Post-Game Talk: YA BLEW IT | Leafs lose 3-2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He has put Nylander and Kappy in there before he used him for the PK. A fast player is ideal for springing and I have seen, Yzerman, Perry, Getz, Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby, Fedorov, Iginla, Sundin serve bench minors. More, it's usually good players that don't kill penalties. Been that way forever.
Yes he has put Nylander in the box to serve penalties but never Mathews before and he was totally shocked and not happy. The list you just posted above all played on the PK most of their carrers. I can not go back and check but unless they played for Scotty Bowman then not very likely they served bench Minors.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
His points per game is above JT and just below Marner, while not playing with anything close to as good of line mates.

I guess him being injured counts as him not caring or being engaged.

He was paid a contract that is fair for a generational player which is what he is.

Matthews is the best player on the team without a doubt, not saying I don't like Marner and JT etc.

The only reason he isn't a top 20 player in the league is because he hasn't played a full season.

Pretty funny how much posters take a 180 when a played doesn't have his best game of the year.

Every single time people bring up his stat line. Yawn at this point. It's been addressed. no one is talking about that.

Also LOL at him being a generational player. Oof.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You're literally arguing over 1 point. It was 106.47 so yes nearly rounded to 107.

I'm a fan of accuracy. It seems like whenever someone shades things ever so slightly to one side, it's always towards the side that they're arguing. Not saying that's what you did but it so often happens so the thought did cross my mind.

I didn't but Tampa is having one of the best seasons in NHL history. We are nearly second overall in the whole league and that's not near good enough? Amazing.

Nearly 107 points. Nearly second overall. Hey we nearly beat Boston last year in the playoffs too, ain't life grand?

Seriously though, I'm not saying it's "not good enough", I just said I thought we could do better. Maybe I like to set the bar higher than you do so shoot me. I don't think expecting 113 points or so was hoping for too much, after all we added Tavares and have a young team that should be improving so why shouldn't we be better? I also said that if we beat Boston in the playoffs I'll be happy, is that fair?

I'm starting to think Zeke is on to something, we might do better with a different coach.

Reactions: weems and dsred

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You're literally arguing over 1 point. It was 106.47 so yes nearly rounded to 107. Regardless, it's amazing at the expectations by some people. I didn't but Tampa is having one of the best seasons in NHL history. We are nearly second overall in the whole league and that's not near good enough? Amazing.

We are where we are on talent alone. I thought we'd be much more structured by now. I have huge problems with our 8m coach.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
You're literally arguing over 1 point. It was 106.47 so yes nearly rounded to 107. Regardless, it's amazing at the expectations by some people. I didn't but Tampa is having one of the best seasons in NHL history. We are nearly second overall in the whole league and that's not near good enough? Amazing.

This team is inconsistent.

It's like they have a light switch. Turn it on and they look unstoppable.
However, when it's off, they really look disengaged

We are all glad they are doing well, but if you think we are playing our best hockey right now, we are in trouble in the Playoffs. Who on the Leafs is playing their best hockey right now maybe besides JT and Mitch?

This team could be better, I have no doubts.
Doesn't matter that we are 2 points out of 2nd in the NHL, boatloads of room to improve. Starting with consistency.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I don't know what that means.
I mean the way he plays now is like he’s knows the only reason he’s still in the lineup is because Babs likes him, rather than merit. More of a joke than anything because I have no way of actually reading a guys mind lol

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm a fan of accuracy. It seems like whenever someone shades things ever so slightly to one side, it's always towards the side that they're arguing. Not saying that's what you did but it so often happens so the thought did cross my mind.

Nearly 107 points. Nearly second overall. Hey we nearly beat Boston last year in the playoffs too, ain't life grand?

Seriously though, I'm not saying it's "not good enough", I just said I thought we could do better. Maybe I like to set the bar higher than you do so shoot me. I don't think expecting 113 points or so was hoping for too much, after all we added Tavares and have a young team that should be improving so why shouldn't we be better? I also said that if we beat Boston in the playoffs I'll be happy, is that fair?

I'm starting to think Zeke is on to something, we might do better with a different coach.
I expected to be way above where we are with this roster. Not behind Boston without home ice for the playoffs again.

I agree with you. This team is underachieving.

As far as I'm concerned the regular season is a seeding tournament for the playoffs.

The playoffs are where boys turn into men.

The playoffs are where legends are made.

Cup or bust. The bar is high.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

What better coach is out there?

Babcock is the elite of the elite. He has a .613 career winning percentage, which tops guys like Quenneville, McClellan, Yeo, etc.

I find it crazy how quick people have turned on Babcock.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
What better coach is out there?

Babcock is the elite of the elite. He has a .613 career winning percentage, which tops guys like Quenneville, McClellan, Yeo, etc.

I find it crazy how quick people have turned on Babcock.
Babcock is like the old Buffalo Bills or Minnesota Vikings. Regular Season Champ, playoff chump.

Reactions: 666

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Meh

You could see the boys weren't really engaged right from the start, we do have a tendency of playing down to our competition at times and this game was one of them

We got a point so take it move on and forget about this one, I know I will
I agree. They were not even close to matching Vancouver for intensity. Kudos to the Canucks who put in quite an effort ( I think they were raked over the coals because of their previous game, an embarrassing loss to Vegas, coach blasted them). We happened to come along at the wrong time. That plus their goalie Markstrom -who seems to always stone us.

An expected loss tonight by Montreal to SAN Jose and an expected Leaf win Saturday against Edmonton shouldvofficially seal a series with Boston, with them having home ice advantage. Playing Anderson in only half the remaining games seems to indicate management has accepted the outcome

Reactions: Kiwi

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes he has put Nylander in the box to serve penalties but never Mathews before and he was totally shocked and not happy. The list you just posted above all played on the PK most of their carrers. I can not go back and check but unless they played for Scotty Bowman then not very likely they served bench Minors.

Well I don't like whiney players. He should grow up and join the team. Sucky babies win nothing. Auston Semin Matthews should go score more, he ain't 11.6m right now.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Babcock is like the old Buffalo Bills or Minnesota Vikings. Regular Season Champ, playoff chump.

:huh:

Babcock's recent lack of playoff success has more to do with player personelle than it has to do with his coaching abilities. Even then, he has a respectable 0.554 win percentage in the playoffs... still ahead of the guys I mentioned above.

The last several years in Detroit, he had an aging team that was not build for success.

VS Washington
Leafs were severe underdogs, and brought the president trophy winning Capitals to six games. Nobody expected them to win that series.

VS Boston
Again, Leafs were underdogs, and lost the series in the 3rd period of game 7. I thought when Babcock got the matchups he wanted, the Leafs were able to do a better job of neutering the Bruin's top line. This series was not lost by coaching decisions.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Andersen can’t shut a team out and break their will at all this year, but I’m not gunna fully blame him for last night.

How about our 8 million dollar coach who takes ANOTHER too many men penalty at a critical time when Vancouver had just scored a goal to give them Moreno momentum.

Reactions: dsred

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
he was being genuine I thought
I believe he was being genuine.

It was an entertaining game and a lot of the leafs fans are overreacting. You guys have a good team with some top end talent on both offense and defense. Its possible your team isn't quite in the Stanley Cup conversation but its well on its way.

The saltiness is real for no reason.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
:huh:

Babcock's recent lack of playoff success has more to do with player personelle than it has to do with his coaching abilities. Even then, he has a respectable 0.554 win percentage in the playoffs... still ahead of the guys I mentioned above.

The last several years in Detroit, he had an aging team that was not build for success.

VS Washington
Leafs were severe underdogs, and brought the president trophy winning Capitals to six games. Nobody expected them to win that series.

VS Boston
Again, Leafs were underdogs, and lost the series in the 3rd period of game 7. I thought when Babcock got the matchups he wanted, the Leafs were able to do a better job of neutering the Bruin's top line. This series was not lost by coaching decisions.
So if it's always the player's fault, why have a coach at all? Why pay a guy the big money?

As I've repeatedly said, a great coach is a guy that gets more out his roster than the talent present suggests. He makes a team perform to be more than the sum of it's parts.

I don't believe Babcock does that anymore.

Reactions: weems and SAMCRO44

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Typical? The guy has been carrying this team and their lazy efforts for quite a while now....no way am i blaming Freddie for the team giving a half assed effort yet again. Maybe Matthews could look like he gives a ****?
I think you misunderstood. Andersen is our mvp and covers
for our deficiencies virtually every game. But when he has an off game (think game 1 and 7 of last years playoffs) he allows some real stinkers. I think he should have had all 3 goals last night and if he was on, he would have.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Andersen can’t shut a team out and break their will at all this year, but I’m not gunna fully blame him for last night.

How about our 8 million dollar coach who takes ANOTHER too many men penalty at a critical time when Vancouver had just scored a goal to give them Moreno momentum.

Blaming a coach for a too-many-men penalty is absurd. It wasn't the coach that stepped onto the ice early.

Babcock is also not getting paid 8 million, by the way. Not even close.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Well I don't like whiney players. He should grow up and join the team. Sucky babies win nothing. Auston Semin Matthews should go score more, he ain't 11.6m right now.
You are missing the point. There are two in the relationship and without judgment on who is right or wrong their is something going on here. It is a continuation of last year and seems to be affecting Mathews play. Not sure who is to blame but we need all players on board in the playoffs.

I also do not think playing Holl and our 4th line the way it was constructed last night was his idea. Then to come out and say so is a shot at Dubas. Freddy did not want to talk about the fact that his games will be limited to end the season. Lots going on and last Years season ending drama may be worse this year unless we win a couple of rounds.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He has lost a step and seems to need more rest but his mind is not an issue. His body is. Still a good skater but not as good as before. He would benifit from missing a few games down the stretch as after the break this year. He looked much better.
Yes yes yes that would really help. But he has this stupid game streak thing going on. If he did sign here for a Cup then he needs to look past the personal stuff and do what is in teams best interest.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think you misunderstood. Andersen is our mvp and covers
for our deficiencies virtually every game. But when he has an off game (think game 1 and 7 of last years playoffs) he allows some real stinkers. I think he should have had all 3 goals last night and if he was on, he would have.
Sure...and i think our offence should have scored more than 2 goals and our pathetic powerplay should quit sucking balls. I also think our goalies "bad games" happen way less frequently than the 2 problems i listed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Can you elaborate on the Too Many Men penalty? Specifically what role the Coach played in that.
Looked to me like a player was going off and changed his mind and played the puck.
It was late though so I may have seen it incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad