Confirmed Trade: [WSH/MTL] Ilya Kovalchuk (50% retained) for 2020 3rd round pick

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
While it's a great story [Ovy and Ilya are obviously friends], I'm not sure what the Caps are going to do with him.

Their top 6, while underperforming lately, is still, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wilson, Kuzy, Oshie and Vrana. He's not displacing any of them.

Their 3rd line is more of a shutdown line and the only one off that line I'd consider him replacing is the opposite winger in Panik.

I don't think he'd be on the 1st PP unit and the way the Caps dedicate so much of each PP to their 1st unit, it's hard to see his impact on the 2nd unit.

I think Montreal's GM did a good job turning him into a 3rd rounder. I think the Caps got a skilled player in limited spurts at a fair price, but I'm just not sure where he fits in with one exception. If this is a depth move, then maybe OK. Last year, when Oshie got hurt in the Carolina series, it would've been nice to have a player of Ilya's caliber available on the bench for a limited stretch.

Ofc it is. You said it yourself, Caps dont want to be in a similar situation like last years playoffs.

He wasnt brought in to fill a specific spot. He's going to be a great utility player, he can play on the first, second or third line when needed and knows how to play the PP if asked.

Not sure why people are trying to make this some sort of puzzle, it really isnt. Caps got a great player with basically no caphit at a very very decent price.

Reactions: max21

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
We retain 50% and only get a 3rd?! Bergevin got fleeced, hard.
No that's the agreement he had made with Kovi when he picked him up.

["Kovy wanted a chance to win the Stanley Cup this year. His choice was to go to Washington," shared Bergevin of the 36-year-old, who scored six goals for 13 points in 22 games in Montreal. "We worked together and we made a trade that was good for the player, but also for the organization. Trading Kovy to a place he wouldn't have liked was not in my plans. I tried to do what was right for the organization."]

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Giving up a pick for a player you could have easily signed in the off-season seems like a L to me.
What is a trade deadline?

What benefits do trade deadline moves have?

How does prorated and retained salary cap work?

Go ahead and answer these three questions and circle back around to see if you still don't understand why a team would trade for a player at the TDL but have 0 interest in them in the off season.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Unforgivable. 30 spots dropped in the draft to stay on good terms with a 36 year old UFA.
But yet he did nothing for

andrei-markov-2017-45.jpg

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
You've got to try Kovy with Kuznetsov at least a bit. If they are remotely on the same wavelength it might fire up Kuzy who looks in need of some motivation and Kovy will get chances left, right and centre. I might even be tempted to up Eller to 2nd and make Kovy/Kuzy/Hag the 3rd for a bit, see if they get slightly easier matchups.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
From healthy scratch to waivers to worth a 3rd round pick.

Blake, McLellan, Desjardins: all clueless. And the worst thing is: even a blind person could see that they're mishandling the situation!

New GM + Gallant next summer.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I mean say anything you want but in this case Bergevin is a big time winner, signed Kovy for minimum, got the fans and media attention, won some games and got a free 3rd pick.

If somehow Jackets don’t make the post season, Washington will have my support

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'll have to cheer for Washington in the playoffs now
yeah 5 weeks of service obviously means unending loyalty from the fan base.

I thought that the one year Radulov love was bad, 5 weeks of kovalchuck and years from now some fans will still be pining.

jesus.

Reactions: Tuggy

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
yeah 5 weeks of service obviously means unending loyalty from the fan base.

I thought that the one year Radulov love was bad, 5 weeks of kovalchuck and years from now some fans will still be pining.

jesus.

I think there are still Kostitsyn fanboys here.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I find the idea of retaining half of $700k absolutely hilarious.
I mean with the top echelon of teams the cap becomes so tight that being able to add players does come down to that type of money. At full league minimum it would really limit the possibilities for the Caps

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019
Giving up a pick for a player you could have easily signed in the off-season seems like a L to me.

I agree 100%! You get him for free in the off-season, pop him in a time machine and then use him for the last 2 months of the previous season when you needed him and could fit him under the cap.

It's simple math, people.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
M

Maybe he wants to sign him as a free agent in the off season. So he didn’t want to spoil his relationship with the player over a marginally better return.
That would also not be smart.

You would do something like that for someone who has been a lifer in the organization

Jul 6, 2016
M

Maybe he wants to sign him as a free agent in the off season. So he didn’t want to spoil his relationship with the player over a marginally better return.

Once Kovalchuk will get the taste of what is a REAL contending team, he will stick with them or similar teams like Washington. Or retire in California in his rich mansion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00