Player Discussion Yak Talk Part III: Trade Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I guess this is the part where I say 'I told you so' back when I made a post about Bob Stauffer opening the kimono on this http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2040595&page=21 and most posters, especially doulous, jumped all over me because Stauffer didn't come right out and say 'oh by the way, Yakupov asked for a trade, but don't tell anyone because I shouldn't be telling you.'
Pretty much explained that he's not that difficult to decypher if you listen to him long enough.
And now people reply to this saying things like 'no d'uh, of course he would have been traded anyways' and 'it's so obvious he doesn't want to be here' and stuff.
Just like The day I posted when Stauffer had the day where he implied Schultz would be traded at the deadline and nobody at that time even thought it would be possible.

Call him Captain Obvious
With Schultz it has been when not if for a long time.
Yak likely has been wanting a trade since last year.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I have now translated the whole Yakupov interview:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nail-yakupov-wants-out-of-edmonton/

Have a good read!

Thank you for that.

Really hard to have any ill thoughts of this kid.

He seems like a class act through and through. He got the short end of the stick here, maybe he wasn't as good as the other kids, or maybe it was just bad timing, but whatever it was, it makes me feel bad for him.

He just wants to play the game he loves, and do his best, while having a little trust from the coaches, which he seemingly, hasn't had in a long time.

I wish him all the best wherever he ends up. I'll always be a huge Yakupov fan.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I can see Detroit getting Yakupov and being reunited with Nelson (if he is promoted to the NHL)

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I can see him getting a crack on some teams 1st line playing with someone like Jumbo Joe or Crosby and just lighting it up.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Thank you for that.

Really hard to have any ill thoughts of this kid.

He seems like a class act through and through. He got the short end of the stick here, maybe he wasn't as good as the other kids, or maybe it was just bad timing, but whatever it was, it makes me feel bad for him.

He just wants to play the game he loves, and do his best, while having a little trust from the coaches, which he seemingly, hasn't had in a long time.

I wish him all the best wherever he ends up. I'll always be a huge Yakupov fan.

This line kind of struck me odd

– Do you think you’re doing something not correctly to get to their level or is there anything else? Maybe you weren’t lucky with your organization?

- I’m not blaming myself for anything. Of course, the right thing to say is that one should analyze himself to find what’s not working. And I’m doing it. But my conscience is 100% clean. I have never taken shortcuts, I always listened to the coach, and executed the game plan.

Maybe the hearsay about him not listening was right...even if only in part. The more I read the interview, the more I think it's something mental more than anything. I know he said he always listened to the coach but if he did, why such poor execution most of the time?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I have now translated the whole Yakupov interview:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nail-yakupov-wants-out-of-edmonton/

Have a good read!

Very enlightening. Thanks for the translation!

When he says that McDavid befriended some players younger than Yakupov, I'm assuming Draisaitl and Nurse? Along with rooming with Hall, of course.

It just sounds like Yakupov didn't bond with anyone on the team, save for Derek Roy I guess? Perhaps the other players didn't accept him because he wasn't interested in putting in a effort socially? I know work relationships can be complex things.

It seems clear that when Khabibulin left, Yakupov was on his own here. That's a shame. I don't doubt that attempts were made to facilitate inclusion, but things shouldn't have stayed status quo for so long.

Hope he finds success - I'll be following his new team next year, even if it's the *spit* Canadiens.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Very enlightening. Thanks for the translation!

When he says that McDavid befriended some players younger than Yakupov, I'm assuming Draisaitl and Nurse? Along with rooming with Hall, of course.

It just sounds like Yakupov didn't bond with anyone on the team, save for Derek Roy I guess? Perhaps the other players didn't accept him because he wasn't interested in putting in a effort socially? I know work relationships can be complex things.

It seems clear that when Khabibulin left, Yakupov was on his own here. That's a shame. I don't doubt that attempts were made to facilitate inclusion, but things shouldn't have stayed status quo for so long.

Hope he finds success - I'll be following his new team next year, even if it's the *spit* Canadiens.

Yeah. I wanted to word it this way as well but couldn't haha

I don't think Yak was as pariah by any means but he probably didn't make any "real" effort to fit in. There was that hearsay way back as well about Nuge, Ebs and Hall going for drinks during his rookie season and he would stay at his own place because of his religion against drinking.

It is what it is.

This also came off as really awkward

– What are your ties with your coach Todd McLellan? He was expected to play offensive, combination hockey, just what it suits you best.

– We have normal ties. He coaches, and I do my job. A coach doesn’t choose his players. There was nothing special, I’m trying doing what I am asked to. We didn’t have any conflict. I know McLellan’s assistant, Jay Woodcroft, since my childhood, when he got to my home town in Russia, Nizhnekamsk, for Pavel Datsyuk’s master classes.

– Did this help you with the new staff?

– How could this help? You can know a man for a billion years, but he is still not your father. You’re getting asked the same as other players. Sometimes we have a dinner together and we remember those times, but it doesn’t have any influence on my job.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

– Do you think you’re doing something not correctly to get to their level or is there anything else? Maybe you weren’t lucky with your organization?

- I’m not blaming myself for anything. Of course, the right thing to say is that one should analyze himself to find what’s not working. And I’m doing it. But my conscience is 100% clean. I have never taken shortcuts, I always listened to the coach, and executed the game plan.

Maybe the hearsay about him not listening was right...even if only in part. The more I read the interview, the more I think it's something mental more than anything. I know he said he always listened to the coach but if he did, why such poor execution most of the time?

I think he's talking about team success here, or at least that's what I got from it. Saying that he's not just blaming himself for the lack of playoffs. Which he's right, is far too big of an issue for it to be a 1 guy problem.

I have a hard time believing anything the Edmonton media says about yaks "bad practice habbits", when so many of them have been bashing the kid since he came to town.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
You're likely looking at a Niederreiter-like return.

Montreal would be a good fit for Yak. Outside of Eller, I could see him finding chemistry with any of their other centres. DLR and a higher mid-pick would be fine for me.

I'd rather avoid a Yak for another young struggling skill player trade (RE: Drouin). Yak flamed out here partially because he has no role in the top 6, you'll just be back to square one.

Focus on bring in guys who can open up the ice for the skill guys, or succeed playing on the lower lines.

DLR and a higher mid-pick would be fine for me.

DLR? Is that David Lee Roth cause he sucks now too

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I can see Detroit getting Yakupov and being reunited with Nelson (if he is promoted to the NHL)

I thought the same thing myself. Nelson seemed to get Yak and I think Yak flet that Nelson trusted him. Detroit has had good luck with Europeans and having Datsyuk there would be great for Yak.

Ultimately where ever he goes I hope he turns things around. I loved watching this kid in his junior days and I hope he can still find that magic going forward. But he has a lot of work in front of him.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Not surprised on Yakupov.

Someone will trade for him, likely a 2nd round pick, he won't do much on the new team since his hockey IQ is probably the lowest I have ever seen. Then to the KHL when no one else wants to take a flyer on him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I don't think Yak was as pariah by any means but he probably didn't make any "real" effort to fit in. There was that hearsay way back as well about Nuge, Ebs and Hall going for drinks during his rookie season and he would stay at his own place because of his religion against drinking.

It is what it is.

Sorry, but I don't buy the religion angle. As per this interview Yak went out with just about every Russian visiting player and even a ref none of which are of his religion. When the guy is still talking about Khabibulin you know there are issues on the team. There are only 2 scenarios.. Either Yak wants to be with fellow Russians instead of his team or a certain group on the team doesn't want to be with him. (Hall and his gang)

I think he's talking about team success here, or at least that's what I got from it. Saying that he's not just blaming himself for the lack of playoffs. Which he's right, is far too big of an issue for it to be a 1 guy problem.

I have a hard time believing anything the Edmonton media says about yaks "bad practice habbits", when so many of them have been bashing the kid since he came to town.
No he wasn't talking about team success... He was talking about his own success.
He is saying that he is 100% confident that he is working his best in terms of what is being asked of him by the coach.. He just cant do much "with tied hands". Whatever that means.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

I know we want to hear contrition from struggling hockey players, but perhaps Yak just isn't his own worst critic. He's happy with his play, and believes the success (or lack of) by his line is the result of many more factors.

Oilers post-Stanley Cup history is literally a graveyard of players dumped in a losing atmosphere, playing above their comfortable depth, subjected to intense scrutiny. Some lack the maturity to see that regardless of the team's failures, they need to improve individually. They may figure it out on their second or third team, or just flame out. Some simply aren't good enough to succeed. And no doubt, some are victims of poor post-draft development. I think Yak is a combination of all three, for now. But the first one looms large right now, as your quote indicates.

It is what it is.

This also came off as really awkward

– What are your ties with your coach Todd McLellan? He was expected to play offensive, combination hockey, just what it suits you best.

– We have normal ties. He coaches, and I do my job. A coach doesn’t choose his players. There was nothing special, I’m trying doing what I am asked to. We didn’t have any conflict. I know McLellan’s assistant, Jay Woodcroft, since my childhood, when he got to my home town in Russia, Nizhnekamsk, for Pavel Datsyuk’s master classes.

– Did this help you with the new staff?

– How could this help? You can know a man for a billion years, but he is still not your father. You’re getting asked the same as other players. Sometimes we have a dinner together and we remember those times, but it doesn’t have any influence on my job.

Yakupov seems like that buddy who is a very difficult person to bond with, unless you've grown up together. Orthodoxy can polarize your views, making you appear very judgmental and difficult. I guess what we've seen shouldn't have been wholly unexpected. And that's not a shot a Yak alone. The team could have handled this better, with competent, consistent management and coaching. Katz's "burn it to the ground" philosophy is also very much to blame here.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Always loved Yakupov, I hope he goes somewhere he's given a chance and he can light up the NHL. Wish the guy nothing but the best.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Sorry, but I don't buy the religion angle. As per this interview Yak went out with just about every Russian visiting player and even a ref none of which are of his religion. When the guy is still talking about Khabibulin you know there are issues on the team. There are only 2 scenarios.. Either Yak wants to be with fellow Russians instead of his team or a certain group on the team doesn't want to be with him. (Hall and his gang)

Religion may be an easy out for him back then but you can't deny he didn't exactly try his best to bond with his mates

No he wasn't talking about team success... He was talking about his own success.
He is saying that he is 100% confident that he is working his best in terms of what is being asked of him by the coach.. He just cant do much "with tied hands". Whatever that means.

His tied hands is an excuse for his inability to adapt/diversify his game. He thinks he's a scorer and will only play as such.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yakupov seems like that buddy who is a very difficult person to bond with, unless you've grown up together. Orthodoxy can polarize your views, making you appear very judgmental and difficult. I guess what we've seen shouldn't have been wholly unexpected. And that's not a shot a Yak alone. The team could have handled this better, with competent, consistent management and coaching. Katz's "burn it to the ground" philosophy is also very much to blame here.

Yet he has no issues going out with Russians he sees 2 times a year.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
His tied hands is an excuse for his inability to adapt/diversify his game. He thinks he's a scorer and will only play as such.

Sure... Kruger realized it and instead of trying to "diversify" his game decided to use him for his strengths. Eakins tried to turn him into Letestu.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I think it's similar to his quote about not wanting to be turned into a grinder, that everyone took to mean he doesn't want to play defense. My take on that is he means that he knows he put in the effort, so he's not blaming himself in the sense of "if only I would have applied myself", as he was saying when he said he doesn't take any shortcuts

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I suspect that Eakins just damaged things so much with Yakupov that it tarnished what Mclellan could do with him. He gets put on a lower line because he's not as good as others and he probably sees it as a "here we go again" situation rather than going in with a more positive attitude. He is the definition of a needs a fresh start player I think. Hopefully the return is decent.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yet he has no issues going out with Russians he sees 2 times a year.

I think that kind of highlights Yaks personality more than anything no? Unless what you're trying to acknowledge is the fact Yak picks his company...kind of hard to read

Sure... Kruger realized it and instead of trying to "diversify" his game decided to use him for his strengths. Eakins tried to turn him into Letestu.

Thing with Kruger, and this coming from a fan of his time here, is that Kruger only focused of players strengths and mitigated their weaknesses by having others mask it. It's like Bergeron-Pronger pairing we had. Pronger all around elite level play allowed Bergeron to focus on his offense.

In due time, Kruger's team would've collapsed and that's what happened when Whitney, our 1D at the time, went down.

Eakins tried to make him an all around better player-it's just that, unfortunately Eakins went about it the wrong way.

Last edited:

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site

We need to be careful to not read too much into the details of a translation. No matter how good it is, critical linguistic and cultural subtleties capable of drastically changing the meaning of a given word or phrase are often lost when moving between languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad