Confirmed with Link: [WSH/PHI] Matt Niskanen for Radko Gudas

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

On top of Gudas being one of Philly's best possession defenseman and eating a lot of PK minutes as well. This trade is a home run, or at the very least a double off the fence, especially when you take into account the cap savings.

If McCurdy adjusts the seasons he’s comparing, those charts start to look very different. I guess it comes down to if GMBM believes that these players 2018-19 performance is indicative of their performance going forwards.

Also I guess he’s not super concerned with trading a D that never takes penalties (Nisky) for one that’s constantly in the box (Gudas). The combination of Gudas and Kempny is going to concern me when it comes to PIM.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If McCurdy adjusts the seasons he’s comparing, those charts start to look very different. I guess it comes down to if GMBM believes that these players 2018-19 performance is indicative of their performance going forwards.

Also I guess he’s not super concerned with trading a D that never takes penalties (Nisky) for one that’s constantly in the box (Gudas). The combination of Gudas and Kempny is going to concern me when it comes to PIM.

I guess the real question is the pro scouting angle. What do they see in Gudas? Might be they see a player that in Reirden's world looks wholey different. Use the Kempny example on Gudas. Gudas was playing and Kempny was not but they could see things in his play that better fit the Caps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I don't have access to Micah's other years for the pictures because of the paywall, but even when you take a look at Gudas's last 3 years he's Philadelphia's best possession defenseman (driven mostly by shot suppression rather than generation) on top of having the best on-ice goal results. This is while getting more D-zone starts and facing decently tough competition. And a lot of the new WAR models shine a good light on Gudas while they really don't think much of Niskanen.

Even if you discount Niskanen's last season (a bad idea IMO) Gudas still compares favorably to him over a three year period.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Downgrade for Washington, at least compared to what Niskanen had done prior to last season. Obviously cap clearing move and/or GMBM trying to cash out on Niskanen if he feels he’s about to totally crater. But you can’t really call this one “selling high” if all we got back was a discounted Radko Gudas. Not in love with it, but I understand why it was done. Would have still preferred dumping Nisky for draft picks/prospects and finding a PKer via free agency
I think this is about 3rd round value, I trust that they couldn't have done as good or better than that in futures especially without taking on salary.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Many speculated this could happen.

Many shot it down

Yet it happened. We needed the cap space

But, i can’t remember how Gudas is

Many said Niskanen was target #1 for trade, myself included, for some time.

But again, nobody had Gudas as the return. Nobody. Yet another move we failed to predict.

/womp womp

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Don't listen to the haters, this is a really good move for us. Nisky was great, but, is clearly declining in foot speed, closing speed, and straight away/cutting acceleration.

Gudas was a really good defender last year and is a physical brick. We save a lot of cap, get younger, and have another physical specimen on our team. I love Gudas.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Don't listen to the haters, this is a really good move for us. Nisky was great, but, is clearly declining in foot speed, closing speed, and straight away/cutting acceleration.

Gudas was a really good defender last year and is a physical brick. We save a lot of cap, get younger, and have another physical specimen on our team. I love Gudas.

Niskanen was slowing down. Isnt Gudas just slow? Is he really an upgrade on footspeed? I don't know I am just asking. Gudas never struck me as quick

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Niskanen was slowing down. Isnt Gudas just slow? Is he really an upgrade on footspeed? I don't know I am just asking. Gudas never struck me as quick

I am fine with Gudas not being the fastest player in the world because he will put you into the fifth row every game.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
No matter what anyone's opinion was, everyone pretty much agreed that last year's defense as a whole just wasn't going to cut it. Now we gotta see how everything pans out.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think the more appropriate question was had they traded Niskanen for futures, was there a defenseman as good as Gudas that they could have gotten?
Possibly as good as Gudas but not as good as Jensen based on looking at the rental market last year. And probably not the same money/term, so this might fit better in terms of keeping a path for the young defensemen and resigning the 3rd liners.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Possibly as good as Gudas but not as good as Jensen based on looking at the rental market last year. And probably not the same money/term, so this might fit better in terms of keeping a path for the young defensemen and resigning the 3rd liners.

Remembering what I said about trading Niskanen. His minutes were going to be hard to replace. Lead defenseman on the shutdown pair and 1st pk minutes. Jensen and Gudas can do the pk work. Makes me wonder if that might free Carlson up for the shutdown work.

Orlov Carlson
Kempny Jensen
Djoos/Seigenthaler Gudas??

Gudas can play more minutes than Orpik could

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Not a huge Gudas fan, and I have given thought to having two of Parros' favorite players on the same team, but overall I like the move. The fact that Mac got the Flyers to retain on Gudas is pretty funny.

Thanks for everything, Nisky.

(Kinda surprised the Caps are trying to re-sign Hagelin - not because of his play or fit on the team, but because I don't want any part of Hagelin at $4 million, and will he really take less?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad