Post-Game Talk: WSH @ VAN | 10/25/19 | 10PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Picking up the Kuzy convo from the Oil thread, The Caps have to hope for the best. If he doesn't care enough anymore, they cant fix that and they cant really trade him either.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Picking up the Kuzy convo from the Oil thread, The Caps have to hope for the best. If he doesn't care enough anymore, they cant fix that and they cant really trade him either.

I think they could move him if it came to that. It may not be for what they could have 2 years ago, but there are a lot of teams that would take a talented center. I agree though I think you need to hang on and hope he finds something that drives him.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think they could move him if it came to that. It may not be for what they could have 2 years ago, but there are a lot of teams that would take a talented center. I agree though I think you need to hang on and hope he finds something that drives him.

Kuzy is one of those players that if all is well, he is not available. He is only available if there is a dumpster fire. Surely there are teams willing to roll the dice but what you get in return is by its nature highly reduced. The only way the Capitals trade him is if he becomes a locker room problem and they just cant keep him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

It might be more than he doesn’t care. Might need a change of scenery or could be personnel issues impacting him.

he’s absolutely tradable for a decent return unless maybe something big/career threatening is going on behind the scenes.

Jun 15, 2007

Your assessment of Kuznetov's value is way off.

Kevin Hayes got 7x7.1m as a 50 point player this offseason.

Kuznetsov at his current care level is still a near PPG player making 7.8m.

Kuznetnov at his peak care level is a Conn Smythe level player making 7.8m.

You're making him seem like an anchor. He's not. He's just disappointing us because of what he could be.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

You're making him seem like an anchor. He's not. He's just disappointing us because of what he could be.
He's scoring points but he's also been a liability out there and he's not driving play. He may still be a value at his salary, but for a team with Cup aspirations, I'm not sure that's enough from your 1B centerman.

That said, I would like to see him get some shifts with 8. He might care more if he were playing with linemates who could profit better from what he brings.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It might be more than he doesn’t care. Might need a change of scenery or could be personnel issues impacting him.

he’s absolutely tradable for a decent return unless maybe something big/career threatening is going on behind the scenes.
If he does actually have a coke problem... not just partying now and then... that's big. Early months of sobriety are high risk and exhausting.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

You misread my position. I am saying that the Caps would only trade Kuzy IF HE HAD BECOME an anchor. I am not saying HE IS and anchor.

Yes, he is at near a point per game and yet we are talking about playing him at wing because his game is so messed up. Right?
Yes, he was a Conn Smythe level player the year they won the cup and a primary contributing factor for why they lost in the first round the next year. Based on the difference in his play over the two playoffs the disappointment is not about "what he could be", but his effect on the team's chances to win.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That said, I would like to see him get some shifts with 8. He might care more if he were playing with linemates who could profit better from what he brings.

Funny. He is skating with Wilson and Hagelin because they are there to protect him against his poor defensive play.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Funny. He is skating with Wilson and Hagelin because they are there to protect him against his poor defensive play.
I know. But his offensive creativity is his strength and his passion. Protecting him defensively is fine but if it quashes too much of his offense then it's a wash at best. Give him some games with great offensive players. See if he finds his form. Put Willy or Oshie on that line too to cover the D responsibilities. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
His peak reached just because Ovy and Wilson cleared the ice for him. That's why he didn't get Conn Smythe. Ovy was clearly better than him and got most of opponent focus.
He won't reach this level again unless Ovy and Wilson repeat their effort. That's why PPG is not only his current production, it's his usual production.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know. But his offensive creativity is his strength and his passion. Protecting him defensively is fine but if it quashes too much of his offense then it's a wash at best. Give him some games with great offensive players. See if he finds his form. Put Willy or Oshie on that line too to cover the D responsibilities. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I understand what you were saying. Oshie was on his line with him along with Vrana. That's real offensive skill. Vrana was removed because they couldn't win with both Kuzy and Vrana's defense on the same line.

My read is the priority is to get the team playing right and surviving this road trip where the team has little control over the matchups and then try and fix Kuzy after that.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I understand what you were saying. Oshie was on his line with him along with Vrana. That's real offensive skill. Vrana was removed because they couldn't win with both Kuzy and Vrana's defense on the same line.

My read is the priority is to get the team playing right and surviving this road trip where the team has little control over the matchups and then try and fix Kuzy after that.
We'll see I guess. They've been far worse at home than on the road all season, though, so...

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Kuznetsov has got to be the hardest guy to coach in the whole of NHL. Even playing Wilson and Hagelin (seriously, this has got to stop) on his line barely makes a difference. It's still a terrible defensive line.

Man, I thought for sure, after the whole suspension debacle, he would come back an improved and more determined player. I haven't seen it yet.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The biggest issue with the 62-92-43 line is Kuzy doesn't like to cycle the puck or be physical. Because he is too much a possession type player, he's negating the advantages of Hagelin's speed/hard work and Wilson size/hard work. What has impressed me about OV since winning the Cup, is ability to mix it up being a 1st through 4th line player. Kuzy is almost 100% finesse, which is not always good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad