Post-Game Talk: YA BLEW IT | Leafs lose 3-2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
So if it's always the player's fault, why have a coach at all? Why pay a guy the big money?

As I've repeatedly said, a great coach is a guy that gets more out his roster than the talent present suggests. He makes a team perform to be more than the sum of it's parts.

I don't believe Babcock does that anymore.

I didn't say its always's the player's fault, did I? I said that it wasn't Babcock's fault that we lost the series.

Babcock's 2nd season with the Leafs brought a last-place team to the playoffs, and the president trophy winning Capitals to a hard fought, six game series. Babcock got more out of that roster than most would have. Heck, he was widely praised by the fanbase for that exact reason.

Babcock's 3rd season with the Leafs brought the leafs to their best record in franchise history. Because of the playoff system, they were still underdogs in their series. They didn't have home ice advantage. They also couldn't contain the Bergeron line on the road. They did a much better job of containing them at home.

This season, the Leafs are on pace to beat last year's franchise best season record. The playoff story has yet to be written.

The Leafs have done nothing but improve under Babcock's coaching. Its absurd how this fanbase has turned on him so quickly.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yes yes yes that would really help. But he has this stupid game streak thing going on. If he did sign here for a Cup then he needs to look past the personal stuff and do what is in teams best interest.
Well let him play one shift and hit the showers. Keeps his streak alive and the miles down. Let him miss practices as well. We can go to mostly optional skates to get players more rest.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Can you elaborate on the Too Many Men penalty? Specifically what role the Coach played in that.
Looked to me like a player was going off and changed his mind and played the puck.
It was late though so I may have seen it incorrectly.
You are 100% correct that is exactly what happened. But I know you knew this.

Reactions: ACC1224

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Can you elaborate on the Too Many Men penalty? Specifically what role the Coach played in that.
Looked to me like a player was going off and changed his mind and played the puck.

People like to blame coaches for TMM penalties, even though it's generally not on coaches at all.

In minor hockey when they are the ones opening and closing gates for the young players, sure, and maybe that's where this comes from, people's minor hockey history?

In the NHL, Babcock taps on the shoulder/yells at who is going out next, and they watch their guy and jumps over for the change.

Somehow a guy jumping on, and the skater that is changing plays the puck, is Babcock's fault :dunno:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think you misunderstood. Andersen is our mvp and covers
for our deficiencies virtually every game. But when he has an off game (think game 1 and 7 of last years playoffs) he allows some real stinkers. I think he should have had all 3 goals last night and if he was on, he would have.

Andersen can run very hot and cold

When he's on he's a genuine Vezena candidate and can go on hot runs for months at a time, he can also have weeks at a time where he really fights the puck

Come playoff time he does concern me, if he goes through a hot period we could genuinely win a cup this year, if we get something like last post season were completely ******

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with him

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Didn't you see Babcock whisper into the players ear "Hey, buddy... Go on the ice now, who cares if we already have five players on the ice"...?

:sarcasm:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You are 100% correct that is exactly what happened. But I know you knew this.
Thanks.

I'm guessing the other guy won't reply then, seems their take on it was a little uninformed.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I didn't say its always's the player's fault, did I? I said that it wasn't Babcock's fault that we lost the series.

Babcock's 2nd season with the Leafs brought a last-place team to the playoffs, and the president trophy winning Capitals to a hard fought, six game series. Babcock got more out of that roster than most would have. Heck, he was widely praised by the fanbase for that exact reason.

Babcock's 3rd season with the Leafs brought the leafs to their best record in franchise history. Because of the playoff system, they were still underdogs in their series. They didn't have home ice advantage. They also couldn't contain the Bergeron line on the road. They did a much better job of containing them at home.

This season, the Leafs are on pace to beat last year's franchise best season record. The playoff story has yet to be written.

The Leafs have done nothing but improve under Babcock's coaching. Its absurd how this fanbase has turned on him so quickly.
Just an FYI his best coaching job may have been finishing last. With the help off our GM. Hell we even benched Kadri for a few games to help the tank.

My concern with Babs is his relationship with Mathews. It is very easy to see it is not good.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yes he has put Nylander in the box to serve penalties but never Mathews before and he was totally shocked and not happy. The list you just posted above all played on the PK most of their carrers. I can not go back and check but unless they played for Scotty Bowman then not very likely they served bench Minors.
Babs does everything for a reason. I will find out too on Saturday night from Paul. I think Dice is right. I think Babs was pissed at his lazy play and wanted to give him a message. Babs is of that ilk. I am not sure but I would wager a bet Dice is right.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
People like to blame coaches for TMM penalties, even though it's generally not on coaches at all.

In minor hockey when they are the ones opening and closing gates for the young players, sure, and maybe that's where this comes from, people's minor hockey history?

In the NHL, Babcock taps on the shoulder/yells at who is going out next, and they watch their guy and jumps over for the change.

Somehow a guy jumping on, and the skater that is changing plays the puck, is Babcock's fault :dunno:
I certainly don't think Babcock is a perfect Coach but if you're going to hold something against him it should at least be somewhat within reason.

Reactions: diceman934

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Blaming a coach for a too-many-men penalty is absurd. It wasn't the coach that stepped onto the ice early.

Babcock is also not getting paid 8 million, by the way. Not even close.

6 million US is basically 8 million Canadian

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

Babcock coaches on the edge with set interference and players stepping on the ice way earlier then the player coming off. He’s last in the league in winning challenges and leafs are one of the most penalized too many men penalties in the league.

Clown of a coach.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Dude kids are jumping the board by peewee now some even in atom. It is always the coach fault.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I expected to be way above where we are with this roster. Not behind Boston without home ice for the playoffs again.

I agree with you. This team is underachieving.

As far as I'm concerned the regular season is a seeding tournament for the playoffs.

The playoffs are where boys turn into men.

The playoffs are where legends are made.

Cup or bust. The bar is high.

Boston has points in 17 straight games and Tampa had a stretch where they went something like 15-1-2, to put it in context, before Boston went on this ridiculous point stretch, they were 17 points back of Tampa, they are still 17 points back of Tampa.

You are underestimating how good of a team Boston is.

If you look at the top 4 teams in the league its, Tampa Bay (106 points), Calgary (89 points), Boston (89 points), Toronto (87 points - 2 points back of Calgary and Boston), 3 of the top 4 teams in hockey are in our division. We are one of 2 teams to have more than 40 ROW. Our team is exactly where it should be and we are having a great season, there is nothing preventing us from making up 3 points in our final 15 games.

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Babcock coaches on the edge with set interference and players stepping on the ice way earlier then the player coming off. He’s last in the league in winning challenges and leafs are one of the most penalized too many men penalties in the league.

Clown of a coach.
If you can't answer a question you should just say you don't know.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Blaming a coach for a too-many-men penalty is absurd. It wasn't the coach that stepped onto the ice early.

Babcock is also not getting paid 8 million, by the way. Not even close.

Fair or not , is generally accepted Too Many Men is on the coach.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
If you can't answer a question you should just say you don't know.

The stats back up my claim. Last in the league in challenges won, too many men penalties, last in the league in power play opportunities etc. His system and methods are embarrassing.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Fair or not , is generally accepted Too Many Men is on the coach.

Not really. Coach tells players which line is going out next. It's on the players to know when to hop on when their guys comes off. You try to get on the ice when they are a few strides from the bench so you can get into the play but if the player coming off stops to play the puck then that's on the players. Too many Men penalties aren't on the coaches.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The stats back up my claim. Last in the league in challenges won, too many men penalties, last in the league in power play opportunities etc. His system and methods are embarrassing.

I thought it was a simple enough question.
You would have been better of just ignoring it if you had no interest in answering it.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Didn't you see Babcock whisper into the players ear "Hey, buddy... Go on the ice now, who cares if we already have five players on the ice"...?

:sarcasm:
Only coach I know that purposely put players on the ice to get to many men on the ice calls was Roger Neilson. He was a genius you can only be two man short and he delayed the game enough in the last minute to hang on to win the game. A linesman or ref has to blow the play dead when they see a team has to many men on the ice. He was already down two men so he took advantage of that rule as it was written at the time to help him win. Same as telling his goalies to leave their sticks in the crease length wide when he pulled them stopped pucks from going into the net that were on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad