Post-Game Talk: x - KRY line brings back DRY memories

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Montreal and Winnipeg both need to win out to catch the Oilers. Home ice in the first round could be clinched tomorrow night.

The Oilers have only made the playoffs 3 times in the McDavid era but when they do, they do it comfortably. They ain't got no time for this bubble shit.

Reactions: Del Preston

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Anyone in for a go fund me for JP and KY? Send both those kids to Oates and they are 30g scorers next year

This is still an interesting area IMO. Teams always have executives devoted to player development and I’m sure the coaching staff likes to think that they have everything under control, while the players want to have control over their own development decisions in the offseason. There is no doubt that Oates had a major effect on some players, especially in areas of specialization. The Oilers DID bring in Paul Coffey, and faced some criticism for his high salary per day of work etc. He was ousted, but he DID spend time with Bouchard. It will be interesting to watch how things play out. Maybe that type of investment/intervention for young players is worth it. Obviously coaching staff will be paying careful attention to development, and it is commonly accepted that we -and most teams- have a skating coach (Pelletier) on staff... but we don’t have a shooting coach, a face off coach, etc. Whatever.

We are developing a bumper crop of D over the past few seasons. Did we just improve our drafting substantially or did an extra layer of coaching/training have an impact?

Here’s another question that I’ve never seen answered elsewhere: Many other professions/employers allow for a personal development/training budget that can be tapped into. Are NHL teams allowed to pay for extracurricular development activities? Is BioSteel paid for by the team? Does that impact the salary cap? Is this an area where a competitive advantage can be gained if players are given substantially better/potentially expensive options for their development and don’t have to pay out of pocket? Can players bill the team for an Adam Oates consultancy?

Reactions: nally

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
But I think these are the lines we should go with into the playoffs, minus Turris:

Drai - 97 - Pizza
KRY
Shore - McLeod - Ennis
Archibald - Khaira - Chiasson

No. 97 and 29 need to be split in the playoffs if the Oilers want to maximize their potential.
I can't see KRY being effective in a tight checking, physical playoff series.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ennis is done. Looked slow and lazy before being benched, has more energy now but not getting much done. Kass came back from injury, scored a goal, set up McDavid for a goal, had 2 huge hits. This all happened in the first 3 games back. Kass will remind Oil Country what kind of player he can be come playoffs.

Kassian was great in the few games before he got injured, I'm not sure what those other posters were seeing. He was channeling that playoff energy, which made me confident that he'll bring it in the playoffs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is still an interesting area IMO. Teams always have executives devoted to player development and I’m sure the coaching staff likes to think that they have everything under control, while the players want to have control over their own development decisions in the offseason. There is no doubt that Oates had a major effect on some players, especially in areas of specialization. The Oilers DID bring in Paul Coffey, and faced some criticism for his high salary per day of work etc. He was ousted, but he DID spend time with Bouchard. It will be interesting to watch how things play out. Maybe that type of investment/intervention for young players is worth it. Obviously coaching staff will be paying careful attention to development, and it is commonly accepted that we -and most teams- have a skating coach (Pelletier) on staff... but we don’t have a shooting coach, a face off coach, etc. Whatever.

We are developing a bumper crop of D over the past few seasons. Did we just improve our drafting substantially or did an extra layer of coaching/training have an impact?
I really don't think he spent that much time with him though. I know he did a couple times, but it wasn't a lot.

Part of the issue with player development is you can't force guys to do it. The other part is you only have x amount of time you can practice nowadays, so it hampers a team from keeping the centers out after practice to practice on faceoffs or what not.

So it becomes do you work on systems or do you work on specific tasks?

The only thing the team really can do is make recommendations for what the players should work on in the summer. I think this partially why you end up with favoritism from coaches across the league. You have a guy that does everything you ask him to in the summer then the coach gains that trust with that player. Flip side you have a guy with clear weaknesses and he does nothing all summer, then he gets the shit end of the stick from the coach

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I really don't think he spent that much time with him though. I know he did a couple times, but it wasn't a lot.

Part of the issue with player development is you can't force guys to do it. The other part is you only have x amount of time you can practice nowadays, so it hampers a team from keeping the centers out after practice to practice on faceoffs or what not.

So it becomes do you work on systems or do you work on specific tasks?

The only thing the team really can do is make recommendations for what the players should work on in the summer. I think this partially why you end up with favoritism from coaches across the league. You have a guy that does everything you ask him to in the summer then the coach gains that trust with that player. Flip side you have a guy with clear weaknesses and he does nothing all summer, then he gets the shit end of the stick from the coach

I think the most important consideration here is for developing players, not-yet-roster-regulars etc. Always going to be more motivated, and we have failed as an organization historically, at least until recently. Obviously a strong AHL staff is helping and maybe there is an improvement in drafting. But is it a coincidence that we had that extra layer and now we have all of these guys turning into solid pros?

Ultimately mature NHL professionals on long term deals are going to exercise control over their own development for better or worse. You can only “coach” these guys and nudge them in the direction you want them to go, but offering a league-leading professional development budget and brokering connections to pros like Coffey/Oates/Gretzky might be helpful too.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
No. 97 and 29 need to be split in the playoffs if the Oilers want to maximize their potential.

I think in the playoffs we’ll see the DRY line and Mcdavid-JP with a rotating winger.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Imagine being Pulju though.... last year you were out of the league... weren't sure when you would get back and where you were going to play. Now you're on the Oiler's top line playing with the two top scorers in the national hockey league :laugh::laugh:
Hell what might be the best to forwards in the world. And you're put there because the coach sees you as a good fit for these superstars. What a revelation he's been this season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Oilers have only allowed 1 goal against in 4 of the last 6 games.

Twice against Winnipeg, once against Calgary, once against Vancouver.
This team has breakdowns (but all teams do) however they are so much better defensively this year then in years past. They get the puck more often and more often safely, and they really limit opportunities and repeat opportunities.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This team has breakdowns (but all teams do) however they are so much better defensively this year then in years past. They get the puck more often and more often safely, and they really limit opportunities and repeat opportunities.
I think part of it is positioning of our forwards. Even if they are just standing around they seem to be getting in lanes way better. So even if there is a bad turnover the offense only has one option. In the past the guy with the puck would have the option of shooting, skating around or passing.

Lot easier on a goalie when he just has to worry about facing a shooter dead on.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't agree.
McDrai get the best out of each other and should remain together.

Archibald seems like a good fit with the duo. Only issue with that is his TOI.

McD-Drai-Archi
Kahun-Nuge-Pulju
xx-McLeod-Yama
xx-Khaira-Chiasson

xx being Neal/Shore/Ennis/Kassian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad