Confirmed with Link: [WSH/PHI] Matt Niskanen for Radko Gudas

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, yeah...mostly.

Neither were very good away from one another either and that was a fair share of the problem as well (with Niskanen being even worse away from him).

It was my take that Niskanen was beat up from the playoff run and that Orlov couldn't be himself without Niskanen at his best. It is certainly not clear to me if Niskanen could recover any or all of what he lost from being beat up. With Orlov my main question is whether he can be a lead dog on his own pair rather than being Niskanen's wing man. If he is playing next to Jensen or Gudas, Orlov is going to have to carry the pairing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I will be 100% floored if Backstrom isn't brought back. He and Ovechkin will retire Capitals and have their numbers raised to the rafters. Leonsis will see to that.

It's corny as hell but certain players are part of his "family" and I think those two are at the top.

I guess I find it hard to manage either of the two directions that issue could go wrong. Leonsis/MacLellan deciding to cut him loose and/or Backstrom suddenly acting like a selfish star hockey player. He doesnt want to be an all star. He doesnt want attention. He isn't going to try and break the bank as a UFA. Can you imagine all the attention he would get if he changed teams? He doesnt want that. He wants a solid contract that allows him to play as long as Ov does.

Reactions: Sam Spade

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Also, just wanted to post this and say "Thanks Nisky!"

ETBJVJDMAEI6RIZVYRID2BA6V4.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Niskanen is irrelevant to that discussion. Its all about Orlov. We will find out of Orlov is really a defensive/PK stud or not. If he is not, it will be Jensen or Gudas fault.

It won’t be irrelevant to the discussion if it comes to that, trust me. I hope they both play well.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Well

The hot take : "I don't understand the trade and I'm disappointed"

Then, I still don't like the trade, the only + it's the cap space

Now, let see how Gudas will play

Bye Nisky and thank you

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

member 303789

Like it. Could possibly lighten Wilson's physicality role a bit also I'm assuming.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Tks. So Our D now looks like this:

74 = $8M
9 = $5.1M
Gudas, Kempny, Jensen all right around $2.5M
Siegs $714K

Thats dirty. Many would kill for such financial setup at D.

And Caps have 3 solid prospects with top-4 potential.

I can see another D move for help at F. Maybe later in the season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Also, just wanted to post this and say "Thanks Nisky!"

ETBJVJDMAEI6RIZVYRID2BA6V4.jpg

Ovechkin collapsing into Nisky's arms during the initial Stanley Cup celebration will be one of the last images I have of Niskanen. The dude gave everything he had to us for five years and brought back a level of respect and accountability post The Oates Atrocities. He'll get a nice video tribute and a standing ovation next year.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Nisky was a warrior and a voice of reason for Caps. He was paid well for that too. So all parties should be satisfied.

As for Gudas and his extension, I can imagine him playing with any of our LD prospects too.

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
DOOOOOOOOOOM. Why does a pair need someone to carry it? What is it that's being carried? Why can't it just be two players playing equally well, complementing one another and fitting their given role(s)?

LOL....Why? Who says? Nobody. It doesn't have to be that way. It just is that way very often. When Carlson and Alzner and Niskanen and Alzner were pairs neither was a leader or wing man. But if you are thinking that Carlson and Kempny play an even role or Orpik and Djoos, then I don't know what to tell you

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Thats dirty. Many would kill for such financial setup at D.

And Caps have 3 solid prospects with top-4 potential.

I can see another D move for help at F. Maybe later in the season.

By comparison, the Pens D salary structure:

Letang 7.25
Shultz 5.5
Dumolin 4.4
Matta ~4.08
Guds 4.0
JJohnson 3.25 (LMAO)
Peterson RFA due a big raise.
All but Shultz have 2 or more years term. JJ has 4 more glorious years.

Have fun with that Jim old boy.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Surprised you like GSVA. I think it's crap.

I think it's a fine enough descriptive measure though I would certainly prefer more robust models than game score for predictive purposes. If this were the only model that painted Gudas in a favorable light then of course I wouldn't put much stock into it, butother WAR/GAR models (along with most simple statistical measures) have Gudas as a superior option as well. I also appreciate good charts and data viz and I think this one is simple enough compared to some of Micah's individual player viz charts.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
They know their shit on the Flyers board, this is savage

Imagine signing best ufa dman of the summer to reasonable deal and then getting from under the contract in his decline just to get better player for barely half the price. It's like dumping last year and half of Filppula on some unsuspecting idiot.
Also it remains to be seen how niskanen looks without orlov.

Jun 15, 2007
I like this trade.

I don't think Niskanen bounces back. We sold a year too late but still got out of the worst of it.

Cautiously optimistic about Gudas but not expecting much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad