Confirmed Trade: [WSH/MTL] Ilya Kovalchuk (50% retained) for 2020 3rd round pick

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Remember when Habs fans insisted that Kovalchuk would bring back a 1st or 2nd? Shocking, he brought back exactly what a bunch of comparable players have brought back.

I do find 50% retention on a league minimum deal hilarious, though. How pressed for cap are you that you need that? :laugh:

No, the idea was that unless he gets a 2nd or a comparable, then the habs should look at the idea of keeping him around.

Thats not exactly the same as saying, he will get a 2nd. Its an indication that he brought some value to the organization that would at least make you think of bringing him back.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hopefully Kovy will improve Caps PP this year for Caps too, it is crucial for them in order to succeed in playoffs. Even at 36, the guy still has an elite shot. Overall, solid signing

There is next to no chance that the Caps use Kovulchuk on the power play.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
There is next to no chance that the Caps use Kovulchuk on the power play.

You do know there are two PP lines right? If teams send out their best to counter PP1, then trot Kovalchuk, Orlov, Vrana, Eller, Wilson out there for PP2... that is also quite as deadly.

PP1 - Ovechkin, Carlson, Oshie, Backstrom, Kuznetsov
PP2 - Kovalchuk, Orlov, Wilson, Eller, Vrana

That is quite an insane amount of talent on the PP. I can't think of another team that can trot out talent like that just on PP's alone.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The Habs should have moved him three weeks ago, that is the issue people have.
We don't know that. We don't know what was the agreement between Kovalchuk and Bergevin when he signed. We also don't know if there were better offers from other teams.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Good deal for all sides.

Kovalchuk got an opportunity to prove that he can score in spurts when given good ice time. This is invaluable to playoff clubs whose lives will depend on random offensive spurts--particularly so when injuries hit.

Capitals get insurance so they've got a legitimate threat should Oshie or someone else be injured in the playoffs. Rare to have players like Kovalchuk who can step in and be a game-breaking talent--if only for a game or two.

Habs get a third for being the medium for Kovalchuk to display this.

For all those saying that they thought Kovalchuk was worth a 2nd--he was. Foreseeably his production tailed off when injured players returned. Had his production not tailed off, he would have been worth more than an injury replacement depth offensive player (slightly), and thus been worth a 2nd.
This sums it up perfectly.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You do know there are two PP lines right? If teams send out their best to counter PP1, then trot Kovalchuk, Orlov, Vrana, Eller, Wilson out there for PP2... that is also quite as deadly.

PP1 - Ovechkin, Carlson, Oshie, Backstrom, Kuznetsov
PP2 - Kovalchuk, Orlov, Wilson, Eller, Vrana

That is quite an insane amount of talent on the PP. I can't think of another team that can trot out talent like that just on PP's alone.

Ovechkin plays both units.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
3rd makes sense but gotta say Bergevin has done a pretty good job with Scandella and Kovy. Scandella he got for a 4th but also traded Mike Rielly for a 5th to make space for Scandella. Month later he turned Scandella into a 2nd and conditional 4th and signed Kovy when most didn't think he had anything left and was able to get a free 3rd basically.

Two months of Kovy got them a 3rd and a month and a half of Scandella got them a second and potentially their 4th back for him, solid work for a team trying to build

Bergevin is one of the best GMs in the league when it comes to getting good value on trades. It's the larger scheme of things where he fails at.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Great we'll give you guys 150 000 for your 3rd rd pick. Peanuts in the life of billionaires.

You only have 3 retentions. Imagine signing a contract and a team comes in and says we'll retain half of it for a late 3rd/early 4th round pick. Would you do it?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Not bad. I like it as a Caps fan, would like it at as a Habs fan.

Did not expect Caps to do anything else but they surprised me here

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Kovalchuk is now simultaneously taking up cap space on 4 different teams

Devils (retirement cap), kings (35+ contract termination), Canadiens (retained salary), Capitals (plays for them now)

Has a player cast his net so wide before?

Reactions: ovythegiraffe

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Too low return IMO. Montreal should've kept him at that price. They're not gonna make the playoffs, but fans like him and he brings something for them to remain interested despite the fact that the team sucks. Kovalchuk might really help the Capitals. I expected a 2nd at least.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Too low return IMO. Montreal should've kept him at that price. They're not gonna make the playoffs, but fans like him and he brings something for them to remain interested despite the fact that the team sucks. Kovalchuk might really help the Capitals. I expected a 2nd at least.

Nah he earned it with how he handled himself in Montreal. This also gives them the best chance to resign him this summer since there's no way the Caps will and Bergevin showed himself to be considerate. This was smart all around

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018

We have no chance of making the playoffs and if he wants to re-sign here he has a chose comes UFA time. No point keeping a guy who you can't extend right now and 2020 is a super deep draft.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Kind of the perfect storm for Montreal fans. Better than nothing, but still not as much, that you have to compliment MB. :thumbu:

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Why the salary retain, 50% is like 70k right lol? Had they just paid him in advance already?

Kovy and Ovy in the same team is awesome, wonder if they'll reduce Ovy's pp time now

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Did anyone yet mention that Hagelin did actually play for the Kings.

I believe it was something like 20 games and on a line with Kovalchuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad