News Article: Yahoo news article... still no respect from some

TheRealDeal88

Dec 10, 2013
Washington is still a bit of regular season squad imo, excellent special teams but matches not so well 5v5 eventhough has been trending to right direction + holtby seems to have found his game for good.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
They aren't the best team in the league that's for sure. But we don't have what they have so you're comparing apples to oranges here. Ovi, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, a better defense, better goalie this year. Take a look at the past cup winners and where they ranked in possession metrics. Hint: many are first, some others as low as about 4, and a couple outliers (Pens, Bruins).

I've yet to see someone name a team with a better d-core than ours... Yet you make this statement now...

I may have missed the note that said Brooks Orpik is a great defenseman ! :)

Much better offense for sure, so a way better PP which make their chances of sustaining this kind of pace a lot higher !

They also have more experience compared to us... An amazing coach too.

But defensively speaking ? And I'm talking about the names, not the team-play... Hell no !

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I don't get the sense that anyone on these boards is under the delusion that this is a cup contending team. I've been on these boards for a long time and a fan since the very beginning of the franchise, can we just enjoy a couple of weeks of positive results in peace without some ******* (Lambert) coming out of the woodwork to stomp all over us the second it happens? I mean... for ****s sake we know the team isn't as good as the Caps are. OKAY. We get it. They've been lucky. They'll fall back to earth and the I told you so's will have their field day.

Can we just, as fans, enjoy the current ride? Given that there is literally nothing any columnist or fan or stat geek or media personality can do to affect the outcome, can we just all agree to chill for a bit and not feed a professional click-bait artist his hits?

Dont know about you but i bought some champagne 2 weeks ago.

I'm saving it for June

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I don't get the sense that anyone on these boards is under the delusion that this is a cup contending team. I've been on these boards for a long time and a fan since the very beginning of the franchise, can we just enjoy a couple of weeks of positive results in peace without some ******* (Lambert) coming out of the woodwork to stomp all over us the second it happens? I mean... for ****s sake we know the team isn't as good as the Caps are. OKAY. We get it. They've been lucky. They'll fall back to earth and the I told you so's will have their field day.

Can we just, as fans, enjoy the current ride? Given that there is literally nothing any columnist or fan or stat geek or media personality can do to affect the outcome, can we just all agree to chill for a bit and not feed a professional click-bait artist his hits?

OK but when a stat based article is posted on a message board I don't think I'm in the wrong for saying I agree with the stat. I love the streak. Everyone loves the streak. I acknowledged that our record to this point is unsustainable and I don't think many would disagree on that front. When we're bad people complain I'm too optimistic. When we're good I get people saying I'm too pessimistic. I just like to see the big picture. No knee jerk reactions from me.

I've yet to see someone name a team with a better d-core than ours... Yet you make this statement now...

I may have missed the note that said Brooks Orpik is a great defenseman ! :)

Much better offense for sure, so a way better PP which make their chances of sustaining this kind of pace a lot higher !

They also have more experience compared to us... An amazing coach too.

But defensively speaking ? And I'm talking about the names, not the team-play... Hell no !

Is Brooks Orpik their number one? No. But they have great defensive depth and it's more proven. I'll take their D core over ours this year.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
we're 3rd in the entire league in goals against, only 2 goals behind washington and la, plus they both have a game to play so we could be equal if not better after those games are played. both of our goaltenders have been superb all season long, our d was already good but entering this winning streak we found perfect combinations in Kulikov-Ekblad and Campbell-Gudbranson with Mitchell-Petrovic holding down the bottom. we just need a little offense to help get us those W's and we have that 1st line going with jagr being a stud, huberdeau playing better and rolling, and barkov playing like a franchise center and coming into his own. the 2nd line of trocheck and smith along with jokinen, are all quality players and are perfect for each other. plus we have enough good depth in the bottom-2 to roll 4 lines with howden, brick, shaw, knight, mac, not to mention bjugstad now back. pirri and barkov have been automatic in the shootouts and we havent been losing those.

i dont see how its luck, seems to make sense to me.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
You all forget that with such great #Character, there is no such thing as #PuckLuck

The only advanced stat worthwhile measuring is the easy-meter that shows the true colors of a team. Needless to say, we are topping the charts.

What is it Brian Burke says? Something like "advanced stats don't show players who are willing to sacrifice their bodies for their teams" i.e. blocking shots with their face.

Pirri says it best, that this team is like a family right now, playing for each other. You can't measure that.

You have to see it to believe it.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
^It's luck because we can't keep allowing so many shots and holding teams to 1 goal per game. That's not sustainable. Nor is it sustainable to keeping getting as few shots as we are and scoring 3 goals per game

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
OK but when a stat based article is posted on a message board I don't think I'm in the wrong for saying I agree with the stat. I love the streak. Everyone loves the streak. I acknowledged that our record to this point is unsustainable and I don't think many would disagree on that front. When we're bad people complain I'm too optimistic. When we're good I get people saying I'm too pessimistic. I just like to see the big picture. No knee jerk reactions from me.

Is Brooks Orpik their number one? No. But they have great defensive depth and it's more proven. I'll take their D core over ours this year.

Man, I'm like you, never too high, never too low... But you also know like me that stats can tell everything you want them to say generally !

But this guy is using stats the wrong way IMO... You use stats to support an argument, to explain, to understand, at least in my book... Not to make a conclusion as bold as saying we will win the Atlantic easily !

Problem with this article and then your reaction is that they both seems to imply that we are still a bottom-feeder or a low bubble-team that is getting crazy lucky...

When we all see a bubble-team that is on the rise !

That's quite a difference IMO

P.S.: And I know you believe in this team, nothing against you man !

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Man, I'm like you, never too high, never too low... But you also know like me that stats can tell everything you want them to say generally !

But this guy is using stats the wrong way IMO... You use stats to support an argument, to explain, to understand, at least in my book... Not to make a conclusion as bold as saying we will win the Atlantic easily !

Problem with this article and then your reaction is that they both seems to imply that we are still a bottom-feeder or a low bubble-team that is getting crazy lucky...

When we all see a bubble-team that is on the rise !

That's quite a difference IMO

P.S.: And I know you believe in this team, nothing against you man !

I like this post. Hell I still haven't read the article yet (I'll do that right now). I'm just saying that I'm going to be cautiously optimistic because I think we've played a little over our capabilities. If we grab a divisional spot I'll be ecstatic. All I want is playoffs though. 7th is no letdown.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
I don't see the sense in getting caught up with or feeling slighted when someone writes an article against us.. ("they aren't showing us any damn respect!!!").

For one, its better for an article to be based around how we are "lucky" to be in first place, instead of how "unlucky" we are to be lower in the standings, or how poorly we are playing while being low in the standings. Give me 1st place and negative coverage anyday.

Secondly, as RR said, i've seen way more positive posts, comments and analysis in favour then not.

Third, no matter how good we do, there will always be someone with a negative angle. If we Win the Cup 4-1, someone will ask why we didnt sweep; if we win, there will be plenty who say we can't do it again. Just ask the Golden State Warriors if winning it all means you get totall 100% respect from everyone. The negative angles and naysayers will never end.

Now, honest debate of the relevance and legitimacy of particular stats seems fair (as many here have been doing)... But I'd rather not always play the victim and get upset at anyone who has something bad to say about us. The better and more relevant we become, the more this will happen, so we should get used to it and take it in our stride ;) ... Plus the whole "your tears taste delicious" angle when we are finally on top of the world

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I agree with everything Flapanthers11 has said itt, and sadly the writer of this article, even though he seems like a jerk.

You can enjoy an amazing streak without thinking this team is a Cup contender.

we're 3rd in the entire league in goals against, only 2 goals behind washington and la, plus they both have a game to play so we could be equal if not better after those games are played. both of our goaltenders have been superb all season long, our d was already good but entering this winning streak we found perfect combinations in Kulikov-Ekblad and Campbell-Gudbranson with Mitchell-Petrovic holding down the bottom. we just need a little offense to help get us those W's and we have that 1st line going with jagr being a stud, huberdeau playing better and rolling, and barkov playing like a franchise center and coming into his own. the 2nd line of trocheck and smith along with jokinen, are all quality players and are perfect for each other. plus we have enough good depth in the bottom-2 to roll 4 lines with howden, brick, shaw, knight, mac, not to mention bjugstad now back. pirri and barkov have been automatic in the shootouts and we havent been losing those.

i dont see how its luck, seems to make sense to me.

Allowing 1 GAA in 80% of games and having a 975 sv % is usually luck. I mean I'd love if it continues but I don't think Luongo is going to have the best season in NHL history.

Last edited:

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
The writer has the right to express his opinion whether or not we agree with said opinion.

I think it's strategic journalism. Probably thinks we are heading towards an inevitable loss and slump after the tear we are currently on and it'll make him look smart if and when that happens. All I can say is try to ignore it because this stuff is written about all 30 teams when they are doing good.

However, this run has been no fluke. This is the best Panther team I've ever seen (Was too young to really see the '96 run). The team has worked hard and played great hockey overall this year. If they can match the pace they made in this first half, then we are in the playoffs.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
While we are so keen on disproving our current success by using advanced statistics, does anybody know by chance how to get these stats for Carolina and Edmonton from 2006?

They made up the final, but I do not remember them at all to be strong teams, especially not in regards to parameters of advanced stats like posession.

Even if there is a correlation between success and e.g. corsi, let's not forget our non-measurable criteria (got "character" anyone...? :sarcasm:)

EDIT: CAR had Stall and Brind'amour, 2 of the best faceoff men in the league at that point. I could see the statistic correlation there

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Still trying to figure out what edgy thing this guy said. Florida has been lucky during this 9 game win streak? That seems fair, they've definitely been outplayed in several of these games. Florida isn't actually a premier team in the league? People disagree with that?

teamsaxby

Dec 31, 2014
Wyshinski of Yahoo using advanced stats to say we're a fraud team and are getting lucky

Just a couple quick points ...

It wasn't Wyshynski himself (editor) who wrote the article, it was a different Puck Daddy writer.

I bring that up because, as a big fan of the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast, they brought up the Panthers on the latest show. Yes, Wysh plugged the article for his site and admitted he was skeptical of the current pace (which is a perfectly fine/logical opinion), but he also praised the core, comparing Barkov to Toews, saying Ekblad is about to be as good as any defenseman in the league, and mentioning how impressive it is that they have won without Bjugstad. The co-host Jeff Marek also praised Huberdeau's play of late. I think these kinds of articles/responses are expected when teams seemingly overachieves for stretches and it isn't a big deal.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Just a couple quick points ...

It wasn't Wyshynski himself (editor) who wrote the article, it was a different Puck Daddy writer.

I bring that up because, as a big fan of the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast, they brought up the Panthers on the latest show. Yes, Wysh plugged the article for his site and admitted he was skeptical of the current pace (which is a perfectly fine/logical opinion), but he also praised the core, comparing Barkov to Toews, saying Ekblad is about to be as good as any defenseman in the league, and mentioning how impressive it is that they have won without Bjugstad. The co-host Jeff Marek also praised Huberdeau's play of late. I think these kinds of articles/responses are expected when teams seemingly overachieves for stretches and it isn't a big deal.

Thanks. I think we figured that out about 3 pages ago. I just never changed my post to reflect that.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Still trying to figure out what edgy thing this guy said. Florida has been lucky during this 9 game win streak? That seems fair, they've definitely been outplayed in several of these games. Florida isn't actually a premier team in the league? People disagree with that?

Inferred that bjugstad is a bad player for one. Another thing is that lambert isn't calling the panthers a wild card team who is riding a hot streak to the top of the east, but a straight up fraud. There are plenty of other things mentioned in the article that I have already referenced ITT.

Never mind that he is relying on advanced stats that most teams don't even bother using just yet because the data is so flawed. This isn't baseball where almost everything can be calculated just by looking at a properly done score card.
As for the lucky part. You/he are absolutely right. Over this 9 game win streak, the panthers have absolutely been lucky in a few of the games. However, if you look back at every long winning streak since the beginning of time, no team can string together a 5+ game winning streak where they are the better team on the ice very single game. Long winning streaks require luck to become winning streaks in the first place.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad