Speculation: Xcel Energy Center - Upgrades/Updates + Arena Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildFinn*

The Wild really needs to do something about the crowd. There has to be some way to train the season ticket holders to get loud and passionate.

Do people get crazy at Gophers or high school games?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
There is a problem with the crowd sitting like in a church, the team should also show more intensity, maybe that will win people over?

First issue is that in the last 5 years I've noticed how much more "corporate" it has become inside that building. Way too many of the tickets are business owned (tax write off I'm sure) and used for that aspect of it. The other half of people who got the tickets for free and I hear them talking about what has gone on throughout their day or whatever the hell else is going on instead of watching the game.

Hell, there are 2 season tickets right next to me, no one has sat in them but the last two games. Both those games (young 20's couple) they don't get up to cheer and they don't even watch the game but play on their phones instead. Same thing with the ones in front of me.

The Wild really needs to do something about the crowd. There has to be some way to train the season ticket holders to get loud and passionate.

See above my friend. Those of us who do cheer and get loud always get glared at by soccer moms and dancer dads because their precious little child is trying to eat their $20 thing of nachos in a helmet while they drink their sorrows away in peace.

I've been to 18 of the arenas, of those places like Chicago and New York were party central during the games. People were there to watch the game and they cheered like it was the only game of the season they were going to. Here it is completely opposite. This is a spectator sport in the eyes of the majority of fans and they do not want to interfere with someone els's enjoyment. Much like you would at a movie theater.

Doesn't help either, I think they've sold out maybe 4 games this season

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Do people get crazy at Gophers or high school games?

College and High School you have student sections that lead in on chants that typically everyone else follows suit with. For the Wild you get the occasional "lets go wild" chant from some 5 year old or someone (my friend last night) who starts that stupid ass wave.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I'm a STH and consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable about the game. 28 years old, played the game my whole life, yada yada yada. I'm (we're) not vocal. Don't care either way either if the building has chants/whatever going during the play. I prefer to sit back, watch what's developing and that's about it.

I'll stand up and clap for goals and say damnit to myself in my head for a goal against or call that goes against the Wild. But I'll never be one to do any more than that, let alone pine for something more from the crowd...

*shrug

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
They need to go old school for the Wild. Classic organist, Good REAL music, new powerplay intro, keep it simple.

Also wouldn't mind some things that can get the crowd more into the game, the fans aren't the same as they were 5 years ago.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Just went to see two Wild games. Got dragged by 2 Leafs fans to go see the Leafs and the Panthers and I had a great time. I've Been to a few Wild home games in the past and I have always been impressed with the arena. It's been my favorite arena that I've been to. And I swear the pulled pork sandwiches aren't as big/good as they once were.

The Wild's theme song is kind of embarrassing :laugh:. Oh.. and the scalper that tried to claim the Panthers game was going to be the game of the year really made me laugh.

$8 beers is depressing.

Mikke Koivu really surprised me, he played very well.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Just went to see two Wild games. Got dragged by 2 Leafs fans to go see the Leafs and the Panthers and I had a great time. I've Been to a few Wild home games in the past and I have always been impressed with the arena. It's been my favorite arena that I've been to. And I swear the pulled pork sandwiches aren't as big/good as they once were.

The Wild's theme song is kind of embarrassing :laugh:. Oh.. and the scalper that tried to claim the Panthers game was going to be the game of the year really made me laugh.

$8 beers is depressing.

Mikke Koivu really surprised me, he played very well.

If you're talking about this

I will find you and I will hurt you.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
BigT wrote exactly how i feel at wild games, granted im just like Providence now, i put all my focus on the game, and cheer and clap when we score thats it. I don't get drunk & loud cause i dont want to be the one in my section that everyone is annoyed with? the ****. I have fun either way, but i'd prob have more fun if i did get drunk & loud & didn't feel like i would be that ******* that everyone in my section wants to tell to shut the **** up or mind my language cause theres a family of 5 with three 4 year old boys right next to me... but hey i still have some fun, just not enough to want me to go to more than a few games a year. would rather watch the game at home.

i still will not participate in the wave. never did since my first game ever, never will.

Last edited:

Antsman41

Quack, Quack, Quack!
Aug 12, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
1. HD Screens

2. Music; I'm sick of the top 40s pop/rap/faux rock. Give us more local bands (TBT, Prince, Polica, Gayngs, etc), indie rock, 90's grunge, 80's new wave/dance/alternative (REM, Bruce, Cure), 70's rock... Stop with the Lady What Babies Say, Fergie, and Audioslave crap.

3. Staff more aisle watcher guys, I miss when the idiots who got up during play were reprimanded and told to sit. WATCH THE GAME!

4. More interesting intermission events, last few games I've seen were all rehashed. While we'd go to 20+ games during each if the first 6 seasons and not see much repetition.

5. Have more events tied into local history; Mighty Ducks, Gophers (etc.), North Stars.

6. Paint the hallways, replace bathroom stuff, etc.

7. Drinks at lower costs, create a limit (too many belligerent drunks), better average food, etc.

8. Fix the temps, too cold in the upper decks... This is professional hockey. I feel the Shwann's Super Rink is warmer in the middle of December.

9. Don't jack ticket prices just because we squeaked into the playoffs the previous season.

10. Delete Nordy from the face of the earth.

Bonus; Make a law... If your child is younger than 10, you should be watching them

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm a STH and consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable about the game. 28 years old, played the game my whole life, yada yada yada. I'm (we're) not vocal. Don't care either way either if the building has chants/whatever going during the play. I prefer to sit back, watch what's developing and that's about it.

I'll stand up and clap for goals and say damnit to myself in my head for a goal against or call that goes against the Wild. But I'll never be one to do any more than that, let alone pine for something more from the crowd...

*shrug

I am the same as you in regards to watching the game. I say stuff under my breath or just loud enough (if its something funny) that the people around me can hear it but nothing obnoxious. The only issue I have with it insanely quiet is they blast that "louder" music so loud to try to get the crowd into it, and then they turn it off and it goes right back to silence.

You want it loud? Cheap booze is the answer. :laugh:

That will never happen I'm afraid. Bad enough it went up .50 from last year

I think I suggested Dollar Beer night a while ago.

Open the doors early. Have some kind of act on the ice to entertain people while they get all nice and liquored up.

They have discussed it through the STH program about doing this kind of thing. The issue is I can walk to Eagle and get 2-for-1's before the game and in between periods and won't pay nearly as much as it would if I had even bought 2 drinks in the arena. It is absurd and I'm 100% done buying drinks in that place.

1. HD Screens

2. Music; I'm sick of the top 40s pop/rap/faux rock. Give us more local bands (TBT, Prince, Polica, Gayngs, etc), indie rock, 90's grunge, 80's new wave/dance/alternative (REM, Bruce, Cure), 70's rock... Stop with the Lady What Babies Say, Fergie, and Audioslave crap.

3. Staff more aisle watcher guys, I miss when the idiots who got up during play were reprimanded and told to sit. WATCH THE GAME!

4. More interesting intermission events, last few games I've seen were all rehashed. While we'd go to 20+ games during each if the first 6 seasons and not see much repetition.

5. Have more events tied into local history; Mighty Ducks, Gophers (etc.), North Stars.

7. Drinks at lower costs, create a limit (too many belligerent drunks), better average food, etc.

8. Fix the temps, too cold in the upper decks... This is professional hockey. I feel the Shwann's Super Rink is warmer in the middle of December.

9. Don't jack ticket prices just because we squeaked into the playoffs the previous season.

Bonus; Make a law... If your child is younger than 10, you should be watching them

1. Yes...and they need something way bigger than what is in there
2. You cannot appease the masses. According to the STH survey the three main choices people wanted were Classic Rock, Rap, and Current Rock. Hence why you are hearing that moreso than anything else this year. I'm at least happy they at least have more than 10 songs on rotation.
3. Gone are those days, I self police though. Worst offender was the camera chick and the guy with the "ABC" signs for one of the TV timeout games. They sat in the aisle for the first 10 minutes of the 2nd period. So everyone coming down and going up got stuck because they were in the way.
4. I agree they have gotten lazy with it. But I'm not at the game for that junk. Would be nice if they gave away hockey stuff from the team instead of some of the other junk. But sponsors are sponsors I spose.
5. While it is history for us, the team's history does not involve any of that stuff.
6. What color for the hallways? IMO we have probably the best hallways of all the places I've been. And replace the bathrooms with what? The only thing I want for the bathrooms is someone at one of the ends enforcing the "one line" rule to get into the bathrooms. Annoyed doesn't do it justice when I see some corporate ****** walk in from the other side to avoid the line and cut right in.
7. They will not lower costs and alcohol is already limited to 2 per person. They have the right to cut people off, but that is where they are making their $$. Have yet to run into someone blasted at the hockey game though.
8. Indifferent
9. Nature of the beast. We are still on the cheaper end of the spectrum too IIRC.
10. Agreed

I will add this though: make a section on the lower corner and upper corner respectively and make it alcohol-free zones. Put the kids birthday parties and the rest of the people who think alcohol is the devil there and get it over with.

faribogopherguy

Mar 30, 2012
1. HD Screens

1. Amen to that. I was hoping when the Vikings bill passed, there would be some money thrown to St. Paul to replace the scoreboard but in the end it went to debt relief for the Arena.

2. I don't have any issues with the music. Matter of fact, I look forward to the nightly doses of Rocksugar (look them up if you don't know who they are). I would like a an on site organist and an organ that would at least rival the one at United Center.

3. There still needs to be more education to fans as to when to leave and return to your seats. I've seen it in Sioux Falls where ushers hold up little stop signs until there is a stoppage.

4. I don't pay much attention to the intermission stuff. I would prefer more out of town highlights than what they do now. When there was Club 216, I never saw any of the intermissions, so it hasn't grown old on me yet.

5. I think they have done more than enough stuff to tie in local history to the team.

6. General maintenance. I do know they often run out of towels in the mens bathroom. Maybe a text code above the towel dispenser to send to alert staff that they need more towels?

7. Drinks will never see a price decrease. I see they do a pregame "happy hour", but I think they bust out the smaller cups for cheap beer. They are doing a better job of adding variety to the menu after Target Field raised the bar. I would like to see a St. Paul feel to the food selections. Mancini's sold a great steak sandwich at the State Fair. Savoy's Pizza would be awesome to have.

8. Agreed. There are drafty areas of the arena. One year we had tix in 203 and pretty much dressed for winter even in the arena.

9. Ticket prices are going to go up until people stop paying for them. I think you've seen the Wild already have to do stuff like more agressively market nightly ticket deals with Military, Student, Dairy Queen ticket packages. Don't be surprised if they do the Holiday Stocking thing filled with ticket BOGO's for the rest of the season.

10. Seriously, what the heck is everyone's problem with Nordy? Take a walk around the concourse before the game. He is mobbed by families wanting pictures with their kids. Better yet, take a young kid to a game and see the look in his eyes when he gets to see Nordy up close. I doubt anyone has ever gone home from a game and said, "you know, I would've had a good time tonight, the Wild won and everything, but having a person in a costume entertaining young fans really ruined the experience for me". For the team, having Nordy has provided a great option to reach out with the community. Who do you think kids at elementary schools and childrens hospitals would rather see? Brad Bombardir, or Nordy? Not even close.

I get it, we never had a mascot with the North Stars. I know, I was there, and I was cynical of Nordy at first but seeing him interacting with fans, I see him in an entirely new light.

Russo was on KFAN this morning talking about crowds. He said the crowds in Minnesota are more like the Toronto crowds. They're more into actually watching and observing a game and cheering when the play on the ice warrants it, not yelling for any and every thing like some rabid fan bases tend to. Put me in the category of the observers. I already pay a bunch for tickets without buying booze and getting so into making noise that I don't even remember much of the game.

Last edited:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
1. HD Screens

2. I agree that the music sucks big time. Prince yes, TBT maybe, but with Polica and Gayngs there would be about 10 people in the arena who knew who they were and a lot of "what the hell is this?"

7. I can't say I've ever thought there were too many belligerent drunks at a Wild game.

8. I shivered just reading the bolded :laugh:. I had to work a few tournaments there last year and sit right on the glass for 14 or 15 hours straight. Every day I added layers but every day I froze my ass off.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
I love Nordy. He's way better than Stormy the Pig. I'm gonna take assloads of pics with Nordy if I can in January.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i vary. sometimes yelling if it's a critical time in the game or more egregious play, clap. prone to solo-clapping after a play i particularly liked that isn't really exciting to anyone else, then explaining myself to neighbors. not a booer of the home team...so really only normal speaking voice sarcasm directed at this player or that as far as negativity goes.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I really want to get some "chants" that are standard for the team/arena. I can't think of any good ones though.

I really like:
"Boo! That's was bad and you should feel bad!"
But feel it's too long and doesn't really fit a "chant".

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If it's obvious to us regular going fans, i have to think its also blatantly obvious to management, and are prob thinking of new ideas for next year or already have.

to get new chants? i would think they would have to do something on the new screens kinda like how LA does cartman with "go kings go" but i would hope it would be better than something like that.

edit: the "Lets go Wild" is DEAD, everytime i go to a game, someone tries and about half of that section joins in and dies. I hate chanting it cause it feels so old, i want something new and cooler.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
"Lets go XXXXXXX" Is a really boring chant. So is "Go XXXXXXX go".

Gotta come up with something unique.

Antsman41

Quack, Quack, Quack!
Aug 12, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
(2) On the music, that's how I feel when the top 40 stuff comes on. I'm like, "what the hell is this crap?". I honestly never knew what a Hannah Montana/Imagine Dragon/Black Eye Pea song was until the X played that junk.

-Sidenote; the musical acts are so atrocious at the X, as well. Roy makes up for it, but it's a crappy venue. Unless they're small enough for the many wonderful venues (1st Ave/Cedar/Fine Line/Amsterdam/State/Varsity) they don't come. Why doesn't the X/Target Field/TFC try harder to get great bands that play the main stage at Bonnaroo, Coachella, etc? The X has basically turned into the hit pop & country act venue with the occasional washed-up band that isn't worth seeing this far past their prime (Eagles/Rush/Billy Joel). But, the terrible Target Center [blown speakers] can pull in the occasional solid act...

(5) Our history was done well if not amazing during the first 7ish years... but over the last few they've either ran dry or quit. They're going to need to be a little more creative, but it will be worth it. I loved when the season tickets were old arenas or arenas from around the state.

(10) Nordy would be ok if he was somewhat related to the team... Orange, seriously? He's suppose to be a bear. Not, walking sherbet.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I've never been cold in the upper bowl.

Polica is not a hockey friendly sound.

and...re: the acts that the large venues get...Bands know what their draw is and contract venues accordingly.

just because you have decent taste in music doesn't mean most hockey fans do--they'd get 17,000 complaints about the music if they went off the grid instead of 1,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad