OT: XXII Olympic Winter Games - Sochi 2014

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Lots of growth for Benn this year with the 'C' and now the Gold. Good on him, and great that he will be bringing this experience back to lead the Stars this season and well beyond!

MetalGodAOD*

I think this means Benn will be a playoff beast once we finally get back there. ;) Also Ruff might consider using Benn on the PK more after this game lol.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Great win today. Now I think im going to stay off the main boards for a few days and avoid the inevitable horrible threads that will be popping up soon enough

KriminellPipa

Jul 1, 2013
I'd say Benn was one of the better players for Team Canada throughout the whole tournament. Perfect experience for him.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Benn was being used more and more as the game went on last night. He was one of the best players on the ice in that gold medal game and in the tournament as a whole. His impact was noticeable often and Babcock started giving him a bigger role as things went on.

Will Benn playing PK for Team Canada help put to sleep any questions about his defensive awareness/abilities?

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
Yeah Ja.Benn could play on our PK, but we have a team full of Penalty Killers.

Garbutt, Eakin, Peverely, Eakin, Roussel, and Fiddler.

Jamie should be resting when we are killing penalties. I do agree he looked awesome killing Penalties but I trust those guys up there.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Hopefully Stars fans at our next home game give Benn (along with Kari and Ruff) a nice standing ovation for their accomplishment. They deserve it.

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
Hopefully Stars fans at our next home game give Benn (along with Kari and Ruff) a nice standing ovation for their accomplishment. They deserve it.

Would be shocked if there isn't a jumbotron acknowledgement for them Thursday night

piqued

easy game
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah Ja.Benn could play on our PK, but we have a team full of Penalty Killers.

Garbutt, Eakin, Peverely, Eakin, Roussel, and Fiddler.

Jamie should be resting when we are killing penalties. I do agree he looked awesome killing Penalties but I trust those guys up there.
And Benn is arguably better than all of them at PKing. He plays the 78th most even strength minutes per game amongst forwards in the league and 65th most in total minutes per game. Giving him some more PK time isn't going to wear him out, in fact it might energize him.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
And Benn is arguably better than all of them at PKing. He plays the 78th most even strength minutes per game amongst forwards in the league and 65th most in total minutes per game. Giving him some more PK time isn't going to wear him out, in fact it might energize him.

You beat me to it.

I really hate the "he needs to rest" argument about not using your best players on the PK. The team is better when your best penalty killers kill penalties. Datysuk, Zetterberg, Bergeron, Loui, Morrow (even during his career year), Modano, Thornton, Marleau, Kopitar, and the list goes on for ages. A lot of guys are more in tune with the game when they don't have to miss a shift due to penalties.

Ruff was giving him more PK time before the break too, which happened to coincide with Benn getting out of his slump.

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
Uhh why wouldn't they? I wouldn't even bother going if I was a coach and there was no chance of getting a medal.

Because they aren't athletes and they aren't competing. But the "why" is irrelevant here, the fact is that coaches do not get medals at the Olympics.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Somebody should update Herb Brooks' wiki page. Among his career accomplishments he is credited with a gold medal in 1980 and a silver in 2002.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->