Speculation: Xcel Energy Center - Upgrades/Updates + Arena Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Mays Here*

No need for the smaller screens on the upper level of the scoreboard. They serve very little purpose, especially when the score, time remaining, penalties, etc. are already listed on the LED screens above the lower level on both sides of the arena behind each goal.

mn-wild-main-ch_07.jpg

Get rid of the upper section which would allow for much, much bigger LCD/LED screens on the lower section, which would become just one big section similar to what San Jose has, although they would need to jazz it up a bit more than what's at the HP Pavilion as it's pretty bland. And with bigger screens, you could just list the score, time remaining, etc. on the screen itself, again, just like what San Jose does in the picture below:

hp_scoreboard.jpg

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just about any other team's displays would be an improvement :laugh:

Are there any that are worse or more outdated? Just wondering.

What about incorporating some old-school stuff like the Joe? HD displays along with the classic lights showing the score/period/penalties or whatever. Or maybe just something that looks like that? Would add some much needed character to the rink.

3184377090_0e9c1fded3_o.jpg

Billy Mays Here*

No thanks to going old school with it. Newer the better.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
This might be a little off topic but, I think the Wild could do better with social media. Look at what the Penguins and Canucks do. They always have behind the scenes videos and are in contact with the players more. Public relations is actually the word. For example, the Canucks' staff takes pictures of the team and gives people updates of where they are and what is going on at the time. I think the Wild PR just need to bring the players closer to the fans.

Might be pointless to some of you, but it makes the franchise as a whole look better.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Just about any other team's displays would be an improvement :laugh:

Are there any that are worse or more outdated? Just wondering.

What about incorporating some old-school stuff like the Joe? HD displays along with the classic lights showing the score/period/penalties or whatever. Or maybe just something that looks like that? Would add some much needed character to the rink.

3184377090_0e9c1fded3_o.jpg

make that all one giant HD LCD and I don't care what they make the inline graphics look like...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
make that all one giant HD LCD and I don't care what they make the inline graphics look like...

Yeah that's another thought. One massive HD display and then you have the old school graphics for the score and stuff. I just love the look of the old lightbulbs, just takes me back to watching games as a kid and playing hockey. Would fit in with the old time hockey theme.

Met-Center-Memories.jpg

Last edited:

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I only have one main concern about the X. Ever since my first game I have one complaint, and one only. The clap-o-meter on the megatron looks so fake. They need to start making it look legit like every other teams. Because it is such a good measurement of how loud the crowd is.

just ****ing with you

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
I want them to bring back the Organist. Getting real sick of the recorded and replaying of the same 4-5 tunes heard in every arena in the country. Game 4 in Boston, it was refreshing hearing a real organist playing non-organ music! I heard him/her play a Rush song for crying out loud!

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
They need to get away from the junk they are playing I know that much. They played one song that had a low frequency hum and it damn near gave everyone a headache.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
They need to get away from the junk they are playing I know that much. They played one song that had a low frequency hum and it damn near gave everyone a headache.

It could be WAAAAAAY worse, like Katy Perry and all this other garbage I had to listen to at minor league hockey games.

It was interesting that they basically had a "first half of season" and a "second half" playlist though.

They could change it up more than that.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
How about putting a winning team on the ice who cares about scoreboards. The only thing I care about is the Wild with more goals on the scoreboard then the other team!;)

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
How about putting a winning team on the ice who cares about scoreboards. The only thing I care about is the Wild with more goals on the scoreboard then the other team!;)

Well this thread is about the in-arena game experience, not the Wild scoring goals or winning.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
Well this thread is about the in-arena game experience, not the Wild scoring goals or winning.

Isnt the team part of the experience and the rest just there to keep the casual fan entertained? Or don't the fans go to see the game anymore?

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
My dad sent me a pic from a solar bears game and the comment was "Xcel needs one of these badly." He was blown away by how nice the screen was.

We've put "New Trinitron" as the #1 thing that needs changing for the last 6 STH surveys. Replays are worthless on that thing and I have perfect vision.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Isnt the team part of the experience and the rest just there to keep the casual fan entertained? Or don't the fans go to see the game anymore?

So you don't watch replays? You don't watch anything on the display? Wow, probably because its terrible and you can't see anything. Believe it or not, die hard fans like to watch replays and entertaining videos. What are you going to do in between periods? There is a lot of action then, huh?

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
So you don't watch replays? You don't watch anything on the display? Wow, probably because its terrible and you can't see anything. Believe it or not, die hard fans like to watch replays and entertaining videos. What are you going to do in between periods? There is a lot of action then, huh?

I also get to the games before the gates open, and I'll go to my seat and watch the East Coast games as they play them on the screen amongst other things too --- and I go to 15 something games a season.

We can ***** about how sports have become "events" for casual fans all we want, but as you remarked previously, this is a thread on how to improve an in game experience, not how sports are being ruined in this country.

I mean, we can't go back in a time machine to the 1970s (or go to rinks like Johnstown) for old time hockey, that doesn't exist really anywhere anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad