Confirmed Trade: [WSH/MTL] Ilya Kovalchuk (50% retained) for 2020 3rd round pick

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
The Kings also had to pay him 2.6 mil to play 22 odd games for the Habs to boot and we still got a 3rd.

The Devils paid him to play for the Kings who paid him to play for you and now you are paying him to play for us, all at the same time

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's still a 3rd.

Kovalchuk slowed down a bit. Habs got him for nothing a few weeks ago
Yup, in terms of neutral asset management it's from nothing to a third. Hope those poster's team's management can do it too.

Signed, not a Habs or Caps fan.

Reactions: BrokenFace

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Kovalchuk thrived in montreal because he was given every top playing opportunity... I dont think he fits in with Washington...

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Maybe would of got a second if he didn't slow down but happy with a 3rd and more happy he didn't accept the contract offer for next year let the kids play.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Guess multiple 2nds by multiple teams was a stretch. Single 3rd was reasonable/predictable.

Yup.. I thought we would get a 2nd and someone on top. In any trade deadline, there is nothing "reasonable" to be fair. Could be a situation where the Habs asked Kovalchuk where he would like to go play and trying to make him happy where he circles back to us in July. Who knows.

No conditional pick if he resigns too which is the strange part IMO.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
That 50% is like 70k lol
The amount isn't the issue. The Caps needed us to retain that 50% to fit him under the cap. That should have bumped up the price to a second. You don't retain and sell for fair value at the same time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The amount isn't the issue. The Caps needed us to retain that 50% to fit him under the cap. That should have bumped up the price to a second. You don't retain and sell for fair value at the same time.

Might be a case where the Habs asked Kovalchuk where he wanted to go cause they both agreed to trade him to a contender and he circles back on July 1st? No conditional pick if he re-signs though?

Good luck in Washington Kovy... Hope he does well for the Caps and chips in some offence here and there

Reactions: Edgy

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Literally no sane Habs fan said that. So please stop. A third is what was mostly in discussion.
Not really...there was everything from a First plus a few weeks ago to seconds etc. Personally I said a late second or third. Washington was the obvious team he was going to

Wayland

Feb 28, 2006
3rd line wing with some ability to flex around and play up. Once Eller accepted his similar role as a 3rd line center with the ability to play up when people are injured and still know that he is a valued and important member of the team, he has thrived.

Kovy knows this is a rental. He knows he isn't going to get 1st line minutes. He is going to get to play hockey with his 'boys' for a couple months. Think it is a great trade, medium ceiling and basically nothing lost but friendship if it doesn't work.

Reactions: CDN24

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Looks like all of Bargain Bin's grandstanding didn't up the price.

Either way something about money found...

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Don't love it as a Caps fan. I don't think he's what the team needed, with their limited cap flexibility. But I recognize that the cap space, with a reluctance to deal from their active roster, probably limited what they could do. The price is cheap enough that, meh, I guess it can't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad