Post-Game Talk: YA BLEW IT | Leafs lose 3-2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Who is saying trade him in order to keep another ? I'd trade Kappy for Hamilton or Parayko straight up but doubt Canes/Blues do. Hopefully once Babs puts Nylander back with Matthews that changes the landscape. Right now Nylander is a soft, one dimensional player that is producing at the same rate as Tyler Ennis. We need more from him plain and simple. No more excuses.
Clearly you haven't been watching. This is the same lazy critique he's had his entire time here despite the opposite being true this season. Maybe he's been soft in the past but he's competing for pucks more than a lot of guys on the team right now. His lack of points is entirely because he doesn't have decent pp time or linemates.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Have to agree. Matthews isn't being punished by serving the penalty.
Well he was not happy to go there. I watched his reaction and it is the first time he has been asked to serve the bench Minor. Add that with his needless comments about how Mathews will have to play harder if he was playing with Marner and there is a lot going on here. Then the game against Calgary and his line just got on the ice and Calgary has iced the puck and he sends JT line over the boards. The look on Mathews faces was not good. Then Babs came to talk to him about it and Mathews was not having anything to do with it.

I hope I am wrong but do not think so.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
How do you know Matthews clearly did mind?
I know Marner has served in the past, before he started to PK. I don't recall who else has sat there this season.
Marner did not mind. Ovi does not mind. Mathews clearly did and was tapped to go serve the penalty and he looked upset. If you are putting a star in the box you have asked them before hand unless you are pissed at them and send them to the box.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Clearly you haven't been watching. This is the same lazy critique he's had his entire time here despite the opposite being true this season. Maybe he's been soft in the past but he's competing for pucks more than a lot of guys on the team right now. His lack of points is entirely because he doesn't have decent pp time or linemates.

Debatable 5v5 but I will side with you given that Brown seams to treat pucks like grenades these days and Marleau is past his due date. However one could argue that he is playing against 3rd line players. Babs needs to put him back with Matthews and keep him there. It is sink or swim for this cast now. Results will dictate what Dubas does in the offseason.

Reactions: Cobra777

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I still don't understand this narrative. If this were to be true, why has Marleau been outproducing him the past few weeks (or at the very least matching)?
Why did Kadri produce better production with similar quality linemates?

All I see in posts like this are people trying to deflect the blame from Nylander for his mediocre performances.

Reactions: HouseofBuggins

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well he was not happy to go there. I watched his reaction and it is the first time he has been asked to serve the bench Minor. Add that with his needless comments about how Mathews will have to play harder if he was playing with Marner and there is a lot going on here. Then the game against Calgary and his line just got on the ice and Calgary has iced the puck and he sends JT line over the boards. The look on Mathews faces was not good. Then Babs came to talk to him about it and Mathews was not having anything to do with it.

I hope I am wrong but do not think so.
Yeah I know there has been something between them for quite a while now.
I'd like to believe that serving the penalty didn't have anything to do with that.
Having dinner with my guy in the know tomorrow night. I'll see what he's heard.

Reactions: diceman934

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I am a Dubas fan lmfao. That doesn't change the fact that the Matthews contract is an abomination and it might even cost us a cup if we end up losing guys like Gardiner, Kapanen, Johnsson, etc due to the cap and he doesn't pick it up.

Sorry but maybe the difference here is he signed that deal, he is being held to the standard of being the highest paid player in the league (given his contract structure and term valuation) when he hasn't even been a top 20 player this year. Hell, he's not even been the best player on our team. Marner, JT, and Rielly have all had bigger impacts on the team this year.

Expectations are a lot higher. I see another ghost performance in the playoffs from him coming.

His points per game is above JT and just below Marner, while not playing with anything close to as good of line mates.

I guess him being injured counts as him not caring or being engaged.

He was paid a contract that is fair for a generational player which is what he is.

Matthews is the best player on the team without a doubt, not saying I don't like Marner and JT etc.

The only reason he isn't a top 20 player in the league is because he hasn't played a full season.

Pretty funny how much posters take a 180 when a played doesn't have his best game of the year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner did not mind. Ovi does not mind. Mathews clearly did and was tapped to go serve the penalty and he looked upset. If you are putting a star in the box you have asked them before hand unless you are pissed at them and send them to the box.

Wrong. Most good coaches put stars in the box to hope and spring them at the end of the 2m. It's been done for like 60 years. Coaches dont ask crap like that, you never coached eh.

He is the coach, he puts players where he needs them and if Matthews had a problem, the leafs have a problem and that problem is Matthews.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Yeah I know there has been something between them for quite a while now.
I'd like to believe that serving the penalty didn't have anything to do with that.
Having dinner with my guy in the know tomorrow night. I'll see what he's heard.

JT has served bench minors for the Leafs only a couple games ago so if Matthews is going to get bent out shape about a little thing like that then I say move him because you don't win with players like that.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Still 4th. On pace for the best season in Team History.

Posters love to avoid facts when they don't help their viewpoint.
It's just funny that 2 points out of second ovetall in the whole league is not near as good as where we should be? :laugh: Nobody should be surprised with Tampa and we were never going to be where they are.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Before this game we were 4th overall in the entire league. Where exactly did you expect us?

I was hoping for a substantial improvement on last year's 105 points. I thought we could challenge TB for 1st overall but they're unreal good this season so not complaining about them being ahead of us. I'm not sure we should be content being as far behind them as we are though, I thought we'd get something like 110-115 points (which is where the 2nd-4th overall teams were at last season). Don't get me wrong, we're still a very good team, I just thought we'd be better. Whatever, if we beat Boston in the playoffs I will have zero complaints.

Reactions: dsred

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
It's just funny that 2 points out of second ovetall in the whole league is not near as good as where we should be? :laugh: Nobody should be surprised with Tampa and we were never going to be where they are.

But they lost last night. Doesn't that drop them 20 points down the standings ? :laugh:

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I was hoping for a substantial improvement on last year's 105 points. I thought we could challenge TB for 1st overall but they're unreal good this season so not complaining about them being ahead of us. I'm not sure we should be content being as far behind them as we are though, I thought we'd get something like 110-115 points (which is where the 2nd-4th overall teams were at last season). Don't get me wrong, we're still a very good team, I just thought we'd be better. Whatever, if we beat Boston in the playoffs I will have zero complaints.
Cmon they were never going to be with Tampa. Not with that complete team. Despite us getting hyped I never thought we'd finish ahead of Tampa and I'm happy to compete for second overall in the entire league. We're on pace for nearly 107 points..

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Wrong. Most good coaches put stars in the box to hope and spring them at the end of the 2m. It's been done for like 60 years. Coaches dont ask crap like that, you never coached eh.

He is the coach, he puts players where he needs them and if Matthews had a problem, the leafs have a problem and that problem is Matthews.
I have earned lots of money coaching and I have played the game and they most certainly would ask star players if they mind before having serve a penalty. Coaches will put a player in to serve a penalty if they are pissed at them. Most good coaches do not put a star player in the box to serve penalties Ovi is the exception. Do you know why they do not?

It had been done for 60 years. Lol. Please tell me you saw Wayne Gretzky serving bench Minors or Messier or hell any star players. Ovi is the only current one who does it all the time. Kessel did it here but Wilson did not like him as it was a punishment. He also put Kadri in the box.

Why has Nylander not been chosen to serve these bench Minors or Kadri?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Still 4th. On pace for the best season in Team History.

Posters love to avoid facts when they don't help their viewpoint.

Just curious, best season in what way? Total points sure, but not sure how impressive that is considering how short the seasons used to be and how bad we've been over the last few decades. I think you'd have to look at winning percentage in order for it to have any meaning at all. What about it, are we on pace to havr best winning percentage ever? I doubt it but even if that was the case, TBH I don't see how it means very much, we're not competing against teams in our past, our main competitors are BOS and TB.

It seems like you're happy with where we are, hey that's great but if you were asked at the start of the season if you'd be happy at this point being in 3rd place behind Boston and miles behind TB, what would you have said then? I'd have said no way would I be happy with that, we should at least be ahead of Boston for sure but hey, that's me.

Reactions: dsred and SAMCRO44

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Cmon they were never going to be with Tampa. Not with that complete team. Despite us getting hyped I never thought we'd finish ahead of Tampa and I'm happy to compete for second overall in the entire league. We're on pace for nearly 107 points..

I did the math earlier today and it came to 106 point something but less than 106.5 so rounding down is what is typically done. But OK, 106 is nearly 107 so have it your way. TB is on pace for 130 points BTW, maybe you didn't think we'd finish ahead of them but did you think we'd be 24 points behind them?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I have earned lots of money coaching and I have played the game and they most certainly would ask star players if they mind before having serve a penalty. Coaches will put a player in to serve a penalty if they are pissed at them. Most good coaches do not put a star player in the box to serve penalties Ovi is the exception. Do you know why they do not?

It had been done for 60 years. Lol. Please tell me you saw Wayne Gretzky serving bench Minors or Messier or hell any star players. Ovi is the only current one who does it all the time. Kessel did it here but Wilson did not like him as it was a punishment. He also put Kadri in the box.

Why has Nylander not been chosen to serve these bench Minors or Kadri?

He has put Nylander and Kappy in there before he used him for the PK. A fast player is ideal for springing and I have seen, Yzerman, Perry, Getz, Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby, Fedorov, Iginla, Sundin serve bench minors. More, it's usually good players that don't kill penalties. Been that way forever.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
On pace, regular season point totals, top 4-5 in the whole league.....all means nothing if you go out early in the playoffs
I remember when Sens fans used to talk smack during the regular season only to lose to us every year in the playoffs

Reactions: dsred

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Said the Leafs 4th line will get "punched in the face by Boston"
I have stopped paying attention to this clown, but when I heard him say that I was shaking my head in disappointment. He will never change. Such an unacceptable thing to say. I wonder what he was saying when the Sedin twin was being ragdolled by Marchand all those years ago.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I did the math earlier today and it came to 106 point something but less than 106.5 so rounding down is what is typically done. But OK, 106 is nearly 107 so have it your way. TB is on pace for 130 points BTW, maybe you didn't think we'd finish ahead of them but did you think we'd be 24 points behind them?
You're literally arguing over 1 point. It was 106.47 so yes nearly rounded to 107. Regardless, it's amazing at the expectations by some people. I didn't but Tampa is having one of the best seasons in NHL history. We are nearly second overall in the whole league and that's not near good enough? Amazing.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
It really is remarkable.
He's starting to look like a player who will be out of the league before long.
He’s starting to look like a player who knows the only way he can stay in the lineup is by checking all the “Babcock’s biases” boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad