OT: XXII Olympic Winter Games - Sochi 2014

MetalGodAOD*

I think in general people always want to look for answers where there are none. That's the way it goes with one-game elimination tournaments. America played awesome for pretty much every game, but maybe the schedule caught up with them or maybe they just had an off day. If Canada loses to Sweden, all the Canadians on HF will be talking very much the same way the Americans are today. But if we win, even in a 1-0 nail biter, we will talk for years about how good Hockey Canada operations are etc etc, "remember how we did it in 2014, not picking Giroux, etc" and that one win will somehow justify all the psudeo-hockey science that everyone loves to talk about. That's not saying that American couldnt have done things different or picked better players, but its also sort of a crap shoot. Look at all the great players on both teams who didnt do squat for most of the two week stretch. If Benn doesn't score that goal and if America popped in one of their chances, it would be a totally different story today.

Great post. Single elimination tournaments are too much based on luck and having a hot goalie night. Really doesn't deserve all the hand-wringing and hindsight discussion that losses devolves into.

Anyways, grats to Kari. Was nice seeing Teemu give Jere a hug near the end there as well.

MetalGodAOD*

Did you guys see how happy Kari was when he got his Bronze medal?? It definitely put a smile on my face, he deserves it.

Does anyone have a video of the bronze ceremony? NBC cut away like the idiots they are.

piqued

easy game
Nov 22, 2006
Great post. Single elimination tournaments are too much based on luck and having a hot goalie night. Really doesn't deserve all the hand-wringing and hindsight discussion that losses devolves into.
I'm not buying this. The luck thing, again, is a cop-out. You think the people in charge of these programs are going to blame luck? Hot goalies can occasionally make the difference, but that's rare. The US didn't lose because Price was better than Quick. They lost because they were outplayed top to bottom. Blaming a bad game or playing the single elimination card is pointless, every single American player had to suspect in the back of their mind that they'd be facing Canada at some point in just such a situation and prepare accordingly. The US was overmatched in Vancouver as well but there's no question they gave a better effort in that game. On the big ice there's no excuse for not packing the team as full of talent as possible.

MetalGodAOD*

I'm not buying this. The luck thing, again, is a cop-out. You think the people in charge of these programs are going to blame luck? Hot goalies can occasionally make the difference, but that's rare. The US didn't lose because Price was better than Quick. They lost because they were outplayed top to bottom. Blaming a bad game or playing the single elimination card is pointless, every single American player had to suspect in the back of their mind that they'd be facing Canada at some point in just such a situation and prepare accordingly. The US was overmatched in Vancouver as well but there's no question they gave a better effort in that game. On the big ice there's no excuse for not packing the team as full of talent as possible.

I don't think they didn't prepare accordingly. A 1-0 game where each side trades huge chances but one breaks through isn't being massively outplayed. Today's game against Finland, how often does Kane miss two penalty shots? Or that huge netmouth scramble near the beginning of the game where Rask kept it out? Any of those go in and you have a different game.

Hockey is such a game of inches and anything can happen in a single game. It's silly to say an entire team is fundamentally flawed at the core because they didn't win a 1-0 game where chances were pretty equal. It's like saying the winner of Game 1 each series in the playoff is the better team. The NHL season being 82 games usually separates out the teams who are clearly above the other, same with a 7 game playoff series. A single elimination game just doesn't tell you enough to say the entire team was fundamentally flawed to the core.

You think the people in charge of these programs are going to blame luck?

Of course they won't, but maybe they should consider it. Should Washington have started trapping the season after running into a hot Halak? You can argue knee jerk reactions to these kinds of situations can do more harm than good. Not like it matters since it's 4 years away and we may not even go in 2018, however.

Youtube would be your best bet, but I wouldn't count on it.

edit:

Guess you're in luck!

You rock, thanks!

Brand New Stars

They actually got the order right on the names, the announcer was just late.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
BhHVHEhCUAETE_B.jpg

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
They called the wrong name for Kari and Niemi :lol:

They got it wrong because Barkov (#16) wasn't there to receive his medal and nobody was in his place to get the medal. So after Ruutu (#15), all the names were called one guy late, until the announcer realized it while reading names for Hietanen and Rask.

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
In 2018 they should send people who can spell intense.

But seriously, Team USA was missing Playmaker/Power Forward types, mainly Power Forwards.

Obviously against Canada that was what was lacking, JVR did good but those D-Pairs on Team Canada demanded a true POWER Foward on every line, Parise did nothing.

Team Canada is full of Power Forwards ala Ja.Benn, Getzlaf, Nash, and I consider Crosby a Power Forward with Playmaker ability and every other ability.

The fact is USA still lacks true elite class forward ability, especially if they are inspired like against Finland.

Drunk as ffff

Last edited:

MetalGodAOD*

Playmakers maybe , but Parise Callahan Backes are all true power forwards.

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
******* *******, I thought I wouldn't have to listen to all the Crosb is a leader BS and whatnot for the next four years, but seems like that will happen again...

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
It would be nice to see Babcock use Benn on the PP once in a while. However, it is encouraging that Benn has been trusted with occasional PK time.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
******* *******, I thought I wouldn't have to listen to all the Crosb is a leader BS and whatnot for the next four years, but seems like that will happen again...

I would imagine even the most hardened Crosby purists will concede the fact that he wasn't Canada's best player in this tourney.

At least....I hope so. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad