Confirmed Trade: [WSH/MTL] Joel Edmundson (50% retained) for 2024 3rd and 7th round pick

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Wasting a retention spot for a 3rd is bad.

You can have a 3rd-4th just as 3rd team in a trade for a retention spot.

Hughes got schooled. Would have waited at the deadline. I guess they wanted him out to free a roster spot for one of the young Ds.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Great guy, dressing room presence, and teammate.

A bad back from the SCF run has made him seriously injury prone. Two years wasted due to it. Played about half a season in each of the last 2 seasons.

Works well with a puck moving D, isn't as physical as he used to be, and doesn't fight anymore (he's a good fighter). He has a crosschecking pass from refs in front of net (like Weber & Chiarot).

He's a #5 D now (was #4 on 2nd pairing with Petry for a while).

Too many LD kids on the team so he needed to be moved.

Really wish him the best! Good luck in Washington, Eddie!

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
50% retained? Why trade him now then? He's a true leader and a mentor for youngsters. Questionable move by Hugues

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes your evaluation of the posts are as accurate as the rest of your Hab fans valuation of Edmundson, way to double down, if at first you don’t succeed try ignorantly attacking someone else.
Yes Habs fans were hoping for a 1st for Edmundson after his unbelievable performance in the playoffs. Then he missed half the year and his play dropped so we said if he bounces back to how he played that year and the playoffs, a 1st should still be possible. He got even worse and still had difficulty staying healthy. As a result, you’ll find most of us expecting (more so hoping since we couldn’t move him this past deadline) a 2nd for him but we got a 3rd and a 7th.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If he's healthy and Washington sucks, they'll probably get at least a 3rd at the deadline for him. Might get a 2nd if he has a bounce back season, especially with 50% retained.

Very good deal for Washington.

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
50% retained? Why trade him now then? He's a true leader and a mentor for youngsters. Questionable move by Hugues
Matheson, Guhle, Jackeye, Harris already on the left side with a few knocking on the door in Laval like Trudeau and Beaudin, and Hutson coming up next year most likely. Needed roster spots. I would've liked a 2nd instead of a 3rd and 7th, but what can you do, he is injury prone

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal

Hughes got schooled. Would have waited at the deadline. I guess they wanted him out to free a roster spot for one of the young Ds.
I think they were worried about his health at the deadline, which considering the last few year was more than fair. And yeah the issues with the left side being crowded as well.

I doubt the retention spot affects much, tbh. Our FA crop sucks this year, and I don't see us retain on long term deals like Gallagher or Anderson. You can trade Hoffman, retain on that for an epic 5th or something, and still have the option to offer retention as a third team.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Yes Habs fans were hoping for a 1st for Edmundson after his unbelievable performance in the playoffs. Then he missed half the year and his play dropped so we said if he bounces back to how he played that year and the playoffs, a 1st should still be possible. He got even worse and still had difficulty staying healthy. As a result, you’ll find most of us expecting a 2nd for him but we got a 3rd and a 7th.
truth be told the ask of a first was probably never a reality and when that was discussed it was met with angry posts insulting those who thought he wasn’t worth that. Speculation about what he could have got if very specific criteria were met etc, etc. All we know for certain is that he was traded and the return for Eddy at 50% was a 3rd and 7th.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Let's be fair it was just a few lunatic fringe Habs fans grossly overvaluing him. Every fan base has them and they are easier to block than give a platform for their homerism rants.

Reactions: dustybreaks

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Issue might have been meritocracy... if you keep Edmundson in the NHL while being awful like he was last year. The guy being sent down might not like it. But then there's Wideman haha

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
He instantly makes the Caps better so they win the trade. Good solid defenseman. No question, the return for Montreal would have been higher at the deadline . I expect Hugo is not done clearing roster and cap space.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly more than I expected he'd get.

Mtl did well even if it wasn't the absurd return that was being pushed by some members of the fan base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad