namely turn around this club. Eakins might be a keeper if the second half of the season goes well.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Yak has been playing poor defensively since the beginning. So has Eberle and maybe even Hall..
I am up for sending Yak down to play big minutes while learning the new system.

Right now he is not any more effective than a fringe NHL guy like Pitlick. Let him go down get on track and come back up.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Sure why not send him to OKC? It did wonders for everyone else to spend time down there last year. Just look at how they're performing now. I think the results speak for themselves.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Yes. Funny, I was actually thinking about this last night.

Send him down for a few weeks. Let him play some non-pressured hockey and get his confidence back. We'll be fine without him. Then, in a few weeks, bring him back up.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I agree partly. MacT is responsible too. Do you think that Eakins should be removed from the coaching position. I would consider give him a second chance namely turn around this club. Eakins might be a keeper if the second half of the season goes well.

God no. Eakins is not the problem here. I have confidence in his system and it's only been over a month. Plus, we've been through way too many coaches already. Our team needs to stick with a system and I like Eakins.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
God no. Eakins is not the problem here. I have confidence in his system and it's only been over a month. Plus, we've been through way too many coaches already. Our team needs to stick with a system and I like Eakins.

Agreed.

Look at his AHL record. Take it with a grain of salt, but there is proof that his system works, with time.

Anyone who thought this crappy group would learn a system over a training camp is delusional.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Yak has been playing poor defensively since the beginning. So has Eberle and maybe even Hall..
I am up for sending Yak down to play big minutes while learning the new system.

Right now he is not any more effective than a fringe NHL guy like Pitlick. Let him go down get on track and come back up.

I'm not sure how much he would learn down in OKC considering Nelson uses a similar swarm system, not to mention a lower quality of competition.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
This is very interesting as well- from the Oilers blog.

Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins sat Nail Yakupov for the final 9:14 of the third period on Tuesday night as well as in overtime. When asked about it, the head coach said that it didn’t really have anything to do with how Yakupov played. In fact, he liked what he saw from the Russian winger.

“The thought process for me — I think I didn’t play him after the eight-and-a-half minute mark, somewhere around there — we had enough forwards that were playing really well defensively. It wasn’t more about protecting our team, it was about protecting the kid.”

Yakupov was on the ice for the first Panthers goal but certainly couldn’t have been faulted for it. In all, he had two shots on net in 12:47 of ice-time.

“I thought he had done enough well in the game defensively and tried hard enough that I just didn’t want anything to go wrong for him. We had enough guys to cover it off.

“They ended up tying the game there on a broken play but when you give up three chances in the third protecting a lead you’ve done one hell of a job. It was little to do with his play, it was more of, listen, you had a sound game for what we were looking for from you and that was enough.”

Yakupov skated primarily on a line with Sam Gagner and Ryan Smyth. Gagner and Smyth both ended up minus-two as they were out there for the tying goal.

“I didn’t want anything crazy to happen for him to put a negative spin on it. And now, sitting for eight minutes seems to be a negative spin but it wasn’t. I was happy with his game and I just wanted it to end there and protect him.”

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm not sure how much he would learn down in OKC considering Nelson uses a similar swarm system, not to mention a lower quality of competition.

Not really learning.. more about gaining confidence. He is surrounded by the likes of Hemsky, Eberle, Gagner, Hall, Nuge etc .. Down in OKC he will get prime minutes.. Game will be a little slower..

He will learn the "swarm system" at a slower pace with minimal pressure from fans\media etc..

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Anyone who thought this crappy group would learn a system over a training camp is delusional.

I agree. We need to get rid of crappy players. It can't continue this way all season long or all year long. I am just wondering why we have Guys like Ben Eager and Nick Scultz in the roster. Why Luke Gadzig is on the roster every night. Smyth and Jones:cry:

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012

How did my post lead to firing Eakins?

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Yes he should be sent down. Yak needs to gain confidence and has a lot to learn. Currently he is a big minus player and one of the reasons the Oilers are losing as much as they are. It is rare to see a winger contribute so greatly to this many goals against without putting up a ton of points himself. He needs to be in OKC for a little while.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I wouldnt mind it. As long as Yak understand its not a punishment for his play. Itd be critical he understands that this would be a learning experience and not a long term situation.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
No, I would like to him back on a line with uncle jesse when hes back off IR

Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov

or

Joensuu-Arcobello-Yakupov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad