Confirmed Trade: [WSH/MTL] Joel Edmundson (50% retained) for 2024 3rd and 7th round pick

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
If he stays healthy he can actually play a top4 role with the right partner. Which is pretty good for a 3rd and a 7th.

Big "if" though, his back is the issue.
No worries, I have lost any hope for the Caps next year the past few months and leading up today.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Let's be fair it was just a few lunatic fringe Habs fans grossly overvaluing him. Every fan base has them and they are easier to block than give a platform for their homerism rants.
Naw we got mods in here partaking in the circle jerk of "OHMYYGOD NO 1st??? They were supposed to get 2???"

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Good deal for both teams.
Considering the price tag for what depth D signed for today, I think the compensation makes it worth it for the Caps to limit the cap hit at only 1.75 aav. Doubt they coulda gotten better options on the market for that aav.
If Joel can stay healthy, he can bring a lot to certain aspects to the game.

Reactions: HabsQC

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
To all people trying to chirp with the 1st thing here is the logic :

In the Habs finals run Chiarot = Edmundson and some might say Eddy was better.

Also, Edmunson did previously win the cup. He was a very important piece on the Habs D corps for the finals run and also is very big.

Chiarot went for a 1st the following deadline, while Edmunson didn't play for a whole year and then some.

He had a shitty year last year battling with injuries. I think we got lucky to have anything in return in this market.

But people bringing up the 1st at this point are trolls at best.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
To all people trying to chirp with the 1st thing here is the logic :

In the Habs finals run Chiarot = Edmundson and some might say Eddy was better.

Also, Edmunson did previously win the cup. He was a very important piece on the Habs D corps for the finals run and also is very big.

Chiarot went for a 1st the following deadline, while Edmunson didn't play for a whole year and then some.

He had a shitty year last year battling with injuries. I think we got lucky to have anything in return in this market.

But people bringing up the 1st at this point are trolls at best.

It's not just last year. Edmundson has been battling injuries for two years now. He missed major time with his back surgery after the 2021 run.

A back injury is always a red flag. Prior to that injury, I'd say he was playing like a solid 2nd pairing guy with Jeff petry.

I agree that I didn't expect the Habs to find a taker, but the amount of salary Washington is taking on is not significant.

Reactions: HabsQC

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I’m not with a lot of the people saying he’s slowed down, yea injuries have hampered his last few seasons but he has #1 skills and it was apparent he has then when he plays with guys like Suzuki and caufield, can skate and pass with them easily and set up nice little plays.

Agree he needs to stay healthy but it’s an actual very good pickup if he does! Good luck with him Caps!

See you in the ice

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Why are the caps doing this? You bring a vet like that to add amunitions for a cup run. Not sure what he's gonna bring.
I think they're doing that for somebody else at the deadline. It's like Buffalo signing Hall, just seeing if they can invest for some better assets.

Caps can't do much until the Backstrom situation is figured out, it's going to dictate how they shape the team going forward and he's got a lot of their cap tied up right now. Since they have to wait and see I think they're buying low on guys who, if they can actually get healthy, are going to be worth solid assets at the deadline (especially with retention)

I mean, I guess best case all those guys heal and off-season well (Backstrom included) and suddenly the team doesn't actually look so bad but it's... more likely that any or all 3 don't get it back and kind of don't really matter

Reactions: Rockingred12

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
This is another one of those guys that Montreal fans guaranteed everyone that he would return a 1st and top prospect minimum. Looks like they were wrong.... again.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think they're doing that for somebody else at the deadline. It's like Buffalo signing Hall, just seeing if they can invest for some better assets.

Caps can't do much until the Backstrom situation is figured out, it's going to dictate how they shape the team going forward and he's got a lot of their cap tied up right now. Since they have to wait and see I think they're buying low on guys who, if they can actually get healthy, are going to be worth solid assets at the deadline (especially with retention)

I mean, I guess best case all those guys heal and off-season well (Backstrom included) and suddenly the team doesn't actually look so bad but it's... more likely that any or all 3 don't get it back and kind of don't really matter

But how you know that? It's fans speculating that they did that to flip him.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
But how you know that? It's fans speculating that they did that to flip him.
Well yeah, how many times did I say "I think" in the post?

But it all hinges on Backstrom, that much is basically fact and the GM has basically said as much. So in the meantime, do you think it's more reasonable that they're suddenly trying to compete and making big competitive swings? There's no real point until they figure out if Backstrom is ever going to resemble himself again and if Kuznetsov is interested in dislodging his head from his ass.

The thing that makes the most sense is putting their chips in on guys that they think could be much greater than their recent history due to injury. If they just wanted warm bodies they could sign guys you'd actually expect to be healthy and dress for most of the games. If everything worked out just perfect it could mean playoffs but the Capitals don't have the cap space or assets to fix the gulf at center (because it's all tied up at center) and the team is fine everywhere but the top 6. Pacioretty and Edmundson aren't fixing that, but the natural obvious backdoor exit is that they're both 1 year contracts on "better than slot" players looking to return to form/health, and if they do that makes them abnormally strong deadline assets.

If Pacioretty, for example, manages to play and produce without his ankle detonating he's a top 6 producer with a cap hit of 2-4m that can be retained 50% at the deadline (and obviously that's prorated, so he's about as cheap as you can expect a player to be). That to me makes a lot more sense than the other options.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
This is another one of those guys that Montreal fans guaranteed everyone that he would return a 1st and top prospect minimum. Looks like they were wrong.... again.

Maybe 2 years ago. And even then I think you are exaggerating with the top prospect part just to push your anti-Habs agenda.
Truth is, not even the craziest Habs fan thought Eddy would bring back a 1st at this point.
The year following our finals appearance, yes, we could hope for a 1st, just like the one we got for Chiarot. But since then it's been injury after injury plus a back surgery for Edmundson. That and he played like shit this year.

I still think he can be a useful 4/5/6 D. He has a big body and knows how to play defense. But tbh, I'm surprised we got anything for him at this point in time.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well yeah, how many times did I say "I think" in the post?

But it all hinges on Backstrom, that much is basically fact and the GM has basically said as much. So in the meantime, do you think it's more reasonable that they're suddenly trying to compete and making big competitive swings? There's no real point until they figure out if Backstrom is ever going to resemble himself again and if Kuznetsov is interested in dislodging his head from his ass.

The thing that makes the most sense is putting their chips in on guys that they think could be much greater than their recent history due to injury. If they just wanted warm bodies they could sign guys you'd actually expect to be healthy and dress for most of the games. If everything worked out just perfect it could mean playoffs but the Capitals don't have the cap space or assets to fix the gulf at center (because it's all tied up at center) and the team is fine everywhere but the top 6. Pacioretty and Edmundson aren't fixing that, but the natural obvious backdoor exit is that they're both 1 year contracts on "better than slot" players looking to return to form/health, and if they do that makes them abnormally strong deadline assets.

If Pacioretty, for example, manages to play and produce without his ankle detonating he's a top 6 producer with a cap hit of 2-4m that can be retained 50% at the deadline (and obviously that's prorated, so he's about as cheap as you can expect a player to be). That to me makes a lot more sense than the other options.

My point was that it's teams that are positioned to be competitive that should hire someone like Edmunsdon.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
My point was that it's teams that are positioned to be competitive that should hire someone like Edmunsdon.
And the one you're missing is that the Capitals can try to swing a deal with any of those teams with an additional 50% retained just for kicks if he rehabs well and finds that part of his game again. He's a good buffer for the kids they want to play if they fall on their faces and at the end of the road they can ideally at least get the 3rd back, otherwise they paid in picks what they probably couldn't manage in cap space for the extra D they needed.

End of the day there's not really an outcome that hurts them and they do still have to sell Ovechkin on not completely throwing away their chances at winning. It's important to him, he doesn't want to do a full rebuild, so they''ll toe the line and look like they're trying that until Backstrom is resolved at least.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Edmundson has been cooked since the 2021 cup final run.

Multiple injuries including back surgery since then. His game took a real dive after 2021.
Hughes did reduce cap 1,750,000$ and has obtained a 3rd and 7th round draft pick for an asset with injury issues. The spot in the lineup will go to a current player to develop

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Maybe 2 years ago. And even then I think you are exaggerating with the top prospect part just to push your anti-Habs agenda.
Truth is, not even the craziest Habs fan thought Eddy would bring back a 1st at this point.
The year following our finals appearance, yes, we could hope for a 1st, just like the one we got for Chiarot. But since then it's been injury after injury plus a back surgery for Edmundson. That and he played like shit this year.

I still think he can be a useful 4/5/6 D. He has a big body and knows how to play defense. But tbh, I'm surprised we got anything for him at this point in time.
Nope. Not exaggerating at all and Montreal fans playing the victim again when they are the most zealous in constantly pushing deals that are lopsided in Montreal's favour doesn't work. They are rightfully called out for that.

We saw plenty of Edmundson for PLD + deals in the PLD thread for PLD. That when shot down by Jet fans, we were told we were homers and that Edmundson was worth a 1st plus minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: EquivalentStay

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Savard, Gallagher, Hoffman, Armia, Allen.

5 more
Sarvard traded with retention at the deadline or next summer
gally two years and then like ltir for the last two seasons
Hoffman will be attempted to be traded and will finish the year on injury reserve to allow for call ups to play
armia will be looked to be traded with retention Hopefully traded or bought out
allen stays

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Was going to say is there really no UFA defensemen who are comparable that they could've acquired without giving up any picks, but I doubt they'd get anyone at that low of a cap hit and only for a year.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
The Caps got him at a decent price. They have 3 young guys and no real 7th defenseman. This give them someone with some grit, to help mentor the young guys, and to play if one of the youngsters falters. The Caps basically let Matt Irwin go and replaced him with Edmunsdon.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And the one you're missing is that the Capitals can try to swing a deal with any of those teams with an additional 50% retained just for kicks if he rehabs well and finds that part of his game again. He's a good buffer for the kids they want to play if they fall on their faces and at the end of the road they can ideally at least get the 3rd back, otherwise they paid in picks what they probably couldn't manage in cap space for the extra D they needed.

End of the day there's not really an outcome that hurts them and they do still have to sell Ovechkin on not completely throwing away their chances at winning. It's important to him, he doesn't want to do a full rebuild, so they''ll toe the line and look like they're trying that until Backstrom is resolved at least.
Of course they lose if Edmundson goes down again for the year. But a 3rd round pick in what is probably not a deep draft is not much to risk.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Was going to say is there really no UFA defensemen who are comparable that they could've acquired without giving up any picks, but I doubt they'd get anyone at that low of a cap hit and only for a year.
Good point: contract length becomes a major issue, you can fill a need with a UFA, but you're filling it for 5 years when you only needed one or two.

That might be why Dvorak is kept around: to cover until Beck is ready. If Dvorak was moved, there's no way to fill that gap cheaply if something goes wrong.

Reactions: alphabetical

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad