WWE superstar Elias chirps the city of Toronto and the Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
You're statement still doesn't make any sense, people made fun of wrestling because they used to pretend it was real. No one ever thought Game of Thrones was. Television and Movies make it clear up front if something is true, based on a true story or fiction.

I get what point you're trying to make but it really doesn't work.

People thought wrestling was real 40 years ago. How is that relevant today?

Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Reactions: BonMorrison

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Imagine caring about what others are entertained by.

giphy.gif

Reactions: VickAshley

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You're statement still doesn't make any sense, people made fun of wrestling because they used to pretend it was real. No one ever thought Game of Thrones was. Television and Movies make it clear up front if something is true, based on a true story or fiction.

They haven't tried to pass it off as real for over 25 years.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
So does wrestling for the past 30 years. That's the point we're trying to make.

Which is fair but a lot of this comes across as you're not allowed to dislike what I like. Who cares if people make fun of it if you enjoy it? The Game of Thrones analogy is just weird.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Which is fair but a lot of this comes across as you're not allowed to dislike what I like. Who cares if people make fun of it if you enjoy it? The Game of Thrones analogy is just weird.

When the thread is literally people calling wrestling fans hicks, children, etc on the backbone of completely false statements like us believing it's real, there's gonna be some defensiveness.

See below.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yeah right?

Imagine becoming invested in the success and failure of grown men who you have no relation to while they participate in feats of athleticism for prizes and esteem.

Ridiculous.

I'll stick to sports, thanks!

Edit: I'm sorry there are people that didn't see what I was going for here. Parallelism is hard.

It seems like you've had this in your back pocket for a while. That's fair, considering what you're needing to defend.

Are you also a fan of yo-yo championships, or juggling competitions? These have a few more stakes involved, as it's not entirely planned beforehand.

To each their own, I suppose. Just make sure to have your pajamas and the remote control to turn off the TV just incase your mom checks your room to make sure you're not awake past your bedtime.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

You're telling me what people thought of wrestling 40 years ago has any relevance today? Because it doesn't. They're both entertainment. The only major difference between wrestling and Game of Thrones is that GoT actors (and any other show and its actors, too) have stunt doubles doing any of their dangerous shit and have an off season.

Reactions: BonMorrison

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No, it comes across as "why do you insult something you don't even care about?" Why take the time to make fun of it at all if you don't even understand it? The Game of Thrones analogy works because it is all scripted tv programming. WWE is more Game of Thrones than it is pro sports, yet some sports fans still seem to hold a grudge that these guys are "fake". Get over it.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
When the thread is literally people calling wrestling fans hicks, children, etc on the backbone of completely false statements like us believing it's real, there's gonna be some defensiveness.

See below.

I mean at least it's not about the Leafs anymore?

You're right though, it's a little crazy that people who are posting on a hockey message board in August are giving anyone crap about how they spend their time.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It's probably no coincidence that the majority of people defending wrestling are lounge rats.

It appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's as lowbrow as it gets.

There's more lowbrow people in the world than highbrow.

Just let people have their things.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Lmao that was hilarious. Idk why Leafs fans are so triggered the "villians" do that to every city they go to

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You're telling me what people thought of wrestling 40 years ago has any relevance today? Because it doesn't. They're both entertainment. The only major difference between wrestling and Game of Thrones is that GoT actors (and any other show and its actors, too) have stunt doubles doing any of their dangerous **** and have an off season.

And they can actually you know act... Dwayne Johnson is really the only successful wrestler to transcend into acting. Hogan was terrible, Triple H wasn't terrible but never got a good role, Bautista is a good Drax but we need to see a lot more. Kane was a disaster.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
No, it comes across as "why do you insult something you don't even care about?" Why take the time to make fun of it at all if you don't even understand it? The Game of Thrones analogy works because it is all scripted tv programming. WWE is more Game of Thrones than it is pro sports, yet some sports fans still seem to hold a grudge that these guys are "fake". Get over it.

giphy.gif

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It's probably no coincidence that the majority of people defending wrestling are lounge rats.

It appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's as lowbrow as it gets.

All type of people enjoy wrestling. It is a show. It is silly and stupid most of the time, but it is harmless fun.

As long as you see it as any other entertainment show, I do not see what the problem is.

I think most main stream TV shows are stupid as f*** and appeal to dumbasses, you will not see me belittling people for liking stupid shit. We all do to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad