OT: XXII Olympic Winter Games - Sochi 2014

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Must feel nice there, game-winning goal by Jamie Benn clinches a medal for Canada! :yo:

Much like Team Russia, I expected a lot more from the Americans, who couldn't really get much going for whatever reason. :help:

Good luck against the Finns, I guess, in a game neither team wants to play.

Benn vs. Loui for gold! :handclap:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Jamie Benn has two GWG for Canada. Best Canadian forward in the tournament so far.

That's only because they forgot to bring Remi Elie ... :sarcasm:

Seriously though ... Weber or Price has to be the front runner for MVP, but say Benn pots the GWG on Sunday ... is he the MVP?

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
The U.S. simply didnt have/bring enough offensive talent to compete with Canada. Ryan, Okposo and Yandle could have been key players in a game like todays.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
That game was decided by the utterly disjointed offense of team USA. Guys were shooting at the net when there was no screen on price, and turning over the puck when there was. The handful of chances they got in net scrambles were the most promising for them in the game. I told FF that there were two conditions for team USA taking this one:

1. Johnathan Quick plays like a god
2. The US shoots and looks for rebounds to tap into the net

I thought their game plan was solid, and that it would have worked if they had executed part two. The only advantage the US had over Canada was superior goaltending. Canada was just as big and just as fast, and obviously much more skilled. With the way Quick played all it would have taken was a couple of ugly garbage goals.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The U.S. simply didnt have/bring enough offensive talent to compete with Canada. Ryan, Okposo and Yandle could have been key players in a game like todays.

They should definitely have brought Okposo, but I just don't see that they were completely outclasses this game. If anything, it's sad to see the opportunity to beat a less than stellar Canadian team wasted. It was a one goal game and the shots weren't wildly different.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
We lost because we took Oshie to the Olympics. Lie down with Oshie and get up without a gold medal.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
We lost because we took Oshie to the Olympics. Lie down with Oshie and get up without a gold medal.

I understand that Oshie was clutch for us vs Russia, but the player selection was mind boggling.

Oshie/Wheeler over Ryan?
Faulk/Martin/Orpik over Johnson/Yandle?

It's pretty disappointing.

That being said, if NHL players get to go to South Korea, our D core could be pretty good by adding Seth Jones, Trouba and any other surprises between now and then. not to mention Galchenyuk and possibly Jack Eichel, who some consider on the same tier as Connor McDavid.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Benn snubbing Perry after the goal was the best part.. Now Sweden needs to seal the deal to make me some much-needed cash..

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I understand that Oshie was clutch for us vs Russia, but the player selection was mind boggling.

Oshie/Wheeler over Ryan?
Faulk/Martin/Orpik over Johnson/Yandle?

It's pretty disappointing.

That being said, if NHL players get to go to South Korea, our D core could be pretty good by adding Seth Jones, Trouba and any other surprises between now and then. not to mention Galchenyuk and possibly Jack Eichel, who some consider on the same tier as Connor McDavid.

Plus he went to North Dakota. He actually chose to go there.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd love nothing more than to see the American's run Rask out of the net. These NBC guys have a hard on to trash Lehtonen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad