Confirmed with Link: [WSH/PHI] Matt Niskanen for Radko Gudas

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Hagelin in 20 regular season games with us, he had 3g-8a-11 pts and was a +7. He was injured a good deal while with the Pens, then was traded to one of the worst teams in the Kings, was injured there as well and then finished up with the Caps healthy and a good fit for the 3rd line/PK. He's a great locker room guy and he leads by example with his effort/hard work.

Yeah I’m in the hagelin camp too. Bura might burn us, but then I’m tired of waiting for him to become consistent

Reactions: GoCaps2004

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hagelin in 20 regular season games with us, he had 3g-8a-11 pts and was a +7. He was injured a good deal while with the Pens, then was traded to one of the worst teams in the Kings, was injured there as well and then finished up with the Caps healthy and a good fit for the 3rd line/PK. He's a great locker room guy and he leads by example with his effort/hard work.

All good reasons why the Caps would choose to keep him. I think some here forget that he was a 40 pt pace player for the Caps. That he wasn't an offensive black hole by any means

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd much rather have the potential of Burk than what Hagelin brings, all things being equal.

Except of course all things are not equal. The Caps will have to pay Burakovsky $3.5m ish to qualify. They can get Hagelin for a good bit less very likely. Hagelin does things the Caps are short staffed for and that Burt does not do. Burakovsky does things the Caps are well staffed for and which Burakovsky has struggled to produce.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Connolly scored 14, 11 and 21 even strength goals over three seasons while playing third line minutes, who's going to replace that?

Bura unfortunately seems to be the odd man out from reading the tea leaves.

Ovi-Kuz-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Hagelin-Eller-Connolly
Jaskin-Dowd-Boyd

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Honestly, does Burky have any value at this point? If we trade him, the team that takes him will likely have to pay his QO which is what? 3.4M a season? Who would be willing to take that on given his shoddy play? Maybe a bottom feeding team with some cap space to spare?

But I kinda think its somewhat likely that we just don't give him an offer and he walks as a UFA

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Burakovsky's QO is exactly equal to his current salary (not AAV), which is $3.25M. Not sure why there's so much confusion about this.

There's not a lot of confusion at least that I am seeing. People being off my $200k are not confused. They are not in possession of all the minutia.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There's not a lot of confusion at least that I am seeing. People being off my $200k are not confused. They are not in possession of all the minutia.

We've gone from being upset that Tom Wilson was "overpaid" 500K to 200K on Bura's deal making all the difference.

I don't see it in either case.

And I honestly don't know what to do about Bura now. I don't know that the Caps mgmt does, either. It has to be hard to base the decision on how he's played because he's been so inconsistent.

So maybe you're buying that, or selling it. Maybe it doesn't change. What's that worth?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Connolly scored 14, 11 and 21 even strength goals over three seasons while playing third line minutes, who's going to replace that?

Bura unfortunately seems to be the odd man out from reading the tea leaves.

Ovi-Kuz-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Hagelin-Eller-Connolly
Jaskin-Dowd-Boyd

Jaskin. Gone. Boyd. Gone-Hershey. Connolly. Gone

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We've gone from being upset that Tom Wilson was "overpaid" 500K to 200K on Bura's deal making all the difference.

I don't see it in either case.

And I honestly don't know what to do about Bura now. I don't know that the Caps mgmt does, either. It has to be hard to base the decision on how he's played because he's been so inconsistent.

So maybe you're buying that, or selling it. Maybe it doesn't change. What's that worth?

Cap space is so hard to come by that I think Burakovsky has played himself off the team. At this point, if they qualified him and signed him at that rate, they would lose another top 6/9 winger and are screwed if he does what he has always done, again.

The only way he stays is if he signs a ufa contract at a solid cut in pay. At this point I am pretty convinced that Burt is too risky and that Connolly wants a job with regular power play time. I think they are gone. Hagelin is a closer call. I don't think any of the 4th line wingers are coming back. I think MacLellan will bring in a Dowd like player and give a Hershey guy a chance.

Just guesses of course.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

You continuously post "3.5M" despite being corrected by multiple posters on multiple occasions. There's also a QO calculator on CapFriendly. I'm not saying this as an argument for/against qualifying Burakovsky (that's a topic for another thread), but simply pointing out that this is real easy to get right and you keep getting it wrong anyway.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You continuously post "3.5M" despite being corrected by multiple posters on multiple occasions..

BFD. Seriously. That $250k is irrelevant and wont effect how the Capitals move forward. If its a big deal to you, enjoy. its minutia to me. Ok??

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
hey.. how much does Niskanen have left in his tank?

He didn't have much in the tank in 2018-19.
If that was just the result of a shortened (and very drunk) off-season, he could rebound nicely in 2019-20. If that was the result of aging and general decline in play (and anyone reading the tea leaves might conclude that's what the Capitals front office felt is the case), then you'll be in for a rough couple of years.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
you calling him 3rd paring d-men?

Kind of?

1d Nope------------------------------------- 2d Nope

3d. In emergency situations --------------4d. Can handle it but not all 82 games/playoffs

5d. Will be great all 82 games, under utilized a bit------------ 6d. Too good for 6d

7d. Too good for being the extra

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He didn't have much in the tank in 2018-19.
If that was just the result of a shortened (and very drunk) off-season, he could rebound nicely in 2019-20. If that was the result of aging and general decline in play (and anyone reading the tea leaves might conclude that's what the Capitals front office felt is the case), then you'll be in for a rough couple of years.

There's a 3rd option here, and that he was playing 2018/19 with some nagging injury that effected his skating but didn't knock him out of the lineup. In that case a rebound is very likely, but as we've said on here, no one outside the organization seems to know anything about that. So maybe BMac knew it was just general decline, not an injury thing and pressed the eject button.

A few other players who all played and partied deep into June last year had solid effort campaigns, so I tend to not buy the "tired from the Cup run" line of thinking. Ovi wasn't tired and no one played as hard in the playoffs then partied like he did.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There's a 3rd option here, and that he was playing 2018/19 with some nagging injury that effected his skating but didn't knock him out of the lineup. In that case a rebound is very likely, but as we've said on here, no one outside the organization seems to know anything about that. So maybe BMac knew it was just general decline, not an injury thing and pressed the eject button.

A few other players who all played and partied deep into June last year had solid effort campaigns, so I tend to not buy the "tired from the Cup run" line of thinking. Ovi wasn't tired and no one played as hard in the playoffs then partied like he did.
I was lumping in nagging injuries into the "short off-season" category. It was less recovery and physical therapy time.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I’m going to give you the unpopular opinion around here. I think he rebounds and most certainly will be in your top-4 with room to play up if needed.

Agreed. I’m not of the opinion he went from the number 1 even strength guy on a cup winner to what we saw for much of last season with no extenuating circumstances. It was just too short a time for his game to fall off that much. He’ll bounce back and the Flyers are going to be very happy to have him.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
All good reasons why the Caps would choose to keep him. I think some here forget that he was a 40 pt pace player for the Caps. That he wasn't an offensive black hole by any means
Where did it go in the playoffs where he had all of one assist despite second-line time? I don't think he distinguished himself much against better competition and it's a very limited sample size to base anything on. His energy and PK work was welcome but he's pretty limited offensively. 15 goals seems all but impossible. Maybe he can hit 10 if healthy and really going. Would you expect anything close to 40 points? I didn't even think his forechecking was that effective against better teams, let alone his ability to create or anything beyond that.
I’m going to give you the unpopular opinion around here. I think he rebounds and most certainly will be in your top-4 with room to play up if needed.
I think there's a decent chance they put him alongside Provorov on the top pair and he does well enough to stick. Not great but he can handle it in the regular season. The underlying stuff may be ugly but Vigneault doesn't tend to care a whole lot about that historically it seems. If they're more of a counterpunching team I'm not sure it suits him ideally in terms of wear and tear but he can stretch teams out provided he's able to get back and retrieve cleanly. I'm not sure I'd want him defending all the time, though, and in general I'd hazard against overloading him with hard minutes. The main dilemma with him is that while he can survive hard minutes he shouldn't really play them but someone has to. Not sure the Flyers have enough flexibility in that regard as-is so it'll probably end up being him. The Caps usage in part led to him wearing down but they didn't really have any alternatives and it's sort of the nature of the beast when that's his game. I'm not sure he'll be a game-changer for them but on the cheap it's got potential provided they play a much more organized style defensively than they did last season.

Reactions: Hivemind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad