News Article: Yahoo news article... still no respect from some

Jan 19, 2006
I hate Bill Parcells, but he had one saying that I liked -

You are what your record says you are.

For years and years we have whined about games the Panthers lost where they outplayed the other team. Happened quite a bit. Why? Because even though they "outplayed" the other team, the other team was simply more talented. A little burst of energy from the opposition and a whole game of dominating puck possession would go up in the smoke of an OTL.

Can't we just enjoy the fact that the karma of the universe is bringing us back to equilibrium?

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Lightning fan here. Glad to see the Florida respect curse is alive and well. I remember when the Lightning were in the playoffs two years ago, and yet they were consistently ranked in 15-20 range below non playoff teams for all sorts of crazy reasons.

Ignore the major media outlets, and just enjoy what the team is giving you guys. If the Bolts are going to suck it up this year, you guys are in charge of taking care of the upstart original sixer's this year!

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Still trying to figure out what edgy thing this guy said. Florida has been lucky during this 9 game win streak? That seems fair, they've definitely been outplayed in several of these games. Florida isn't actually a premier team in the league? People disagree with that?

Here is the thing, to me it sounds he is claiming that we have been lucky all year. Compared the team to the Avs of 2 years ago and the flames last year. The difference there is we dont rely on offense and our goalie(s) are better. Our defense is also better DEFENSIVELY (those team had high offensive output from their defense).

2nd. While allowing one goal a game is not sustainable, 2-3 is. What 2.3 gaa? 2.25? That is not out of this world and is still great.

The team is 14-0-1 when scoring 3 or more goals. Why? Because the team absolutely locks it down defensively. Air tight. They allow an abundance of shots because they dont push up the ice as hard. That is absolutely fine to me. They will get burned at some point doing that, but thats definitely fixable. But it's not like the team takes unecessary risk ( I'm looking at you Olsen).

Luck? Sure. Barkov hasnt gotten hurt again. Luongo/Montoya have been healthy. Ekblad etc.

we've had our share of bad luck too (injuries, and the game we lost against Buffalo (**** off helmet save by their minion goalie)).

But to outright call the team a fraud? Who even claimed we are contenders at this point?

The team is still defense first. They still struggle to get to 3. But that is how they will have to win games till the offense/PP is fixed.

Point is, the team relies on more sustainable areas than unsustainable ones (that being defense vs a high outputting offense/PP).

And unlike an Andrew Hammond for example, this is Luongo. Hall of fame caliber goalie.

just my thoughts.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Same story, different year. We got no respect in 2011-2012 when we managed to get into the playoffs, then proceeded to take the eventual Eastern Conference Champs to 7 games, double OT.

This team is better than that, this division is far harder than that one.

Just keep winning and they won't have a choice, or they can live in the past. That's their problem. I, for one, am going to keep enjoying the hell out of this ride.

We may not always be the better team out there, but they know how to get themselves into a position to win, how to play solid defense and goaltending, and do the little things that eventually lead to victory.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I hate Bill Parcells, but he had one saying that I liked -

You are what your record says you are.

For years and years we have whined about games the Panthers lost where they outplayed the other team. Happened quite a bit. Why? Because even though they "outplayed" the other team, the other team was simply more talented. A little burst of energy from the opposition and a whole game of dominating puck possession would go up in the smoke of an OTL.

Can't we just enjoy the fact that the karma of the universe is bringing us back to equilibrium?

:handclap:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Same story, different year. We got no respect in 2011-2012 when we managed to get into the playoffs, then proceeded to take the eventual Eastern Conference Champs to 7 games, double OT.

This team is better than that, this division is far harder than that one.

Just keep winning and they won't have a choice, or they can live in the past. That's their problem. I, for one, am going to keep enjoying the hell out of this ride.

We may not always be the better team out there, but they know how to get themselves into a position to win, how to play solid defense and goaltending, and do the little things that eventually lead to victory.

Most of the press has been overwhelmingly positive during the last month or so. Even the announcers and analysts of other teams have been praising us. This is the first article I've seen that says anything negative. Today people have to get clicks and it's most effective when you take a contrarian pov.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I can state at least four things that won't show up in "advanced" stats that the team is doing better now than last season or early this season.

Dmen clearing the puck and limiting second chances.

Forwards not coughing up the puck along the boards in own zone but getting the puck out more efficiently.

Passing accuracy everywhere, including entry into offensive zone.

Forechecking by all lines, Barkov's anticipation, Trochek's and Howden's speed, Mackenzie's tenacity, just to name a few.

There's more of course, like some intangibles brought by Jokinen and even Thornton as of late. There's no denying that the first line is most dominant, but why exactly is that such a problem? Would it better not to have them be that good? I'll worry about balanced lines later when playoffs loom larger.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I can state at least four things that won't show up in "advanced" stats that the team is doing better now than last season or early this season.

Dmen clearing the puck and limiting second chances.

Forwards not coughing up the puck along the boards in own zone but getting the puck out more efficiently.

Passing accuracy everywhere, including entry into offensive zone.

Forechecking by all lines, Barkov's anticipation, Trochek's and Howden's speed, Mackenzie's tenacity, just to name a few.

There's more of course, like some intangibles brought by Jokinen and even Thornton as of late. There's no denying that the first line is most dominant, but why exactly is that such a problem? Would it better not to have them be that good? I'll worry about balanced lines later when playoffs loom larger.

All this is nice, but it doesnt mean a thing. The advanced stats say we are an average team, overachieving, period :shakehead

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
All this is nice, but it doesnt mean a thing. The advanced stats say we are an average team, overachieving, period :shakehead

Yeah, the problem with "advanced" anything sometimes is that people want it equated with "smart" and "meaningful".

I'm not saying the various measures regarding possession time, opportunities for and against, team performance with and without, numbers of offensive and defensive starts etc aren't a pretty cool idea. They are. But unless the measures are actually themselves counted correctly and in a meaningful way, they end up being no better than cnn polls on the best places to live.

The other side of the coin is that "advanced" stats can become misleading indicators of what a team should do if bought into without proper context.

Which is what this writer misses in spades - context.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Yeah, the problem with "advanced" anything sometimes is that people want it equated with "smart" and "meaningful".

I'm not saying the various measures regarding possession time, opportunities for and against, team performance with and without, numbers of offensive and defensive starts etc aren't a pretty cool idea. They are. But unless the measures are actually themselves counted correctly and in a meaningful way, they end up being no better than cnn polls on the best places to live.

The other side of the coin is that "advanced" stats can become misleading indicators of what a team should do if bought into without proper context.

Which is what this writer misses in spades - context.

advanced stats in the NHL are still in the infancy stage. nothing has been perfected and the NHL isn't a stat based sport like baseball where every single game action can be easily charted. There is a reason most teams don't use them very much yet

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
advanced stats in the NHL are still in the infancy stage. nothing has been perfected and the NHL isn't a stat based sport like baseball where every single game action can be easily charted. There is a reason most teams don't use them very much yet
That's the whole point; this writer is stupid to insinuate that they are THE meaningful way to look at the game. Advanced stats will take time (read: proofing) to hone.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The NBA is about talent All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common — they’re a bunch of guys who have never played the game, and they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game.

-Charles Barkley

Pretty much how I feel about advanced stats in any sport. It all comes down to who is better. Advanced stats are just way to rationalize what happened or will happen without watching a game.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
The NBA is about talent All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common — they’re a bunch of guys who have never played the game, and they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game.

-Charles Barkley

Pretty much how I feel about advanced stats in any sport. It all comes down to who is better. Advanced stats are just way to rationalize what happened or will happen without watching a game.

This might be the most meatheaded thing I've ever seen lol.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
Most of the press has been overwhelmingly positive during the last month or so. Even the announcers and analysts of other teams have been praising us. This is the first article I've seen that says anything negative. Today people have to get clicks and it's most effective when you take a contrarian pov.

I agree with the press coverage, not just nationally but locally. I listen to NHL almost daily and there is nothing but positive things said about the team, how Tallon has built the team to be good, just not 1 year but many. Local press is covering the Panthers now which they has never happened in the last 5 plus years. Its comical how everyone is now a hockey fan in So. Fla, but that what the team has needed for a long time. I have people at work asking me about hockey now and most know its only played on ice!!:shakehead

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I agree with the press coverage, not just nationally but locally. I listen to NHL almost daily and there is nothing but positive things said about the team, how Tallon has built the team to be good, just not 1 year but many. Local press is covering the Panthers now which they has never happened in the last 5 plus years. Its comical how everyone is now a hockey fan in So. Fla, but that what the team has needed for a long time. I have people at work asking me about hockey now and most know its only played on ice!!:shakehead

Why is this a bad thing? We've been begging people to be interested in this team for how long, and now that it's happening we're upset that there's a bandwagon?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

This is a good thing!

You have your hardcore fans, and you have your fair weather fans! Fair weather fans are important, and who knows, if we keep doing well, maybe some of them become hardcore fans!

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

-Charles Barkley

Disagree slightly. Baseball has been "solved" with analytics. Basketball is almost there and formulas such as PER have been proven to be an accurate barometer of success. Football is a bit ahead of hockey which is in its absolute infancy. I have no doubt that within 10 years each team will have an analytics dept using more detailed versions of the current formulas that require someone dedicated to watching/charting every game to get accurate numbers.

This is a good thing!

You have your hardcore fans, and you have your fair weather fans! Fair weather fans are important, and who knows, if we keep doing well, maybe some of them become hardcore fans!

agree 100% fairweather fans bring their kids who could/do become diehard fans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad