News Article: Yahoo news article... still no respect from some

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Lu was a big part in that.

NYR had 11 scoring chances in the 3rd, 5 of them of the high danger variety per War on Ice. Scoring chances were even at 10 a piece through the first two periods. The Rangers were the better team in that one we were just a bit fortunate.

Looks to me like the game was even until we understandably decided to sit on a 3 goal lead in the 3rd

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

NYR had 11 scoring chances in the 3rd, 5 of them of the high danger variety per War on Ice. Scoring chances were even at 10 a piece through the first two periods. The Rangers were the better team in that one we were just a bit fortunate.

They shelled up on the 3rd. No denying that.

1st and 2 were fairly even, Panthers just buried.

Think of how the Panthers lost to the bruins or Kings. Got out played 1st and 2nd, they sat back in the 3rd and The Panthers got their chances.

Wild definitely outplayed us though. Though the middle of the 3rd were fairly even, Jagr just buried

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
They shelled up on the 3rd. No denying that.

1st and 2 were fairly even, Panthers just buried.

Think of how the Panthers lost to the bruins or Kings. Got out played 1st and 2nd, they sat back in the 3rd and The Panthers got their chances.

Wild definitely outplayed us though. Though the middle of the 3rd were fairly even, Jagr just buried

Welcome to PDO and what many call luck.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

War on Ice isn't physically watching each shot taken in every game. They are merely looking at a shot chart, drawing a box around the high danger area and saying each of those shots is a "high danger" chance. doesn't matter if its a weak wrister right into the goalies chest or a one timer that the goalie made a miraculous save on. Most teams don't dig too deep into advanced stats just yet because the data is so flawed right now. I know for a fact that the only advanced stats the Panthers rely on are for the purpose of determining who should take the faceoff in every conceivable situation. (yes I know the panthers are a bad faceoff team, but that is because we don't have many players who are actually good at faceoffs.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The truth of this article lies somewhere in between. The Cats are not as bad as this guy is saying but they are not as good as their record either. Things tend to balance out in the end as you can see teams get on long winning streaks for no apparent reason other than the bounce of the puck. There is mental weariness from a winning streak that gradually eats up your energy and you have to slow down and recharge. It'll happen again and we will have to endure until they right the ship.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
The truth of this article lies somewhere in between. The Cats are not as bad as this guy is saying but they are not as good as their record either. Things tend to balance out in the end as you can see teams get on long winning streaks for no apparent reason other than the bounce of the puck. There is mental weariness from a winning streak that gradually eats up your energy and you have to slow down and recharge. It'll happen again and we will have to endure until they right the ship.

This is the point. I guess everybody agrees that we are not a contender for the division title even though we are in the lead. We are no Kings or Blackhawks.

Nevertheless, the improvement from last year is clearly visible. Our goalies plus our defense give us a shot to steal a point every game, Barkov is a god and the other lines provide valuable occasional scoring support.

Let's try to measure "confidence" and add that to the advanced stats... A confident team with decent capacities executing its system perfectly (even when giving up 40 shots a game but just being darn efficient with its scoring opportunities) can succeed against any other team at this level.

So yes, imo we are overachieving but not by a huge margin.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Trocheck goal was luck.

Shaw and Pirri werent

yup. If you watch a video of every goal the panthers have scored and conceeded this year, you will see that there haven't been many "lucky bounce" goals. Meanwhile, up until this recent hot streak, it seemed like the Panthers were giving up a lucky bounce every other game, which leads to another flaw in War on Ice. A deflected shot that ends up on the stick of a forward for an easy goal is considered a dangerous chance, when the reality is that it was a garbage goal that is as much a product of sheer luck as anything else while a perfect back door pass that skips over a stick and goes harmlessly into a corner is not counted at all.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
yup. If you watch a video of every goal the panthers have scored and conceeded this year, you will see that there haven't been many "lucky bounce" goals. Meanwhile, up until this recent hot streak, it seemed like the Panthers were giving up a lucky bounce every other game, which leads to another flaw in War on Ice. A deflected shot that ends up on the stick of a forward for an easy goal is considered a dangerous chance, when the reality is that it was a garbage goal that is as much a product of sheer luck as anything else while a perfect back door pass that skips over a stick and goes harmlessly into a corner is not counted at all.

Prime example of this was the Pacioretty goal. Broken play lands flat on his stick.

When was the last time besides the Trocheck goal did we get a lucky one? We lost so many games because we were unlucky?

PDO is irrelevant to me. Hell, i dont need advance stats to tell me why we might falter. Faceoff percentage plus PP is enough for me. Improve those, and this is a dangerous dangerous team

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
Florida
CF% (5v5) - 47.7% (22nd)
PDO - 102.1 (3rd)
Luongo - .929 SV%, 2.09 GAA, 1861:52 minutes

Washington
CF% (5v5) - 50.1% (15th)
PDO - 102.4 (2nd)
Holtby - .932 SV%, 1.93 GAA, 1838:43 minutes

So I guess Washington is a fraud as well?

List of teams currently in a playoff spot whose CF% is in the bottom half of the league:
NYI (17th), BOS (18th), MIN (19th), FLA (22nd), NYR (26th), ARI (27th), NJ (28th)

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Florida
CF% (5v5) - 47.7% (22nd)
PDO - 102.1 (3rd)

Washington
CF% (5v5) - 50.1% (15th)
PDO - 102.4 (2nd)

good find, good post

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Florida
CF% (5v5) - 47.7% (22nd)
PDO - 102.1 (3rd)

Washington
CF% (5v5) - 50.1% (15th)
PDO - 102.4 (2nd)

List of teams currently in a playoff spot whose CF% is in the bottom half of the league:
NYI (17th), BOS (18th), MIN (19th), FLA (22nd), NYR (26th), ARI (27th), NJ (28th)

:popcorn:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Florida
CF% (5v5) - 47.7% (22nd)
PDO - 102.1 (3rd)

Washington
CF% (5v5) - 50.1% (15th)
PDO - 102.4 (2nd)

They aren't the best team in the league that's for sure. But we don't have what they have so you're comparing apples to oranges here. Ovi, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, a better defense, better goalie this year. Take a look at the past cup winners and where they ranked in possession metrics. Hint: many are first, some others as low as about 4, and a couple outliers (Pens, Bruins).

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
They aren't the best team in the league that's for sure. But we don't have what they have so you're comparing apples to oranges here. Ovi, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, a better defense, better goalie this year. Take a look at the past cup winners and where they ranked in possession metrics. Hint: many are first, some others as low as about 4, and a couple outliers (Pens, Bruins).

But we're arguing PDO aren't we? Their PDO is just slightly higher than ours...does that mean they're getting lucky too?

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
But we're arguing PDO aren't we? Their PDO is just slightly higher than ours...does that mean they're getting lucky too?

PDO matched up with Corsi, typically.

I wouldn't argue that theirs is as unsustainable as ours considering that they have much better offensive talent therfore they most likely have a much more sustainable shooting percentage.

However, as PDO suggests, yes, both teams should see some regression to the mean over a larger sample.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Ryan Lambert articles are typically terrible...comments are usually about how they are badly written.

We're not as good as we are now (no team can sustain our recent pace) and we're not as bad as we were earlier in the year. But we're good enough for first in our division and that's good enough with me!

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Panthers are first in the Atlantic and have looked damn good, and been a hell of a lot of fun to watch, while doing it.

Works for me. And I ain't surprised.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
PDO matched up with Corsi, typically.

I wouldn't argue that theirs is as unsustainable as ours considering that they have much better offensive talent therfore they most likely have a much more sustainable shooting percentage.

However, as PDO suggests, yes, both teams should see some regression to the mean over a larger sample.

I don't get the sense that anyone on these boards is under the delusion that this is a cup contending team. I've been on these boards for a long time and a fan since the very beginning of the franchise, can we just enjoy a couple of weeks of positive results in peace without some ******* (Lambert) coming out of the woodwork to stomp all over us the second it happens? I mean... for ****s sake we know the team isn't as good as the Caps are. OKAY. We get it. They've been lucky. They'll fall back to earth and the I told you so's will have their field day.

Can we just, as fans, enjoy the current ride? Given that there is literally nothing any columnist or fan or stat geek or media personality can do to affect the outcome, can we just all agree to chill for a bit and not feed a professional click-bait artist his hits?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad